Vista SP1 Intallation Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista SP1 Intallation Problem

I figured I'd ask this here, as TG is one very deep knowledge base. I thought I'd upgrade to SP1, and downloaded it via windows update. Everything was peachy until it asked me to restart so it could update files currently in use. I did, and after progressing partially into startup, it went to a black screen with only a small amount of text in the top left area of the screen(Updating system files ) . It reached a certain item and halted, obviously because of a problem with the file. The text on the screen as of the time of the error was this:

! ! 0xc0190036 ! ! 1075/7234 (RDPENCDD.dll)

I tried a hard reboot, but it simply attempts to update again, and sits on the same item. System specs are:

-Vista Ultimate 32 bit
    -nVidia 8800 GTS 640
    -4 gigs ram
    -Intel dual core e6850
    -S-series Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 motherboard

Any help with this will be deeply appreciated.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
    - John Stuart Mill

Re: Vista SP1 Intallation Problem

Originally posted by _Romulus_ View Post
    I figured I'd ask this here, as TG is one very deep knowledge base. I thought I'd upgrade to SP1, and downloaded it via windows update. Everything was peachy until it asked me to restart so it could update files currently in use. I did, and after progressing partially into startup, it went to a black screen with only a small amount of text in the top left area of the screen(Updating system files ) . It reached a certain item and halted, obviously because of a problem with the file. The text on the screen as of the time of the error was this:

! ! 0xc0190036 ! ! 1075/7234 (RDPENCDD.dll)

I tried a hard reboot, but it simply attempts to update again, and sits on the same item. System specs are:

-Vista Ultimate 32 bit
    -nVidia 8800 GTS 640
    -4 gigs ram
    -Intel dual core e6850
    -S-series Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 motherboard

Any help with this will be deeply appreciated.
    Have you tried booting from the Vista DVD and doing a system repair? That might work. Unfortunately, I think you may be SOL. Try googling Vista SP1 Install problem.

Additionally, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18, 2009.
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...4&gprid=500921
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
      Have you tried booting from the Vista DVD and doing a system repair? That might work. Unfortunately, I think you may be SOL. Try googling Vista SP1 Install problem.

Everything I've read seems to confirm that my system is FUBAR. Assuming I pop in DBAN and wipe my HD clean, reinstalling like I've just built my system(Not really that big a deal ) , how could I successfully install SP1? Is just a matter of waiting for the issue I'm suffering to be fixed?
      War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
      - John Stuart Mill

Comment

I would 1st go with what was said above. Microsoft is really talking up the fact that they are offering free help to everyone for service pack 1, so take advantage of it.

Also, it may be possible to do a REPAIR of your install. I did that at least 2X on XP, and it fixed whatever was wrong, and left pretty much all my stuff intact, even my games and personal files. Luckly, I didn't have much personal stuff to loose if it didn't work.
        You did do a backup of your important stuff like it says to do before installing SP1 didn't you :D

If you do have some really importat stuff that you absolutly can't loose, you can also do what I have done for friends in the past and plus your Vista harddrive into another computer and find all your important files and copy time over, burning them to a disk, etc., then go back and try and fix your OS, just in case something bad happens, like a complete reformat.

Microsoft is still my suggestion as your 1st option though. Might be something simple.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Also, funny thing when I google your error above, the only thing that comes up is this forum thread. Crazy how fast GOOGLE works sometimes.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

step 1: find a way (external HD, take drive to another computer, etc.) to offload your important files (steam games, docs, pics, etc.)
            step 2: call MS
            step 3: try a last known configuration that worked

It is in your best interest to reinstall at this point b/c you don't know the damage that has been done. I think it was just a corrupt DL of the SP1 files, so a reinstall and then DL'ing the full SP1 pack first thing might be the best option. then if it fails again, you can easily deduce that there is something else going awry.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

_Romulus_

Can you boot into Safe mode? You need safe mode with Comand prompt...

At command prompt

cd c:

"sfc /scannow"

or

chkdsk c:

Let us know the latest.....or you could try reinstall Vista from the DVD over top of the old installation. You should retain all your files because it should only reinstall system files.
              sigpic
              "Volatilis Quod Mactabilis"

Comment

Maybe it is a file that you have downloaded something that caused that particular file to be messed up or you made some adjustments to Vista that messed up the file. My recommendation would be do the format and fresh install of Vista and then activate Vista. As soon as you activate you should be able to get SP1, download and try installing after a fresh install and you should have no issues.
                Bad thing is, I hope you have no important data or at least made a backup of all important data to a backup drive.
                A buddy of mine had similar issues and did just as I said to get SP1 to go on. After he researched it was a file that another program he installed overwritten that caused his problem. Just does not make sense that if Vista is so secure then how and why did a program overwrite an important system file??

Also searching Google it claims that the file RDPENCDD.dll is a display driver. It could be missing or corrupt and you can download just that file and replace it. http://www.dynamiclink.nl/htmfiles/r...info_r/237.htm Maybe you can try that.

Comment

Hey fellas. I decided I wanted to just wipe my HD and start totally fresh. Only takes a couple hours to get my PC squared away and functioning 100%. I'm sill wondering what to do about SP!, and whether I should download it or not, but at least my PC is in even better shape now that it's fresh again.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
                  - John Stuart Mill

Comment

I would do as I said above, activate Vista and as soon as you do download SP1. I am sure it will install OK just the file that was given was corrupt or something.

Comment

By the way is SP1 for Vista 32 bit ?

Comment

They are supposed to be about to roll out SP1 offered though the normal monthly update process any time now, maybe even today since it is patch Tuesday.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

SP1 is for both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista what I read Twiggy.
                          Also, did you watch very much Buck Rodgers, wan't that little robots name Twiggy or twiki or something like that anyway?

Comment

By the way, if anyone here has a dell with the sigmatel onboard sound, it is reported that the drivers are NOT compatable with SP1, meaning that if you install you will have no sound at all. Dell has yet to post any word on fixing the issue.

Comment

I have 2 dell's and both have the sigmatel chipset. one is running sp1 and the other has not been updated yet.

they are laptops, but the e1505 shows only a "High definition Audio". I know it is a "sigmatel C-Major HD audio". the 1720 shows "Sigmatel High Definition audio CODEC."

In case it matters to anyone: SP1 was not offered on either computer. the e1505 I have had a while and is running x64 version to which I manually downloaded the SP1 to install. absolutely no problems in any way. I got sp1 before it was offered through WU.

the 1720 has not had it offered through WU and is still running the factory x86 vista with stock drivers.

I don't know who this matters to, but I will give updates if anything significant happens.
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X