Seeking Feedback on a build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Feedback on a build

Hey all. Working on setting up a new pc. I'll be ordering this system piece by piece as the bank account allows. I'm basically looking to setup a system that going to last me 4-5 years. At some point, I'd be purchasing a 2nd video card to take advantage of the SLI. I'll also be moving to Vista to use DX10. I'm a little sketchy on the whole 64bit thing. Is it really worth it?

Please take a look at this list I setup here: http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...umber=10958667

The case: http://www.provantage.com/antec-nine...d~7ANTG049.htm

I used to be really great at piecing computers together, but it's been 5 years since I've built one, so I'm a bit rusty. Thanks! :row__523:
    Last edited by ImAWuss; 04-07-2008, 01:08 AM.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: Seeking Feedback on a build

Ohher than the fact that I don't see a motherboard in that list, it looks great (which is pretty much the understatement of the year) BUT, in the interest of economics, I would consider making a few changes. It may not be a concern for you but I would probably grab some less expensive RAM (although clicking through on the stuff you have shows a mail in rebate that makes it look pretty appealing) to something a bit less expensive but still fast like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148183 . I would also do a bit more research on Vista (assuming you already haven't) because most people have no real use for the features that Ulitmate gives you over Home Premium. There are some nice networking features and Bitlocker but for the most part, Home Premium is more than enough. As for 32 vs. 64 bit, definitely go with the 64 bit version, especially with the amount of RAM you're planning on running. With the video card and all of the other parts installed, a 32 bit OS won't be able to address all 4 GB. Lastly, I would ditch the FDD. No reason for it anymore unless you insist on doing BIOS flashes and other such things the old fashioned way.

The last suggestion I'd make is to look into replacing that dual core with one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115043 . While most current applications do, in fact, run just as well or better on a dual core, multithreading is popping up more frequently and IMO, you'll be much happier with a quad core in the long run. The CPU is $90 more expensive but if you decide that you can cut costs a bit on the RAM and the OS, that will more than make up for it.

Anyhow, other than a few things I'd do differently, you've pretty much assembled a dream system.
    sigpic

Comment

It seems I linked the wrong list on newegg. The link is now correct, and should be called nhdriver4

I'll definitely consider the 64bit setup. So, what exactly do I need to change on my system to make it 64bit? Just a new processor? Just windows? That's where I"m confused.
      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ImAWuss View Post
        It seems I linked the wrong list on newegg. The link is now correct, and should be called nhdriver4

I'll definitely consider the 64bit setup. So, what exactly do I need to change on my system to make it 64bit? Just a new processor? Just windows? That's where I"m confused.
        You just have to get a 64-bit version of Windows. All the new CPUs these days support 64-bit. There are quite a few here that have moved to 64-bit and are gaming. Since you want this system to last, it's a good idea to move to it especially with the 4GB of RAM. Be prepared for some issues with 64-bit. There may not be any but if you have a problem it may not be as well known or well addressed.

It's a good build listed but don't expect it to last 4 years, let alone 3 years, without upgrading some parts. You could probably get by with the CPU and the RAM should be sufficient for 4 years but the graphics card will not last that long. Even with a second 8800GTS, it's going to struggle after 3 years. The 2 year mark will probably mean games running on lower resolutions, which moving to SLI might help. After 3 years, you're going to die for an upgrade.

Otherwise, it looks like the build should satisfy your gaming needs. Just start saving a little bit after buying it. Something like $250-300 should be easy to save after a couple years. You'll need to upgrade that video card around 1.5-2 years after building it to keep the life of the system going and to prevent unwanted performance drops.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The 64-bit OS is just that, an OS, it should be supported by everything in that list, and anything made in the last couple years or so.

The only thing that turned me away from the Q9300 and is making me o for the Q9450 is the 6MB cache on the Q9300...I'd actually go for a Q6600 if you can't move up to a Q9450, which now should be released within a couple weeks or so.

The Q6600 is a very popular model, with huge overclock potential if you don't mind tweaking a bit. After an overclock to above the 3GHz mark, you should be OK for a long while. You also may want to consider the Q6700.

That GTS is a good choice, but if you're going to decrease your prices on the CPU, then you may want t consider going up to an EVGA 8800GTX...or if the prices right now for 9800GTX's are less than the ones for 8800GTX's, then you should maybe consider that (It seems the BFG and Zotac models of the 9800GTX are the best)

That is an excellent case in terms of cooling, but just be aware about space issues, especially if you want to go with SLI in the future. Also, I always seem to get it wrong with the power supply, but IMHO I'm not sure if that power supply is enough, considering that you want to keep this system for a long time and you're considering SLI as well...but like I said, I tend to get it wrong when it comes to power supplies, so you probably want to get a second opinion.

Edit: After some thought, and looking at Long_Bow's post, I think a 9800GTX would be your best option if you really want to not upgrade/change your system heavily for a while. Why? because of a little something called Tri-SLI which I almost completely forgot about. Now, Tri-SLI might be ridiculous at the moment, it would use huge power, it would cost loads, and you wouldn't see a huge gain in performance. But, if you want this system for a few years or so without making too many upgrades, then this Tri-SLI would probably be an option for you to consider. Also, this "Hybrid Power" thing would also be useful in not taking too much power:

Note: You'd probably need near to a 1kW PSU, and probably a bigger case, which is why I'd say that this option would require a lot of other modifications to your system.

P.S. Anything that I haven't commented about seems to be fine.
          Last edited by SharinganTH1422; 04-07-2008, 10:31 AM.
          Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

No gaming system is going to last 4 years without upgrades and stay current. Sarc summerised that point well so I will leave it at that.

The system looks solid. I wouldn't skimp on ram, OCZ has a good reputation, warranty and RMA policey from experince. Corsair is good as well. Either way get good quality ram (even good quality ram can sometimes be faulty, this is where having a good company backing it will pay off).

The PSU is not enough. The 620 version (I have it) is better and will run an SLi setup. I would suggest looking at the 750 version as well if your serious about the SLi route. Dont skimp on the psu, period. There is a nice stiky here as well to look through for info.

I would suggest getting either an 8800GT for cheap, and upgrade it in a year. Or go with the 9800GTX and upgrade in 2 years (roughly). I would skip the GTS at this point. The 88 GT can be SLi'd for cheap as well in the future. Be warned though that vista and nvidia don't seem to be getting along well at the moment. There is a problem that can affect vista users with nvidia cards, ati as well but to a lesser degree it seems. Take a look at http://forums.nvidia.com/ and look at the forceware forum stickies.

Keep in mind that for gaming currently the limitations are the video card for the most part. Most multi core systems will give you very similar FPS once you start cranking up the resolution and eye candy. I have seen the new phenoms peform worse then the Q6600 and E8500 in most every benchmark including games at lower resoluitons (1280x960 etc.) to end up giving almost the exact same fps at 1680x1050 with some AA and AF turned on in the same system. The point is that the video card is key and will be where you want to spend future money to stay current.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

Comment

Just my personal thoughts extra, as the posts above are really good.

Pick up an extra SATA DVD-ROM drive for $20. Twenty bucks is the difference in the hassle of constantly changing out disks is worth it to me at least. Now I can leave BF2 and ARMA in all the time, and only take out when I need to backup a movie.

You list an OEM CPU, which doesn't come with a CPU cooler. Personally, for the CPU I would spend the extra $10 or so and get a retail box just for the warrenty, and buy an aftermarket CPU cooler. The cooler you keep your CPU, the longer it is going to last you, especially in 2-3 years when you are going to be wanting more power and you find out how easy it is to overclock safely. Everyone starts out saying "I don't plan to overclock at all", till they get down the road and want more power and realize you can safely and easily get an extra 20-30% out of Intel's newest CPUs.

Either way, you need a cooler (if you need help picking one, just ask) and I would get some aftermarket thermal paste. This is top rated stuff right now:
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...202006&Tpk=OCZ
                Even if you go with the stock CPU cooler, I would wipe the factory thermal past off and put some of the OCZ on instead.

Guy above said it spot on about the memory warranty. Don't buy unless they have a lifetime warranty. I have had to RMA memory, and in my case Corsair made it very easy.

If you are planning to build any day now, I would also say go with the 9800GTX, since you can find it as low as $289 after rebates. If you arn't building right now, just planning, this summer there will be a bunch of next gen cards that will last you longer in the long run.

I am happy with Vista 64 and so are the other guys here running it. I think it is good that you go with a 2X2gig Ram kit, so in 2-3 years if you need to put in more, you will have some empty slots.

Lot of people happy with that 900 case. Not sure if you went with that other site because it was cheaper, but check to make sure they have cheap shipping. Lots of times sites will put cases on sale cheap, but then charge $30 or more for shipping.
                For instance buy.com has it for $117 with shipping
                http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-nine-h...202997579.html
                I bought my Antec case from buy.com because it had free shipping special and $10 off with google checkout.
                Check out amazon.com as well, since they usually have good deals on shipping.
                Also know that lots of cases get damaged in shipping, and i know Newegg has good return policy on damaged in shipping, so check out that site above does as well.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  You list an OEM CPU, which doesn't come with a CPU cooler. Personally, for the CPU I would spend the extra $10 or so and get a retail box just for the warrenty, and buy an aftermarket CPU cooler. The cooler you keep your CPU, the longer it is going to last you, especially in 2-3 years when you are going to be wanting more power and you find out how easy it is to overclock safely. Everyone starts out saying "I don't plan to overclock at all", till they get down the road and want more power and realize you can safely and easily get an extra 20-30% out of Intel's newest CPUs.

Either way, you need a cooler (if you need help picking one, just ask) and I would get some aftermarket thermal paste. This is top rated stuff right now:
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...202006&Tpk=OCZ
                  Even if you go with the stock CPU cooler, I would wipe the factory thermal past off and put some of the OCZ on instead.
                  You do need the warranty, although I held off on the cooler suggestion myself due to:

1) The excellent cooling the case provides, and

2) I don't think the size of the case will allow for a really good heatsink, as all the bests ones are fairly large as well.

Also, the thermal paste is a good idea. I was planning on getting the Tunic TX-2 paste, but I think this one has been newly released, so I think I might put this on my list instead, although i think I'll do my research before I get too hasty with the replacement.

However, I'd take Bamboo's opinion over mine anyday. After all, he did teach me a large part of what I know about this stuff ;).

Comment

Actaully, the Antec 900 is a pretty huge case with lots of room inside.
                    Regardless of the cooling of the case, you still have to have a CPU cooler. The OEM comes with just the chip and nothing else at all. The retail box comes with the Intel cooler, which is why it costs about $10 more.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I changed out the OEM processor for the retail. I also added a cooler and paste. The intel fan is good to have I guess for a "backup".

I picked that memory because somewhere I read that the "SLI" capability with the NVidia chipset on the mobo increases performance. Am I mistaken?

Comment

Width 20,6 cm
                        Height 49,3 cm
                        Depth 46,7 cm

If you're planning to go SLI, as well as having a large heatsink, I'd think that would be a little cramped. Obviously I've never seen it myself or built a system myself, so my word doesn't count for much, but I've compared this case with a lot of other cases, and it does seem like one of the smaller ones. Also, all reviews, by both professional Internet reviewers and customers have said that their only single little problem with the case is that it can get cramped. Actually, the only reason I didn't put this case and went for the Shark instead of this is that I was worried about the components having a tight fit inside the case.

P.S. I'd really like you to prove me wrong Bamboo, because this case is a lot cheaper and a lot smaller than the Shark (better fit in that cubby thing), and I'm pretty sure it has much better cooling as well...

Comment

Check out this link, and especially the pics. They have an 8800GTX with huge CPU cooler. A 2nd 8800GTX would fit. They all say it would be a tight case, but it will fit.
                          Personally, I am still pointing out how awesome my p182 case is (and to a point the p180 as well.)
                          I took out my top harddrive cage that wasn't used and could fit a card much longer than even an 8800 Ultra. In the pic below where you see the top drive bay, it just slides right now on rails.
                          Edit: another good link for SLI Can two 8800GTX fit into the Antec 900 using a P5N32-E MOBO?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I agree with the upgrade on the PSU. It's added cost in the long run to have to upgrade your PSU for a video card upgrade. Although, I'm running a 500W PSU now with an 8800GT, E6400 @ 3Ghz and 2 harddrives but I built this to be a single card system when I started with the 7900GT.

I don't suggest using SLI as an upgrade path. If you're going to get a second card new for SLI, they get harder to find when newer cards are released. It's not even 2 years since I got my 7900GT and they're pretty much gone from stores. It's more likely to be found used but depending on your area it might be hard to find. So keep that in mind if you're looking to get a second 8800 in the future. My suggestion is to get a decent mid-range card now and upgrade it to another single mid-range card. You can try to sell the older card to save some cash.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Point taken. From what I've read, SLI has mixed feedback. Perhaps sticking to a single powerfull GPU would be best. Great feedback so far.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X