Question about upgrading video card.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about upgrading video card.

I was thinking of going through EVGA and doing the step up program while I still have time(21 days left). I have the 8800GT SC and was considering on getting the 9800GTX base model. It would be a difference of about $90 plus whatever S&H for me to send and was wondering if I should do it. Some reviews I have read really are not that impressive about the 9800GTX that I had read but looking at the specs for the card itself it is better than what I have right now.

Of course if I did this I would be not doing anything on the computer since they do not have cross over shipping and I would need to send my card first. I would estimate about 2 weeks of being without a computer since I have no other video card or onboard video to fall back on.

I would also need to clear it with the boss(wife) before spending any more money on this computer. I think just building it and then wanting to already upgrade might make her a bit unhappy.

Re: Question about upgrading video card.

I have no solution for the wife clearence, if I did my computer would be much better then it is.

What resolution do you game at? The 9800gtx is apparently a good card and it benches rather well. However going from 60fps to 80fps isn't really going to be noticable. However the 9800gtx will give you more life in the long run.

It will be an improvement for you but It may not be an imediate one. There are supposed to be next gen cards from both ATi (4xxx series) and nvidia this summer. The G92 chip set is at its end apparently so the new cards from nvidia will be a new design. It may be worth it to wait and buy a next gen card in a year from now, after the wife has forgotten all about this build (who am I kidding, they never forget :row__531: ).

Comment

Wife clearance? Just buy a part and get it shipped to work, and hide it in your pants/pocket until she's not looking, then quickly jam it into your case. That should work. If she hears you and asks what the hell that was, just tell her it was the neighborhood cats knocking over the trash cans again.

Sorry if it doesn't work for you, it's the best I have.
      "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
      -- Red Forman

Comment

What 8800 is it, the 256MB or 512MB?

Comment

I'm with long bow.
          It comes down to if you really want to spend the full price of a card in the next year or so.
          The 8800GT will last you good for about that time, but the 9800 would last longer and you will be much happier with all the new games about to hit. There are tons of good games in the works, see here:
          http://www.systemwars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69169

But $90 is a pretty good deal, though the stock 9800 is not much better than the 8800GTS 512mb. The factory overclocked versions were just announced yesterday, and they actually are looking much better. EVGA actually has 3 overclocked versions.
          http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=6715&Itemid=1

I would say if you do upgrade, spend the $20 extra and get one of those when they pop up on the website.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by RedForman View Post
            Wife clearance? Just buy a part and get it shipped to work, and hide it in your pants/pocket until she's not looking, then quickly jam it into your case. That should work. If she hears you and asks what the hell that was, just tell her it was the neighborhood cats knocking over the trash cans again.

Sorry if it doesn't work for you, it's the best I have.
            I believe the wife would take notice if I walk in with something in my pants that is 10" or longer, lol.

Bamboo, right now EVGA doesn't offer the OC'ed versions for the step up program, maybe in another week they may or possibly I'll try giving them a call first to see?!?!

I know it is no major performance gain compared to the 8800GTX but just comparing the 9800GTX base and my 8800GT I believe I would have a little performance gain. I get good frame rates in CoD4 about 91FPS on the map "Overgrown" with it dipping sometimes to 45FPS. I can not remember my resolution at the moment somewhere like 1400xsomething, I had it at 1680x1050 and it dipped into the low 30's a lot. Haven't played anything else to much lately besides CoD4, I sometimes play Oblivion and the articles and comparison charts I had seen claim the 8800GT actually does better than the 8800GTX with that game?!?!

I am not really impressed with the 9800GTX reviews I had read but they are better than whatI have now and it isn't really priced that bad. Yeah, in another 20 days I will have no other choice but to keep this card, I am not planning on having this card just for 90 days and then go out and pay full price for a whole new card, especially when they are not that much of a difference in performance over what the 8800GTX is. If it was the new 9900's and they had really great reviews and I had the cash to spend I would do that, providing I had the extra cash and the boss said it was ok.

Also remember I was complaining about the high temps of this card and considered on getting the EVGA AKIMBO cooler or a Zalman cooler. The cheaper is the AKIMBO and about $50 and the Zalman is over $50. So if I got the 9800GTX I will most likely not need any cooler for it from articles and reviews I read, most people are running at about 52*C idle and about 60*C under load. That is a lot cooler than what I am at 82*C with this 8800GT. So, in a way of thinking, the 9800GTX would cost me about $90 to get but if you consider me keeping the 8800GT and getting another cooler I would only pay about $40-50 dollars. I know, weird way of looking at it.

Twiggy it is the 512Mb card.

Comment

Here is a short review of on overclocked card, and it is only clocked at 720
              http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=6733&Itemid=1

The EVGA cards may be higher.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Just do it msdz. It will be a better card, you can OC it yourself and the doubt will be gone from your mind. However this will lock you in to that card for the next year until your B day or X-mas roles around and you can get yourself a "gift" again. :row__581:

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                  I believe the wife would take notice if I walk in with something in my pants that is 10" or longer, lol.
                  OMG the jokes that come to mind....

I will refrain, but you owe me one.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I think it might be better to save the $90 and use it for an upgrade in 1.5-2 years. Upgrading to a 9800GTX might not give you that big of a extension in video card life. Plus, the shipping out time isn't really worth the wait when you factor in the performance boost.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

$90 in a year and a half or even two is not very much, I mean even if I tried selling my card and then adding the money I made plus $90 would not get a new high end card. I usually only get a chance to upgrade every cople of years(all the wife will usually allow) so I figured $90 to have one of the best cards would not be much of a difference. What I have read it is doing better with most games than the 8800GTX SLIGHTY better though. As far as the 8800GT and 9800GTX reviews there is a big difference in performance and I think it would be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                        $90 in a year and a half or even two is not very much, I mean even if I tried selling my card and then adding the money I made plus $90 would not get a new high end card. I usually only get a chance to upgrade every cople of years(all the wife will usually allow) so I figured $90 to have one of the best cards would not be much of a difference. What I have read it is doing better with most games than the 8800GTX SLIGHTY better though. As far as the 8800GT and 9800GTX reviews there is a big difference in performance and I think it would be worth it.
                        My reasoning is if you're going to upgrade in a couple of years anyway, getting this card doesn't extend the time to the next upgrade that much. You can tack on about 6 months compared to what you'd get with your current card. So in a couple of years, you're going to be $90 up and upgrading according to your upgrade path. Using the $90 now means you'll be $90 down in a couple of years and still upgrading.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Well, after much thought about this I decided not to go with the step up program. Reason is they want $90 for the card and to me the cost is not justified when the card at newegg.com would only be $20 more than what I had paid for the 8800GT. EVGA is trying to stick it to me by another $70 if you think about it. I could sell my 8800GT straight up to a buddy and add another $40 and get the 9800GTX outright. I still doubt I will do that cause I am expecting this card to last a long time and till the next great breakthrough in video cards. Which may be the 9900 series but I am still looking past that, so I will pocket that money for now. I have also downloaded RivaTuner and fool with that. I have upped my fan speeds a little to about 91% while playing games and the temps have dropped drastically from 82*C to about 57*C. That I am a little happier with. Still running at the factory overclock specs and have no real intentions of overclocking that card but I may change my mind.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X