laptop hard drive upgrade question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop hard drive upgrade question

i have a 60gb 7200rpm ata/100 hard drive in my dell 9300, and i find myself with less than 5gb free most times, i would like to upgrade it to a larger hard drive, but i dont want to lose the RPM's by dropping down to a 5400, but i cant seem to find what im looking for, which is this:

100gb (or larger) 7200rpm 2.5'' ata/100 (im not too big on the whole HD interface list but isnt an IDE the same as an ATA? i am pondering getting a sata/raid card and building a large external setup, but idk how a pc-card would perform in the area of bandwidth...

my question is, can i get a 120gb 2.5 IDE drive, and would it fit in my ata/100 laptop HD bay?
    is ''ultra ata/100'' and ''ide/ata'' and ''ata/6'' and ''ata/133'' and 'dma/ata 100'' all the same?
    Last edited by Tonk; 04-13-2008, 02:49 PM.
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: laptop hard drive upgrade question

Originally posted by Tonk View Post
    i have a 60gb 7200rpm ata/100 hard drive in my dell 9300, and i find myself with less than 5gb free most times, i would like to upgrade it to a larger hard drive, but i dont want to lose the RPM's by dropping down to a 5400, but i cant seem to find what im looking for, which is this:

100gb (or larger) 7200rpm 2.5'' ata/100 (im not too big on the whole HD interface list but isnt an IDE the same as an ATA? i am pondering getting a sata/raid card and building a large external setup, but idk how a pc-card would perform in the area of bandwidth...

my question is, can i get a 120gb 2.5 IDE drive, and would it fit in my ata/100 laptop HD bay?
    is ''ultra ata/100'' and ''ide/ata'' and ''ata/6'' and ''ata/133'' and 'dma/ata 100'' all the same?
    there are laptop drives that go as large as 200gig that run at 7200rpm.

you just have to get an IDE drive (no SATA) any 2.5" laptop harddrive will fit as long as it is not SATA.

But looking around the internet, it would seem that IDE laptop drives have all but disappeared. You can get a PCMCIA eSATA card and then plug in any eSATA enclosure and get full SATA speeds.

with 60gigs though, you have to have some data that could be dumped off to a large, slower, external drive. a 250gig laptop drive in an enclosure can be had for 150 or less. I have used an 80 to 120gig fast internal drive and large 5400rpm external drives for data for years, and until I got my 1720, I was carrying 2 250gig WD passports (2.5" sata2 5400rpm). I have put both 250's in the 1720 and carry the 120 that came with the laptop as a "transfer huge files to another computer" drive.

yes, they are all the same.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Re: laptop hard drive upgrade question

how big a difference would a 7200 vs a 5400 make? cause i can get a 250gb 5400 but i cant find a 7200 bigger than 80gb