19" CRT or 22" LCD??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19" CRT or 22" LCD??

I have been playing on my CRT for the past 5+ years and I have no complaints. The wife is asking what do I want for my birthday. I use a 22" LCD at work and I do enjoy the extra space. My question is what issues did you run into when you swapped out for a LCD? Were they little problems? Did they drag on? Did you or do you still have second thoughts? I am currently running 7600GTs in SLI. My CPU is an Athlon 64 3200, with 2 GB of ram.

Re: 19" CRT or 22" LCD??

For office work, LCD is fine. For image processing and gaming, CRT is a vanishing hero.

Comment

I use a 23" LCD now plus a 20" LCD upright. It's great. Check your budget and get the biggest LCD you can afford. You can always scale down to a lower res.

Comment

Originally posted by Reader1234 View Post
        I have been playing on my CRT for the past 5+ years and I have no complaints. The wife is asking what do I want for my birthday. I use a 22" LCD at work and I do enjoy the extra space. My question is what issues did you run into when you swapped out for a LCD? Were they little problems? Did they drag on? Did you or do you still have second thoughts? I am currently running 7600GTs in SLI. My CPU is an Athlon 64 3200, with 2 GB of ram.
        I am keeping my 21" CRT for as long as i can. I have the dell 24" at work and it is very nice for work.

1 is games, especially the older ones that can't run at the LCDs native resolution. They look ok but not great.

2 is black levels. LCDs cannot come close to CRTs black levels. I watch movies on mine at times and the gray blacks you get on a LCD annoy me.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I have a 24" Dell and I love it. Go with the biggest you can get.

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
          Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
          Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
          DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
          Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
          Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
          CPU: E8400
          Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
          Hard Drive: 500G
          Case: Antec P182
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic

Comment

I still have a IBM P72 19 inch CRT for gaming and I love it, going to keep it as long as I possibly can.
            The only complaints I have about LCD's have already been mentioned. (grey-black)

POE2 Developer

Comment

I have a 20.something inch Samsung SyncMaster 204B that runs 1600x1200. Moving from a CRT to an LCD was a most enjoyable step for me.

I had zero problems, excluding the fact that I had to up my video card in order to support the bonus resolution. I do not know how well dual 7600 will do. While my LCD is nothing short of awesome on 1600x1200, like most LCDs, it looks like crap on all other resolutions.

You'll enjoy the extra desktop space and the modern look of an LCD. My LCD came with a tilt, swivel and rotating base - I find all of those to be great. Also, my wife liked the LCD so much she had to get one too.

I say do it!

Comment

Occasionally I do get tempted by a sexy lcd at the bar, but I never take it home with me. I stick with something I can live with day to day, looks aren't everything.

Comment

For me this is a no brainer especially given how cheap LCDs have gotten. You only need to look at a CRT and LCD side by side to appreciate how much better the LCD looks. In fact, I ran a dual desktop for a while with one of each until I broke down and bought a 2nd 19" LCD. ;) My primary is now a Dell 24".

My recommendation to you follows what others have mentioned. Get the biggest LCD you can afford. You won't regret it. :icon14:

The extra bonus also comes in if you got to LAN parties at all. The lighter weight is very nice not to mention how much less desk space it uses. If your video card supports the digital output then you will want to use that for sure. It does make a difference over using the old analog connector. You shouldn't have any issues beyond that.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

I currently have a 17" CRT next to a 20.1" LCD in a duel monitor setup. i bought the LCD last Sept and havent looked back. The extra space that the widescreen gives is very noticeable and besides the overall brightness of the screen, which i really dont think is a bad thing, i have no complaints.

The difference in gaming is also huge. I used to wonder how people could see such detail given that my CRT was kinda dark, but now with my LCD i can see details i could only have dreamed of before.

And of course the smaller overall space needed for an LCD on your desk is an added bonus

Comment

I would cry my eyes out if I had to go back to my 17" CRT after using my new 22" Widescreen LCD.

Comment

I was nervous about image quality and any ghosting when I made the jump from my CRT to LCD. But the only issue I have with my LCD (Acer 22") is that games need to run at the full resolution of 1680x1050 to look good which may result in lower frame rates unless your video card can keep up.

I'd say there's no contest though, LCD is the only choice.

Comment

I've been considering a 24" LCD. The Samsung looks good. Is there another I should consider? What specs should I be looking for?

I don't want less than 24" because I want the high vertical resolution (1200 pixels) as I do a lot of text work (ie. programming, IT admin, documentation).
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Remember that your native resolution will change and if you were playing at a lesser resolution for performances sake on your CRT, you may have to go up on resolution just to stay native for your LCD wide screen.

This may stress your video card if you were just squeaking by on performance with your previous monitor resolution.
                            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
                            That noob who crashed the chopper.
                            That noob who ran over the mine.
                            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
                            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

I was gaming on a 17 inch crt for a long time. No complaints.

I've been gaming for 4+ months on my 19" LCD. Same Resolutions.

The only thing that bugged me about my CRT was glare because of lights. Although easily corrected... I just feel like LCD has me sold. It's lightweight and bright.
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X