Good news from AMD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news from AMD

AMD released their B3 stepping update for their quad CPUs, and there are tons of reviews out there.
    Here are a couple of good ones:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Processor Review - B3 Stepping

Higher Clock Speeds, No TLB Issues and Better Pricing: The New Phenom

Prices:
    * $235 AMD Phenom X4 9850 “Black Edition” processor
    * $215 AMD Phenom X4 9750 processor
    * $195 AMD Phenom X4 9550 processor

Gaming benchmarks are here
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=3272&p=12

Here is the bottom line for the chips, and the future as well:
    "Now this is more like the AMD we're used to seeing. It's not quite the performance dominating AMD of years past, but it's a competitive AMD. The Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition is, despite its lower performance in many cases, an actual competitor to Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600 thanks to its price. The value is even more impressive if you happen to have a Socket-AM2 motherboard that can accept a 9850 as a drop in replacement.

AMD does continue to have some weaknesses, mainly when it comes to DivX and gaming performance and neither of these areas are going to get fixed while remaining on an unchanged architecture. That being said, AMD is standing in a much better space right now and is competitive enough that Intel had better be paying attention.

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 is becoming long in the tooth and could stand a quick transition to the Q9300, which Intel appears to have scheduled for next quarter. The $266 price point, while very aggressive, leaves a lot of room for AMD to come and play in the $175 - $250 space. Intel needs cheaper quad core offerings, especially once AMD starts shipping its triple core Phenom in retail.

If you're building a new system, Intel is still the way to go and once 45nm pricing/availability works out the value proposition will only improve. What's changed is that AMD is now a realistic alternative. Just four months ago there was no point in even considering Phenom, but today it is a viable alternative. If AMD could simplify its lineup a bit and squeeze some extra frequency headroom out of its chips, all while keeping its aggressive pricing we may just have a return to competition in the desktop CPU space.

Exciting times are ahead as well. AMD seems very confident in its 45nm transition, which should bring about higher performance and clock frequencies. Around the same time we'll be seeing the very first Nehalem CPUs from Intel, and before we know it it'll be 2009 and time to talk about Bulldozer. I've always said that AMD had a good roadmap, it just needs to be given the chance to execute on it; these new Phenom processors may able to buy AMD the time it needs to do just that."

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Good news from AMD

great news. AMD is trying to build a plant here in upstate NY. I am hoping their company does well and the plant gets built.

Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough! Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I like it best when AMD dominates for a couple years then Intel dominates for the next couple.

Looks like there is hope this will be the case.
      Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

THAT IS NOT GOOD NEWS!

Now iv'e got to find more money for my craving *Wink*
        sigpic
        "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

I was looking at some benches for them yesterday and I'm impressed so far. They need to bump up there FSB from 800. That is whats holding them back I bet. The gaming benches I saw that used a variety of cpu's but with a 3870 512mb showed that once you reach 1680x1050 it didn't really matter what chip you had, you were GPU bound.

Comment

I haven't read up completly on the subject, but my understanding is that since AMD uses a built in memory controller, it means that a lower FSB doesn't matter as much. That controller is one of the things that has kept AMD up and in the past ahead of Intel. In fact, starting with Nehalem at the end of the year, Intel is also going with the built in memory controller.

And you are correct about the CPU not mattering to a point due to a GPU bottleneck, but that only applies to gamers, while many people depend on them to be as fast as possible for video editing and numbers crunching, etc.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Waiting for quad cores to hit my $150 sweet spot. Good to see that it won't be too much longer.

Comment

I'm a AMD fan and i'll wait till they drop (maybe this summer) :)
                |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  I haven't read up completly on the subject, but my understanding is that since AMD uses a built in memory controller, it means that a lower FSB doesn't matter as much. That controller is one of the things that has kept AMD up and in the past ahead of Intel. In fact, starting with Nehalem at the end of the year, Intel is also going with the built in memory controller.

And you are correct about the CPU not mattering to a point due to a GPU bottleneck, but that only applies to gamers, while many people depend on them to be as fast as possible for video editing and numbers crunching, etc.
                  You mean you can do more with your computer then game!? :madsmile:

I thought that the onboard memory controller was an advantage back in the amd64 vs. P4 days and why amd was ahead there. Now with the C2D chips I thought that the advantage of the onboard was not really that great? All I know is that every bench shows the amd chips fall behind even at the same clock speeds, I figured the cache and fsb made the difference in intels favour?

Comment

I think you are right, the new 1066 and very new 1333 FSB has really helped intel surpass AMD in the last year, but from what I read, the Nehalem has a lower FSB, but now has a memory controller.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

When a signal moves from one medium to another (like through a connector or chip pin) some noise results. This is caused by large and small impedance mismatches that cause reflections, similar to sharp bends in a water pipe.

Putting the memory controller on the same die as the CPU reduces the number of signals that need to go from chip (where signals are very fast) to circuit board (where they must slow down a lot due to larger geometries and different impedances).

The reason you put different functions in different chips is modularity: To allow one function to be upgraded in isolation while the other stays the same. Modularity can improve reliability (because the separate functions can be more easily tested separately) but it can also lead to loss of performance. It's a trade-off, and picking the right trade-off is an engineer's job.

You also see this trade-off in operating systems: Linux and similar OSs place high value on modularity, while MS introduces large amounts of coupling in the name of "integration". (Software engineers consider coupling to be Bad. Coupling means that changing something in one place can cause bugs to appear in a completely different and unexpected place.)

In my own work in automation (robotics), I design for low coupling and then reintroduce it as needed to meet performance requirements.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I read this over at ExtremeTech about cpu and gpu coming together on a single chip.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2279785,00.asp
                        The Old Guy
                        kin3
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, there is a lot of that chatter going on.
                          In fact, I read the other day the CEO or something of Intel said the end of the GPU is near, and with their CPUs like the 8 core, it will have enough extra horsepower to due the GPU calculations.
                          But there are arguements on both sides:
                          Intel believes Nvidia is panicking
                          Intel FUD presentation is out, CPU is better than GPU

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Haha,
                            Here is even more from Intel just out

People "probably Won't" Need Discrete Graphics Cards Anymore - Intel

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X