Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Responsible for Nearly 30% of Vista Crashes in 2007

From Gizmodo:

"Yes, nearly 1/3rd of every single Vista crash was caused by NVIDIA drivers, and that includes all the computers out there that, you know, don't have an NVIDIA graphics card."

http://gizmodo.com/373076/nvidia-res...rashes-in-2007

Re: NVIDIA Responsible for Nearly 30% of Vista Crashes in 2007

I wonder what kind of crashes they mean. I frequently got nVidia driver crashes, but unlike in previous Windows versions, Vista is able to restart the driver without bluescreening. So, essentially the screen would go black for 5 seconds then show a pop message saying the video driver crashed, not a huge deal.

Comment

This would probably be the ones where you blue screen and it comes back and asks if you want to send info to Microsoft.
      The internet is talking about this everywhere since the report was released a couple of days ago, and is interesting since all the people hating on MS actually need to blame Nvidia. (Ok, some to MS :D)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Funny, Nvidia drivers seem to work pretty well on 2K and XP. Clearly Nividia is the party at fault here.

Comment

Hmmm... that's pretty good considering a lot of users have nVidia cards. Check out the Steam hardware survey and you'll see there are more nVidia cards than ATI. Stats can be skewed pretty easily, huh? ;)

http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Maybe, but when you consider that only 9% were caused by ATI, and 15% by Microsoft, even both those together don't equal the 30%+ by Nvidia.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Pretty easy to hit that 30% mark when the most popular motherboard chipsets are nVidia. Not to mention the rather faulty documentation given to the driver developers by M$ concerning Vista. I know, I have a copy of that documentation.

Comment

Finally, the blame is getting laid on a responsible party and not Microsoft. Honestly, people need to think and research before laying down blame.

30% seems a bit low. I seem to see more people running nVidia chipsets and graphics cards than I do ATI/AMD users.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I find it funny that the total comes to 100.3%

:P

POE2 Developer

Comment

I find it funny you've never seen rounded figures.

Comment

I find it funny you missed the sarcasm and the smiley.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                        Pretty easy to hit that 30% mark when the most popular motherboard chipsets are nVidia. Not to mention the rather faulty documentation given to the driver developers by M$ concerning Vista. I know, I have a copy of that documentation.
                        I'd love to +rep if I could.

nVidia has a strong incentive to make this work, because it's going to sell more bleeding-edge DX10 cards.

Poor documentation combined with the DRM-based signing requirement that makes it hard to beta test is really going to cripple driver writers.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I just finished building a vista + 8800gt + 680i system for a friend and I am extremely dissapointed. If you go to the nvidia forums for their forceware drivers there are several 80 - 100+ page threads on the this very problem. My friends system can play games for hours on end fine and yet the next day crash in under 15 minutes. It can be COD4 or solitare it doesn't matter.

What Im really dissapointed about is all the glowing reviews for the 8800GT cards that not one noted this common problem. If I had have known I would have bought him XP instead of vista, now he may have to buy both just to have a functioning system. :row__628: Im not sure where the blame lies but nvidias forums have been fairly silent on giving updates on progress.

Comment

LongBow, it could still be some kind of a hardware problem. My old gateway computer would crash just like that. And I tried everything to fix it, including 2 reformats. Turns out some memory I added was doing it. Even though I had 2 sticks of 512 memory, when I put the newer stick in the 1st slot and the older stick in the 2nd, crashes stopped.
                            And the whole time, when it would reboot it would say the video card drivers were at fault!!!!! I spent hours on the phone with ATI tech, which was long distance so I actually paid for the call.

Just saying, you can almost never rule anything out.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I do need to run a better memtest to be sure, your right Bamboo.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X