1066 vs 800

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1066 vs 800

I can get Corsair 1066 for $59 after rebate or 800 for $29 after rebate. It's gong to be an AMD system. Is there a reason I should pay double?

Re: 1066 vs 800

Unless you know those modules use premium chips, probably not. Granted, it's just $30, so you're buying more headroom, but that assumes your RAM is going to be the bottleneck. I know for Source games, RAM will only swing a few frames, while CPU speed is almost a direct performance gain. I'd likely go with twice as much 800.

Comment

No.

Unless you are going to do some extreme overclocking. I am running 1066 and since buying have learned a lot more about memory. I would probably just buy really good 800 speed if I did it again.
      It is a little bit different if you are going AMD (?) than Intel, but not enough to matter.
      Just make sure your 800 has a good low latency.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm assuming your talking DDR2 at those prices for 2x1 GB sticks. In my opinion the 800 sticks will be fine unless you're going to OC the crap out of it and actually have to use that high of a frequency.

Edit: Manga, Bambo, and I have no lives
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Thanx, there was a time I would pay for bleeding edge, but now I'll just settle for 2nd generation. Although the temptation is still strong.

No OCing, a PC for the living room.

Comment

I had 2gb 1066 (corsair dominator) for a while when I built my new system. The speed was natively was "supported" by my MB. I am now running 4gb of 800 (crucial ballistix). To be honest, I can't tell a difference in speed. The extra ~1.4gb the 4gb gives me helps large items load faster. As far as smaller things are concerned, the 800 does not seem slower at all.

Comment

I have the same stuff above, Corsair Dominator 1066 X4 gigs.
              At the time of buying I didn't know as much about memory, and just bought the fastest (most expensive) stuff. I know better now :(

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                Thanx, there was a time I would pay for bleeding edge, but now I'll just settle for 2nd generation. Although the temptation is still strong.

No OCing, a PC for the living room.
                I was the same way. If I were you, just get the 800 and either 4gb worth or 8gb worth (if you have 64 bit).

Comment

Yeah, the lower the latency for the 800Mhz RAM the better you will be. I know little about RAM probably compared to some of these guys and I did a lot of researching and reading articles before making my decision to by this here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227267 The articles I had read about this particular brand and it quality of dependability had a lot to do with my decision. Price also had a huge factor in there of course. I am sure if you want to spend more money you could get better, by now you can probably get better for less.

Just wondering, how many Gigs are you talking about? I seen 1Gb for 23.99 normal pricing at newegg.com.

Comment

I'm probably getting a 780G MB. I'll be using onboard video. And want to allocate 512mb ram to video. So 2GB is the minimum for XP.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X