PC not starting up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC not starting up.

I'm on a school computer , so that's how I am posting..but my home PC is having a bit of a problem..A few days ago I restarted my computer..and it wouldn't start back up..It was staying at the beginning screen (btw my pc is an Emachines :X) and it was stuck on the screen with the gray E. I couldn't get it up till about 5 hours later after trying various things.

got it up finally..so I thought all was good. nope. Last night my computer did the same thing , and I couldn't get it back up after trying the same things again..so I turned everything off for the night..(bout 7-8 hours) and when I tried to turn it back on it still didn't work. At this time I think it's broken for good..but if I could get any feedback that'd be great.
    May God have mercy on my enemies because I won't.

Ingame name is [Zion] DanielLion |TG|!!

Re: PC not starting up.

the grey e is still the post screen. It sounds like a failed component: most likely memory, or video. but could also be just a setting in bios.

if you have 2 sticks of ram, try booting with only one. if that doesn't work, try the other. after that, if you have both onboard and agp/pci-e video, then remove the card and see if it boots with onboard video. next, I would unplug the floppy, cdrom, and HDD from the motherboard and try to get into setup. in there, have it rescan for drives and then reboot. if it gets past post this time, then there is a good chance that you have a bad cable or drive. past that, money gets involved a little more.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Dog is right, but before you do that I would just start off fresh with a new CMOS battery.
      http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm
      A dead battery can actually cause weird problems that are hard to diagnose.
      The ones in those cheap computers have a very short life, and you can get a new battery for a couple of bucks. Also changing it out 1st means it eliminates that problem, and you won't have to do the things Dog says above twice (once before you replace the battery, once after).
      Changing the battery is super easy, but while you are at school look up the model number of your computer and find out what you need to do to reset your CMOS. Usually it is something really easy like moving a little plastic piece from one spot to another and leaving it there for like 5 mins. then moving it back to the original spot.
      After the battery replacement and CMOS clearing, follow what Dog says above.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Weren't you buying a new machine? I remember digging up some part stats for you...

Comment

Emachines can be a good computer if taken care of right and upgraded. My old computer was an Emachine and it lasted me over 5 years and is now serving someone else. One little suggestion though, format the hard drive and throw away the restoration disc, all the preloaded junk they include can bog a computer down. I would try to get a copy of the version of Windows you are using so you still use your Windows Activation Key.
          That is after you get it all squared away. I would say look into the memory first, I had issues with the memory not being seated properly when I had a similar problem, hope that is all it is for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
            Weren't you buying a new machine? I remember digging up some part stats for you...
            I am leaning towards just upgrading my PC now magna , that is if I can get a solution to this.

I just got home from school..and am on the other PC.

before I left this morning I put a fan on the side of my tower and let the air blow into my PC..and left with everything off..I came back turned my PC on still getting the same Error.

Bamboo I'm gonna try that , and Dog aswell as your advice..I'm having a bud of mine come over sometime soon to help me get this all squared away hopefully. Thanks for the input ;)

I'll be keeping you guys updated.

Comment

Hurry up..I miss my early AM frag target...:icon26:
              "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Bc2ID View Post
                Hurry up..I miss my early AM frag target...:icon26:
                ;)
                I'm workin on it

Comment

Heh. I see you're a popular breakfast item. :p
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Heh. I see you're a popular breakfast item. :p
                    Ahh , Yes.

btw I'm looking into some of this stuff..Hopefully to have my PC repaired by..monday is what I'm shooting for..but it shouldn't even take that long.

Comment

is it plugged in?

You dont know how many times i have "fixed" computer problems becuase some moron unplugged their machine and forgot to re-plug it in.
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                        is it plugged in?

You dont know how many times i have "fixed" computer problems becuase some moron unplugged their machine and forgot to re-plug it in.
                        I can turn it on ..but It's just getting stuck.

Comment

Have you tried removing the hard drive and booting a live Linux? It's possible your HDD is doing something terrible that's hanging things up.

Also, have the POST tones told you anything?

Comment

Seeing as how I'm at school right now I can't ..and I haven't previously Magna.

When I get home I'm gonna try that out.

Comment

*OK UPDATE!*

I've been trying to fix this thing..looking into getting new hardware for my pc and just getting a whole new one. While doing that I just keep unplugging my pc..restarting it..turning the power off for long hours..while going to sleep last night I left it on the startup E screen. I came over to my PC this morning to find it was ON and running...SO for now I can play but I have to avoid restarting completely , I have no reason to believe that it won't do this again next restart.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X