New computer help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer help.

Hey everyone. Well, since I got my new computer and built and all, it's running nicely, and a friend of mine wants me to help him build a computer. So, as I am searching for the best parts to get but for a cheap price. So I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to pitch in ideas or something that could help me find decent to good parts that are cheap. he's willing to spend around 500 at max (that's how much mine cost and mine is decent, and runs nice). You guys got great ideas and finds and i was hoping you guys could share them with me, thank you everyone!

P.S. I already asked this, he is going to be using this for gaming (not extreme hardcore gaming, and not alot of games, just some games) for his art, videos, and school work. so basically an overall decent to good cheap computer. I'll worry about the monitor later.

EDIT: A decent/cheap barebone kit would do wonders to start, his PC isn't that great to start with, so even a barebone kit would be good.
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Re: New computer help.

I present a Solution

May look at those parts and go from there

here are some performance results from that system
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Toms Hardware
      500 Dollar PC
      http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...game,1810.html

March System Building -- Low / Med / High Cost Builds.
      http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...thon,1794.html

---- reaper beat me to it.
      |TG|Switch

Better known as:
      That noob who crashed the chopper.
      That noob who ran over the mine.
      That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
      That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

FYI
        Intel cut it's prices today on a bunch of CPUs.
        http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_..._pricelist.pdf
        (warning, PDF link)
        Lots of people like the e4500 CPUs, check out the reviews:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115031

I will say I am confused by Tom's choice for gfx card. Every other site says the 8800GS is complete crap, and the 9600GT would be a much better choice for the same price after rebates )maybe even cheaper:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ription=9600GT

And what was Tom thinking with that memory. Could get better than that for cheaper after rebates. Both of these would be really good, and are under $30 after rebates:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145034
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146565

A good thing to look for also would be free shipping, which those things above have. Can end up saving you a lot of money in the end.

I would say that with a CPU like the one above, if he isnt' going do do any overclocking, I wouldn't spend the money on an aftermarket cooler. The intel one for that CPU is fine.

Case comes down to personal prefference, but that Antec listed is decent enough, though might want to look for one with just a little better power supply, something a bit over 400, just in case he decides to really get into gaming in the future and wants to get a better GFX card. Why spend the money now on something that low when you could spend an extra $20 now and not have to buy a whole new PSU for $70+ down the road if he decides he wants to play some of the new games coming out in a year. (there are some really good ones!)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Ok, thanks fro those links I'm liking what im seeing, but as I searched through Tiger Direct, I saw this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9768&CatId=332

It looks decent, but what does that motherboard do exactly?? like, what can it use... it says GeForce 6100, Socket AM2... i don't know what those things mean, can someone elaborate that for me please?
          "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

The geforce 6100 is refering the chipset on board, the AM2 socket designation is for the CPU. That board will accept a PCI-e video card.

That isn't a bad system especially for the price. However it will require a video card and a cpu cooler so expect to tack on another $150

Listen to Bambo, the 8800gs should go and the 9600gt should stay. The e4500 would be a solid choice as well.

I would suggest perhaps an AMD X2 5000 black box edition if you can find one. They are about $100 and have an unlocked multiplier which you should be able to incease 2 or 3 points to up your speed for free without issue. It does need a cooler though. I would suggest looking at ram from Corsair or OCZ. Both have killer rebate right now where you can get good quality ram 2x1gb for <$40.

Mother board I would stick to the big names like Asus, Gigabyte perhaps MSI. Be sure that it has enough sata and usb hook ups for what your running (each optical drive and hardrive will need a sata plug, most mobos come with 4 or more).

Video card I would suggest either the 9600gt, but be sure to check on the forums for the cards manufacturer to see if there are any issues with it as some 9600gt's had bad bios I think. However if you keep your eyes open you could find a good deal on a ATi 3870 or an 8800GT if your lucky. Remember the video card is what is limiting in most of todays games so its better to skimp on other areas of this build then the video card.

PSU 400 W minimum but a 500w would buy you some more headroom. Quality is important in a psu but since your trying to keep costs down you could gamble a bit here.

Comment

OK, thanks Long Bow, and everyone else. I found a nice video card for him, an 8600GT 'XXX' Edition (i read it means it's overclocked?) for 70 dollars. and a CPU cooler for 30 dollars. so with that all it comes to approximately 450 dollars or so. He is coming over tomorrow to check out what i have found for him. thanks for the help you guys, my friend and I appreciate it.

Comment

Ok don't buy a video card based on its name or if its overclocked. I could overclock a pile of dog poo but it's still dog poo :row__572:

Go online, find bench marks of the 8600gt vs. 9600gt or vs. the 3850 or vs. dog poo and see how it looks. You may save some coin buying the 8600gt but its such a dog of a card from what I read that it's $70 down the drain. Seriously find some cash somewhere and spend a bit more on one of the above two cards.

Comment

Haha long bow

I agree with long bow though. It is pretty amazing how big a jump Nvidia was able to pull off from the 8600gt to 9600gt. Even a stock 9600 would run around a XXX whatever that means 8600.
                  And you said under $500, which would still be possible with the 9600.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

This is also an idea but I ma not sure about these Intel processors cause I have not read much about them yet. By the reviews they are getting at newegg.com they appear to be good and cheaper than the E4500, maybe try looking at the E21xx series. Such as the E2160, the E2180, or even the E2200. If he is not serious about gaming then go with the stock cooler in a retail kit. Saves a little bit of dough for something better and stock cooler does good even on small overclocks with certain processors from articles I have read.
                    I would also go with the 9600GT to keep cost down, I do not care for ATI but for the price that may be good enough. ATI always had severe issues IMO with their drivers, I doubt seriously if they resolved that since I last owned one only about 3 months ago. So, for me I would say get Nvidia and it may be less of a headache on you and him both.
                    RAM, definitely get 2Gb. More if possible it is really going cheap now. Also, what operating system are you installing on it? BTW I also like OCZ they are usually a little cheaper in prices than other better known memory companies.
                    I would get Vista x64 and 4Gb of RAM but can understand wanting to stay cheap or even get Linux cause it is free.
                    I know a lot of people have beef with this PSU company but I like Ultra and they have served me very well, they are usually cheaper than any other PSU also. Go by reviews of the actual product and not here-say from people who do not even own one. They are certainly a lot better than the never heard of cheapo PSU's that are usually listed or even given away in a case that most people throw their money away on.
                    make sure the case will have plenty of cooling fans or at least places to add them later if needed and room for video card.
                    Any motherboard that has a good reputation. Go with reviews and remember your friend is not a hardcore gamer so a lot of features are not needed. A cheap MB will work for his purpose as long as it comes from a well known reputable company.
                    Hope my little bit of input may help you. Especially about the E21xx or the E22xx processors.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulja View Post
                      Hey everyone. Well, since I got my new computer and built and all, it's running nicely, and a friend of mine wants me to help him build a computer. So, as I am searching for the best parts to get but for a cheap price. So I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to pitch in ideas or something that could help me find decent to good parts that are cheap. he's willing to spend around 500 at max (that's how much mine cost and mine is decent, and runs nice). You guys got great ideas and finds and i was hoping you guys could share them with me, thank you everyone!

P.S. I already asked this, he is going to be using this for gaming (not extreme hardcore gaming, and not alot of games, just some games) for his art, videos, and school work. so basically an overall decent to good cheap computer. I'll worry about the monitor later.

EDIT: A decent/cheap barebone kit would do wonders to start, his PC isn't that great to start with, so even a barebone kit would be good.
                      A good source for shopping is the magazine called "Computer Shopper" and it often lists part manufactures, the prices of their parts, and the performance ratings of their parts.

I only threw this in, because it is a good reference source for places to buy parts. (It is kind-of-like Kelley's blue book, if Computer Shopper's website has the listings up.)

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X