quick memory question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick memory question

I was told that Vista can only handle 4G of RAM.
    I was also tol that the video card memory was part of this 4 gig.

So, if i have a 512M video card, and 4G of RAM, Vista will only use 3.5G!

Is all that true?

Re: quick memory question

Kind of sort of.
    1st it depends on which version of vista you have, either the 32 or 64 bit version.
    If you have the 64 you are good to go no matter how much ram you have.
    If you have 32 then what you said above is kind of true, but there are other things added in, so it could only end up with like 3.2 gigs of RAM.
    Also, if you have service pack 1 installed, you will still show up as having 4 gigs, but if you don't have SP1, you will show the actual amount, like 3.2 or what ever.

By the way, 32 bit XP is the same as the Vista, so don't think that it is something that Vista started. It is just one of them limitations of a 32 bit OS.
    A lot of us here are using Vista 64 so we could run more RAM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Krako View Post
      I was told that Vista can only handle 4G of RAM.
      I was also tol that the video card memory was part of this 4 gig.

So, if i have a 512M video card, and 4G of RAM, Vista will only use 3.5G!

Is all that true?
      To my knowledge that is a untrue statement. Here is a little breakdown by Vista X64 version of what it will handle:
      • Home Basic: 8GB
      • Home premium: 16GB
      • Business: 128GB
      • Enterprise: 128BM
      • Ultimate: 128GB

As for me I have 1476MB (2X 768) in video memory and 4 GB in memory sticks installed. Vista X64 has no issues handling all that memory that I throw at it. The OS will handle it, but the programs (i.e. games) may have issues handling more than 3 in my experience. But even than, I have always found a workaround that allows me to keep it all installed.

The motherboard will be your limiting factor.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

But BigC, what version of Vista do you have?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Sorry, I have Vista Ultimate X64. X32 does have limits of 4 GB so I should have stated that. But who in their right mind would limit themselves by using Vista X32? ;)
          "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
            But who in their right mind would limit themselves by using Vista X32? ;)
            People that don't know better and buy from Dell or Gateway, etc. :D

Of course, a lot of people don't game, they just want to surf the net and use MS word.

Also, here is a good link I just found this morning
            http://64-bit-computers.com/windows-...benchmark.html

Take the comments in the article at the end with a grain of salt. Article is well over a year old, and a LOT has changed since then.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The driver support on 64 bit Vista is even worse than on 32 bit.
              But then if no one uses 64 bit the vendors will never develop for 64 bit.
              So keep it up and pave the way!

Comment

It is worse, but I have been able to find any driver I have needed, as well as a version of just about any kind of program I needed. And like you said, the more people that go 64, the more likley companies are to develop for it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

64 bit is real important in applications that use HUGE amounts of memory, like video editing. It also makes your programs use more memory because many data structures programs use double in size. John Nack from Adobe has some remarks on his blog

when processing very large files on a suitably equipped machine, Photoshop x64 realizes some big performance gains. (For example, opening a 3.75 gigapixel image on a 4-core machine with 32GB RAM is about 10x faster.)
                  What does 64-bit computing mean, practically speaking? In a nutshell, it lets an application address very large amounts of memory--specifically, more than 4 gigabytes. This is great for pro photographers with large collections of high-res images: Lightroom being able to address more RAM means less time swapping images into and out of memory during image processing-intensive operations.

It's also important to say what 64-bit doesn't mean. It doesn't make applications somehow run twice as fast. As Photoshop architect Scott Byer writes, "64-bit applications don't magically get faster access to memory, or any of the other key things that would help most applications perform better." In our testing, when an app isn't using a large data set (one that would otherwise require memory swapping), the speedup due to running in 64-bit mode is around 8-12%.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigC View Post
                    But who in their right mind would limit themselves by using Vista X32? ;)
                    lol! me :row__632:

Comment

BTW, if I want to upgrade to vista x64, do I need to re-format my hard drive or just run the installation CD?

Comment

I am 99% sure it would require a reformat.

LOL about Adobe, as they just announced this week the next version of CS will be 64 bit, since the current one is only 32 bit.
                        I wonder what kind of performance gains we will see if they do make it a native 64 bit program, instead of a 32 bit running in 64 OS.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Krako View Post
                          BTW, if I want to upgrade to vista x64, do I need to re-format my hard drive or just run the installation CD?
                          However, I'm actually going to probably go with a 32-bit XP system this June, knowing all this information, because I think I can handle a 512MB drop that most games won't even use, so don't think it's such a terrible thing not being able to use all 4 GBs. However, if you do want to switch, the sooner, the better, it is a hassle reformatting, and you don't want to get too comfortable and have everything nice, cosy and set up before you then have to wipe everything away...
                          Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

The speedup in 64-bit apps comes from more registers, not bigger ones. The 64-bit processor has more registers available, but 32-bit programs can't use them, as they know only about the registers on 32-bit-only CPUs.
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                              The driver support on 64 bit Vista is even worse than on 32 bit.
                              But then if no one uses 64 bit the vendors will never develop for 64 bit.
                              So keep it up and pave the way!
                              The same argument is used to explain why Linux doesn't have huge market penetration.

Another application that benefits from the big address space is finite element analysis. This is math that requires a huge amount of data, and can easily chew through 4 GB with relatively simple mechanical structures. My boss just got a system with XP64 and 8 GB for this.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X