• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Antivirus Program?

Name it and say why it's the best.

Re: Best Antivirus Program?

Kaspersky Anti-Virus

So far getting it I havent noticed anything wrong with my system since that would indicate that I have a virus yet it has detected about 20 virus' since and each one ive been able to quarentine and disinfect.. Get it. Doesnt mess up your games or anything like Norton does also.
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I agree, I have Vista Ultimate x64 and I tried a bunch of demo anti virus programs just to see how well they performed on my computer with Vista. So far the best and fastest has to be Kaspersky. Hate the prices of it but when I tried AVG my memory usage while idle was at 33%, so I formatted and did a fresh install just to get rid of all traces of AVG and got the Kaspersky 30 trial and my memory usage at idle is now at 24%. That is a huge difference!!! When I had XP I used NOD32, that anti virus was not to demanding on a system either, was easy to disable for gaming same as what Kaspersky is. When NOD32 gets a version out for Vista x64 i believe I will give it a shot. Just to save myself a few dollars till NOD32 comes out I will keep reinstalling Vista to get another 30 days, lol. I keep all important data backed up on another external hard drive so it is nothing major for me and doesn't take to long.
      AVG I heard was doing away with their free version of anti virus on the next version?? My opinion was it was OK for a free version, I had never tried any of the other free anti virus companies and only installed AVG on Vista cause it supported 64 bit operating systems. What I think is really important for any anti virus is for it to shut down to the minimum or completely if possible for gamers. Also has do be able to scan while browsing the internet, most virus's I had ever came in contact with was cause of my browsing habits. Never cause of something from email but I am sure some may need this as a requirement.
      Norton and McAfee seem to be system hogs, they slowed down my XP based computer so badly that was what made me start searching for a lite version anti virus(which was NOD32), nothing that took a lot of system resources to run. I had never tried Kaspersky on XP but I also read in another article that NOD32 and Kaspersky are the top rated cause they both use the same codes, programming, or whatever.

Comment

I back msdz. NOD32 FTW!

Has caught many bad bugs before they ever make it to the harddrive. Very small memory and processor footprint. Very non-intrusive. A+ in my book. I have been using NOD32 for over 3 years now.

Comment

your brain
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I'm still a fan of Symantec AV Corporate 10

Comment

AVG free. Great program and its less as resource intensive as Norton or anything else out there.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                your brain
                Wise words. Intelligent and cautious use of your computer is far more effective than any anti virus program.
                War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
                - John Stuart Mill

Comment

Agreed.

I've also been using avast! for a good 4 years now with no issues to report.
                  Being a pirate, could I really use anything else? :P

POE2 Developer

Comment

AVG

free, x64 support, small footprint, ability to actually disable all prts unlike mcafee, norton, or the like.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
                      I'm still a fan of Symantec AV Corporate 10
                      That's my vote too. I run the unmanaged corp client on all my machines at home. I have a 5 workstation license but I don't bother with the management server part of it.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I don't know if this really helps at all, but one of my old bosses was kind enough to use one of his AV licenses on my machine. He installed McAfee Sonicwall for Small Business and it is great. It's a combined antivirus/antispyware with a very small resource footprint. It's completely unobtrusive, and seems to be highly effective. Combined with halfway intelligent internet use, I couldn't ask for anything better.

|
                        |

Comment

I'm pretty happy with AVAST!. Have it running on several machines.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Honestly, I know very little about AV but all the AV programs I have tried I have yet to see one that can be COMPLETELY disabled with no background running processes. This includes AVG but they can be shutdown to use less resources. As I also stated above, AVG used about 9% more meory when running than Kaspersky. Yes, I also agree the brain is the best for stopping any virus's but that also limits a person to what they can view on the internet, certain sites automatically install virus's when you go to view them, without an AV program how would you know that? I have not tried AVAST but was told it used a lot of system resources. I guess I may try it and compare to make my own decision on that.
                            Symantec or Norton whatever you prefer to call the corporate versions have less of a footprint than the consumer versions ones I used but did not like the fact I could not disable it enough to run games smoothly on my older computer. Borrowed a copy from my buddy and found that out.
                            By experience I chose AVG for the free version but have not tried all of the free versions of AV available. So AVAST may be a good AV program, I only was told that it used a lot of system resources to run. For paid AV programs I would pick Kaspersky or NOD32(Nod32 if running Vista 32 bit or XP). I am strill waiting for NOD32 to be released for the Vista 64 bit platform.
                            Most of the AV programs I had tried was on an older computer that ran slow, so I was always loooking for something that would speed things up for me. I even have NOD32 installed on my mother-in-laws computer that only has 256Mb of RAM and it runs pretty smoothly compared to wwhen she had AVG or even Pandora installed on it. She couldn't hardly do anything when Pandora was installed on it, took forever for the thing to start up IE. Now it runs a lot faster with NOD32.

Comment

I am running NOD32, which is one of the best, along with Kaspersky. And NOD32 is running fine on my Vista 64, so you might want to check again msdz.
                              And you can get NOD32 as cheap as $20 when it goes on sale at newegg. Right now the retail version is $29.
                              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...OD32&x=19&y=32

New Antivirus Rankings…Kaspersky Still on Top

New Retrospective Antivirus Results are in!

NOD32 3.0 & Smart Security Coming Monday

Best Antivirus Programs Fail VB100!

Best Antivirus (Retrospective Tests)

AVG 8.0 Review & Screenshots

When I 1st started out I used Norton, till I learned about computers and realized how bad it sucked and used up so much computer resources. I then went with AVG, but it lots of tests show the free version isn't that good.
                              And don't even think about McAffe.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X