Spyware!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyware!

Okay, let me start by saying that even if you have firewall and an anti-virun system on your computer, you probably have spyware. Spyware/Adware can cause unneeded memory usage, CPU usage, pop-ups, spam and even give out personal information to others. That being said, here's how to get rid of it:

Spybot - Search & Destroy

This program does exactly what its name says; it searches your computer for spybots, tracking cookies, adware, dialers, hijackers and any other harmful software and destroys it. Spybot-S&D gives a list of the spybots found on your computer, thier location, and what negative effect they have. It also comes with an Immunization program to stop spybots from being downloaded in the first place! Spybot-S&D looks for 13758 different known spybots. It will also backup the files in the event having them was part of a license agreement and you need them back. The Immunizer starts up with Windows everytime and runs in the task tray.

Note:Download the protection upgrades first, then the program.

Spyware Blaster

This program doesn't search for spyware, it stops it in the first place. Protecting against ActiveX-based spyware, tracking cookies and pretty much everything Spybot-S&D deletes SpywareBlaster is one of the most powerful spyware blockers out there (and free). It protects Internet Explorer and Mozilla/FireFox from 3199 different spybots and keeps up to date. You need not even start it up everytime with Windows to take effect. In addition, SpywareBlaster can take a 'System Snapshot' with different settings that can be used to restore those settings in the event of spyware taking over. It also has custom blocking of web pages, a hosts safe and a flash killer (to stop those ads that use Flash player).

SpywareGuard

Made by the developers of SpywareBlaster, this program blocks spyware but does two things in addition. First, it has a real-time scanning engine to scan .exe or .cab files before they are opened to intercept spyware before it is installed. The other programs can do nothing if you download a file with spyware in it (free screensaver, for instance). Also, it has Browser Hijack Protection to alert if any suspicious browser changes are found (ex. homepage).

Ad-Aware

Ad-Aware is another scanning program used to take out spyware. It will scan your entire computer, looking for spyware. It takes awhile longer but picks up on things Spybot misses. Always be sure to check over what these spyware checkers are about to delete. Again, you don't need all these programs, it depends on the level of protection you prefer.

Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta)

Microsoft has released a beta anti-spyware program available only to Windows users. This is one of the best programs out there, but it won't be free once it leaves beta testing. Microsoft AntiSpyware runs a thorough scan of your system's memory processes, cookies, files, and registry locations (you can tweak it to be more or less general). It has been known to pick up spybots most other programs will miss, and also contains real-time protecting agents. These agents set up checkpoints to block malicious spyware from monitoring or modifiying your internet settings, causing unauthorized changes to your system or security permissions, and prevent spybots from modifiying or deleting your applications. In addition, Microsoft AntiSpyware also contains an easy access menu for customizing Windows settings such as: startup processes, downloaded ActiveX, IE Browser Helper Objects and more. Also, it contains a way to create restore points for various IE settings in the event spyware or something else changes them. Finally, AntiSpyware also contains a tracks earaser privacy tool to delete stored data you may not want kept o your computer.

Now, you don't need all of these, but for optimal Spyware-stopping power it is recommended. And if you think by me running all these I'm paranoid, just remember: he is.
    Last edited by CingularDuality; 04-22-2006, 03:32 PM.

Re: Spyware!

Ad-Aware

Ad-Aware is another scanning program used to take out spyware. It will scan your entire computer, looking for spyware. It takes awhile longer but picks up on things Spybot misses. Always be sure to check over what these spyware checkers are about to delete. Again, you don't need all these programs, it depends on the level of protection you prefer.

If a moderator wants to crop this into the first post it'd be fine. Thanks, Cing.
    Last edited by HairyNevus; 10-18-2004, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Just so it's all in one place...

Microsoft AntiSpyware (Beta)

Microsoft has released a beta anti-spyware program available only to Windows users. This is one of the best programs out there, but it won't be free once it leaves beta testing. Microsoft AntiSpyware runs a thorough scan of your system's memory processes, cookies, files, and registry locations (you can tweak it to be more or less general). It has been known to pick up spybots most other programs will miss, and also contains real-time protecting agents. These agents set up checkpoints to block malicious spyware from monitoring or modifiying your internet settings, causing unauthorized changes to your system or security permissions, and prevent spybots from modifiying or deleting your applications. In addition, Microsoft AntiSpyware also contains an easy access menu for customizing Windows settings such as: startup processes, downloaded ActiveX, IE Browser Helper Objects and more. Also, it contains a way to create restore points for various IE settings in the event spyware or something else changes them. Finally, AntiSpyware also contains a tracks earaser privacy tool to delete stored data you may not want kept o your computer.

Comment

Another must-have for your virtual office toolbox: CWShredder
        "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

i only use ad-aware and zone alarm....ad-aware is better, ive used spybot and then used ad-aware and it found more spy ware then spy bot did...
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

I use Firefox now and spyware seems to have cut down. Not non existant just less.

Comment

I use both Adaware and Spybot S&D... they tend to find different things... I've seen press recently about companies lobbying heavily to be de-blacklisted... evidiently LavaSoft will do that if the program is not maliciousl..software makers object to the tag of "spyware"

I think they should change the name of spyware to just unwanted programs.................

Comment

ive got Ad-ware, Spybot S&D, Microsoft Spyware (beta), and Firefox browser. along with Norton Anti-virus, Norton internet security, and a program that monitors all downloads so they have to be cleared manually.

Comment

I have had to clean some *severely* "infected" machines. I strongly recommend using at least Ad-aware, Spybot, and CWShredder. Yes, all three. I have seen many items that one program will miss but another will catch. Even then, there's some stuff that's unwanted but not tagged by antispyware programs, such as "Consumer Input Software", and some program (forget the name) that was bundled with the Earthlink broadband setup CD. The latter one had a confusing name, but a quick search made it look like a data-miner. Is Earthlink a hypocrite in its anti-spyware campaign?

Check your add-remove programs list for anything that looks out of place. Google the name combined with "spyware".

Comment

I should also add that the Microsoft anti-spyware program (beta) does a decent job of detection and prevention. Be aware that its "default action" may not be appropriate in some cases

Comment

I'd like to add that if you are having spyware problems, that running these in Safe Mode is highly recommended. Spybot, Adaware and the CW shredder are very effecient.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Sabooya
                        does avg really work.... it never picks anything up....
                        Yes it works.

I've had a couple of viruses get introduced to my system (my wife will click anything), and it caught them, quarantined them, and prevented the spread on my system.

I run it everyday 8AM, and update it whenever it prompts me to.

Comment

ATTN: A special note to all Microsoft AntiSpyware users...

One of the problems with this beta version that I have recently become aware of is that AntiSpyware will not always restore your system Layered Service Provider once it has detected a spybot that has altered the system LSP. What's wrong with that? The Firewall that came with SP2 will not work. Here's a test to see if you are a victim:

Originally posted by Test
                          1. Go into your control control panel and click on the "Security Center". Is the Firewall off? (If "no", stop)

2. Click on "Windows Firewall" in your control panel. Was it unable to start? (If "no", stop)

3. Go into Start -> Run and type this: services.msc

4. Near the bottom, there should be an entry for Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). Right click on it and select 'Start'. Did you get Error 10047? (If "no", you have a different problem)

5. Go back into Start -> Run and type this: cmd

6. At the command prompt type this: netsh winsock reset

7. Restart your computer, the Firewall should be back on.
                          I found out the solution at this site

Comment

Just be careful with the Microsoft Anti-Spyware. While it does catch a lot is does use some serious resources. I usually will install it, run a sweep in safe mode, then uninstall it. If you think an on-acess AV scanner usues a lot of resouceses this thing gobbles them!

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceThaine
                              Just be careful with the Microsoft Anti-Spyware. While it does catch a lot is does use some serious resources. I usually will install it, run a sweep in safe mode, then uninstall it. If you think an on-acess AV scanner usues a lot of resouceses this thing gobbles them!
                              I've had exactly the opposite experience. It's much faster and less noticeable than Search and Destroy or AdAware.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X