Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will her RAID survive the BIOS flash?

Destroying my computer would be bad.

I'm working on my wife's machine. If I cook her box, I'm in serious trouble. :)

I just replaced the 4x512MB in her ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with 4x1GB. The XP32 box w/ a 256MB AGP card sees 2.5 GB RAM. I expect something between 3 and 3.5GB of addressable RAM.

Google tells me that upgrading her BIOS will likely put me over 3.25GB, so I'm going for it.

Current:
    2.51 American Megatrends, REV 1014
    2.01 FastBuild Promise
    FastTrack 378 BIO VER 1.00.0.37

All I'm trying to do is take the REV 1014 to REV 1023. I'm going to use a bootable floppy to run Afudos v2.26 for performing the upgrade. I'll backup the BIOS during the upgrade, just in case.

Here's the question I can't get a solid answer on: will her RAID configuration be there after I flash the BIOS? Most importantly, will it be there if I revert to the backed-up 1014 if something about the BIOS upgrade goes wrong?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: will her RAID survive the BIOS flash?

SOmetimes the raid controller requires a seperate bios update, someteims the raid bios is updated.

Regardless, make sure you write down ALL of the current bios settings before update. Any bios settings relating to the RIAD must be the same to ensure a flawless update.

I would still back up anything critical on those disk to a DVDr before the update. Btw, this as assuming you are not just mirroring.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Re: will her RAID survive the BIOS flash?

Upgrade went just fine.

Striped RAID still as functional as it was before upgrade. Saw something in the BIOS right after the upgrade about a CMOS checksum error, but the box is performing great, so I ignored it.

AGP Aperture before and after upgrade was 256MB.

XP saw 2.5GB (with 4x1GB) before upgrade and 3.00GB after.

After seeing that XP was seeing only 3.00GB of system memory after the upgrade, I changed her AGP aperture to 4MB, which caused XP to see 3.41GB of RAM.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X