Good things about Vista.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good things about Vista.

I am writing this because I see lots of bad stuff about Vista and very few goods things.

I installed Vista Ultimate about a week ago at home*. After a week I have to say it is very, very nice.

Things I like.

-Windows Movie Maker actually works! I had so many problem with it on XP. Now it is pretty good for basic home video editing. I had Premier Elements installed and decided I didn't need to buy it.

-It looks really nice.

-It plays all my games just fine.

-The sidebar is actually kinda cool. I thought it was gimmicky at first but I am constantly using the calendar, contacts and calculator that I installed.

-Free cell looks pretty good now.

-Something odd I noticed, and I don't fully understand it, but other computers on my home network automatically see and can play my songs on the vista machine. They are XP.

-Networking and sharing generally is just easier, even on a home network.

-Media center is built in. I don't really use it but still.

-The folder views are nice and useful. Being able to select a photo and see it at a decent size and be able to modify all the file information is sooooo much better than XP.

-CD and DVD burning is much better. I was able to uninstall my OEM nero suit that came with my DVD burner.

-My download/upload speed increased? This may be coincidence but I am now consistently getting about 25-50k faster downloads.

-Securing/encrypting files and folders is now better.

-Search is not bad! I have live mail and searching looks at files and in emails.

These are just after a week. I don't remember being so surprised with XP after a week.

Please, feel free to add to this list.

*I had it installed on a couple of computers at work but never really used the OS. I did it on secondary machines to make sure our development environment and apps would work with the new OS.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Good things about Vista.

See:

Tactical Gamer > Social Groups > Vista Users
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Thanks for posting this man. I am so sick of listening to all the crap in the projectreality.com hardware forum with all the complaints about Vista that I have pretty much given up helping out people there.
      For instance, one kid has started 3 threads about 4 days apart all titled Vista Sucks! or something like that and has NO clue what he is talking about. He says his friends computer won't play PR, and so of course it must be vista.
      Yes, vista has some problems, but just sick of all the complaining. XP is still for sale.

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
      I am writing this because I see lots of bad stuff about Vista and very few goods things.

-Windows Movie Maker actually works! I had so many problem with it on XP. Now it is pretty good for basic home video editing. I had Premier Elements installed and decided I didn't need to buy it.

I just made a movie the other day with it. I had lots of problems with it crashing constantly on XP

-It plays all my games just fine.
      Same here so far. BF2 was buggy at 1st, but no more than with XP, and somehow the bugs have worked themselves out now.

-The sidebar is actually kinda cool. I thought it was gimmicky at first but I am constantly using the calendar, contacts and calculator that I installed.
      I keep a meter runing that shows all 4 CPU cores usage, as well as RAM usage. Also got this cool one that lets you shut down, restart, and go directly to task manager, with

-Free cell looks pretty good now.
      I actually got kind of addicted to Freecell 2 months ago. But when I try to play at work on XP, I can't stand it. Also, try the Mjong Tiles game, and check out the backgrouds for it and then wait to see what happens when you win. It blows XP away.

-Search is not bad! I have live mail and searching looks at files and in emails.
      I really like hitting the Windows key and type the first couple of letters of a program and it auto pops up the icon, like Paint for instance, or anything else.
      Here is my sidebar, pretty clean but constantly used

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I just built my new system and put on a dual boot Vista64Ultimate/XP and so far Vista has been great. I don't even see myself using the XP partition now that I have Vista. I think perhaps waiting all this time and for SP1 to come out did the trick. Too bad Nvidia and MS couldn't have gotten Vista to this level before the initial release. Things might have gone a lot differently.
        Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Never run a .0 release. Pre-SP1 of any MS OS should be considered a beta. SP1 should be considered the gamma, and SP2 the real release when things are stable enough for the conservative shop. Alas, few remember their experience with the previous OS. XP SP1 was the first usable version, and it still had more security holes than a block of Swiss cheese. (SP2 spackled over the holes with a default-on firewall.) Before XP, Win2k had the same problems following NT4.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I have vista 32 on my laptop, XP on my gaming comp and vista 64 on my friends system I built. I have more issues with the vista computers then the XP. Not saying its all vista problems though.

I do enjoy some of the features and layout of vista but I hate some of the redundant crap built in. If your user is logged in with admin privillages it seems to mean nothing. I hate having to click yes one or two times to run an install only to find out I had to right click, run as admin blah blah. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

My big beef is the nvidia + vista issue, a pain for sure. However if it gets fixed soon then I will be happy.

One thing I have found with my home network is that vista has some problems with connection when doing updates. However I really like the networking help options ex. I can reset my connection from my laptop.

Overall I have found vista not bad but besides the gadget bar on the side I havent found it any better then xp for my needs. I will get it on my gaming rig in the future but only to stay current not because I really need any of its features.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post
              I do enjoy some of the features and layout of vista but I hate some of the redundant crap built in. If your user is logged in with admin privillages it seems to mean nothing. I hate having to click yes one or two times to run an install only to find out I had to right click, run as admin blah blah. Annoying but not a deal breaker.
              You can easily turn that off. I did it the 1st week, and haven't been bothered since.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I looked up how to do it, dissabled it and I still get them. I will have to figure out what I did wrong (still my ignorance is some how vistas fault ;) )

Comment

I turned UAC off right away. :)
                  Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Superfetch = awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoopy View Post
                      Superfetch = awesome.
                      Yes!

I noticed that even if I have a game running in the background the current application doesn't hiccup like it did on XP.

The startup is also much better. As soon as I get to the desktop I can start launching programs. On XP I had to wait until all the startup tasks completed loading.

And the sleep/hibernate modes actually work and get to the state quickly.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I found enough problems with vista when I had it in a dual-boot to take it off but a few of the things I found much better than XP were:
                        -the search function actually finds things now
                        -networks were more easily setup
                        -the Windows Picture and Fax viewer showed pics much better. It sized them better etc.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          Yes!

I noticed that even if I have a game running in the background the current application doesn't hiccup like it did on XP.

The startup is also much better. As soon as I get to the desktop I can start launching programs. On XP I had to wait until all the startup tasks completed loading.

And the sleep/hibernate modes actually work and get to the state quickly.
                          Good points I forgot to mention them. I hate the waiting game with XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Bow View Post

My big beef is the nvidia + vista issue, a pain for sure. However if it gets fixed soon then I will be happy.
                            Alright, it is the User Account control and it gets turned off in the User Accounts in the Control Panel. It should ask you to restart the computer for these changes to take effect and when you do you should no longer have all the security questions popping up asking you to confirm everything you do.

So far I have no issues with Nvidia and Vista. My card has worlked fine for me except for it getting overheated and the drivers stop responding. That is Nvidia's fault for not putting an good enough cooler on the card and not Vista, in XP that would have caused a shut down or a completely black screen. In Vista it pops up and telling me the video card drivers are not responding. After doing some reading around on EVGA web site the drivers were designed to do this to keep the video card from frying. To me it use to tick me off but not anymore. I know the card is still under warranty but I sure would hate to go without my computer for however long it would take to get it RMA'ed.
                            I am not sure of the problems with the Nvidia and Vista people are referring to but with any new O/S there is always some adjusting for the hardware manufacturers. Looks like Vista is so complicated that it is taking a while for the manufacturers to understand it.

Look at Creative... The drivers I first installed I had some issues with my sound but the latest drivers I have none, so far. Considering how long Vista has been out it would appear that the hardware manufacturers are just starting to understand it. Thinking on those lines makes me think of XP, the same was with it as well.
                            I had read that the software would take 3 years to catch up to the hardware but I believe the hardware still needs to catch up for 2 things.... Crysis and Vista.

Vista is like XP as far as people not wanting to learn a new O/S. People griped and grumbled over XP as well. After it became the main stay now people do not want to make the change again and when they do they expect Vista to run on the older hardware. A few people I had known when XP came out had thought and did the same. They ended up buying new hardware or a new computer cause the performance just was not there if they upgraded from 98 or ME. Each O/S that comes out is going to have more demands on the hardware so the hardware needs to be able to run it and the people also need to learn about that O/S before condemning it.

The only thing I see wrong with Vista is my knowledge of the O/S and the fact it is taking a while for hardware manufacturers to get good drivers. My hardware is decent enough to run Vista good cause I designed my system with Vista completely in mind and the fact I knew it was more demanding than XP was. I ressearched products to make sure they had somewhat decent drivers, only issue I had so far was the Creative drivers but that seems to be fixed.

Long Bow, this whole article is not intended solely for you but anybody that has put downs for Vista. I can always come back with something to put down XP as well. Definitely after XP's release to the public till SP2 came out. I can only imagine what Vista will be like when SP 2 comes out for it or even SP3.

Comment

MSDZ
                              With your gfx card and cooling, I am having some crashes lately with ARMA, and I think it is from it getting to hot as well. I turned up my case fans to MED. last night after a crash, and it didn't happen again. Going to try setting the fans to MED. before I start tonight to see if it does it again.
                              It never happened before the 1.11 beta patch though so I am not sure. After the reboot from BSOD though, it always says Nvidia's fault.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X