My soon to be rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My soon to be rig

Hi all, been working on this a while while traveling (las vegas, sweetness) and so far this is what I am looking at for the new build. I am clearly staying behind the Quads and DDR3 enticements as well as the 9 series cards. I can OC this system I believe well above what I need it for....BUT please give me all your input/suggestions/knocks...and if you have preference, I welcome hearing about it....Thank you in advance!

$202.80
    INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz 1333 MHz 775 6MB Desktop Processor Retail ***Free Shipping***

$288.00
    GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 Intel Core 2 Quad Socket 775 1333 MHz PC2-9600 (DDR2-1200) ATX Motherboard Retail

$99.90
    CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX TX 650W Power Supply Retail ***Free Shipping***

$69.99
    SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB Buffer Hard Drive Bulk

$75.99
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer

$164.90
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR with DHX Technology TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) DDR2 Memory Retail ***Free Shipping***

$209.99
    EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR Geforce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card Retail

$37.00
    ASUS DRW-2014L1T 20X SATA DVD Burner Black Drive Retail

Maybe substitute this mobo...

$289.99
    ASUS Rampage Formula Intel X48 Intel Core 2 Quad Socket 775 1600 MHz ATX Motherboard Retail

Tally with all Mail in Rebates is $1,145.70 w/o case...so add in about $100...and I am close to budget...

While the NZXT case looks like a great cooling case, the review on Driverheaven makes me think the noise will be too much. I work in a home office. See the review here:

NZXT Tempest Case - Introduction - DriverHeaven.net

Any opinions on Thermaltake anyone?
    sigpic Sometimes I rip, other times I RIP.

Re: My soon to be rig

I would suggest getting a BFG graphics card. The price is the same for a 8800GT and BFG has great customer service and a lifetime warrenty on all of their cards. Other than that, for a low cost rig your looking pretty good

Comment

Thanks Tarthkin. I could go much higher but don't see the need. Until DDR3 and Quads start to move down in price that is. This set up should run most everything I need it to.

As for the card...I had an EVGA picked out first and will probably go with that one.

Appreciate your taking a look.

Comment

I have had multiple EVGA cards and have always had excellent stability/life out of them, so I would stick with it.
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

Comment

Looks good man.
          Still going to recommend the Antec p182 case (I know you guys have heard me talk about this case enough) :)
          But no lie, when I just came home from work, I went over and pushed the power button and started to walk away to get something to eat, and I actually stopped about 2 steps away because I thought the thing didn't start up. I had to go back and put my ear down to the case to hear the fans, and then the ASUS startup screen flashed. It was so quiet I thought something was wrong. And that PSU you picked should have long enough cables for you to route behind the motherboard for a super clean install. I have the 620 watt version and it worked fine.

Might want to spend the extra $20 and get an extra DVD-ROM drive as well. So nice not having to change out disks very often.
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135143
          Also, I think I have the same DVD burner you listed and am very happy with mine so far.

And I really got to ask, are you sure you need a very high end motherboard like that? Are you going to be hardcore overclocking and running crossfire? A $200 board like the p35 or very soon to be released p45, or even an x38 would be just as good, and the difference would pretty much pay for your case.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Good stuff, thanks Bamboo. Yeah, the case has been haunting me a bit. I had a Thermaltake picked out and a CM 690. I will check out the p182 again. As for the Mobo...I want to make sure that I am good for about 4 years. My current system went 5, and that really surprised me. All I did was up the PSU and the GPU.

I will take your advice on the optical. Let me ask you though...would you go quad now? x38 or x48, and then of course Q6600 or E8400...can find a E8500.

Lastly, I do want to Oc a bit and see what it is all about, but I will probably not do much with that.

Thanks again for your time Bamboo....StevieRay

Comment

Originally posted by StevieRay View Post
              Good stuff, thanks Bamboo. Yeah, the case has been haunting me a bit. I had a Thermaltake picked out and a CM 690. I will check out the p182 again. As for the Mobo...I want to make sure that I am good for about 4 years. My current system went 5, and that really surprised me. All I did was up the PSU and the GPU.

I will take your advice on the optical. Let me ask you though...would you go quad now? x38 or x48, and then of course Q6600 or E8400...can find a E8500.

Lastly, I do want to Oc a bit and see what it is all about, but I will probably not do much with that.

Thanks again for your time Bamboo....StevieRay

Actually, a lot of tech sites are saying x48 really isn't much different than just a facelifted x38 with a higher cost. I have not really even looked into either, as I don't plan on going crossfire, which is the main reason to get those boards (meaning running 2 ATI cards)

The p45 is the latest and greatest replacement for the p35, which all the sites are pretty happy with. Last I read it is not out yet though, but should be here very soon. If you really are shooting for the 4-5 year cycle, that might be your best bet.
              Here is why:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P45
              Mainly notice the PCI-E 2.0, because when you go to do a gfx. card upgrade in a couple of years, you are going to want that feature. That link also has a link saying it is delayed till June, but a few days ago I heard they had fixed the problem bug they were having and the launch had been moved up. I bet the major computer show the 1st week of June is going to be crawling with these boards.
              That link also lists it as DDR3, but I am betting there will be plenty of DDR2 ones as well, and if you are really looking for the long haul, they might even have some like they do for the p35 that let you run either DDR3 or DDR2, just not at the same time.
              Check out these links:
              http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/03..._g45_and_x48/1
              good one here:
              http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...e_ga-p45-ds5/1
              and drool over this one all the way from back in Jan.
              http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8858/e...run/index.html

As for CPU, with you wanting a computer to hold out for a long while, it is a really tough decision.
              I almost think that with the better and more efficent parts they are making, instead of having to upgrade your PSU this next time around, you won' t need to and could upgrade the CPU instead.
              Right now I am happy with the q6600 I have, especially when I play something like Crysis or render the ARMA game movies I make because all 4 cores are being used and only at about 60%, letting me use my computer to do anything else I want at the same time. That being said, for most (but not all) other games, the e8400 will beat me in game benchmarks. That is why I bought a good case and CPU cooler though, so I could easily overclock my quad to 3.0, so I could equal an e8400 in single core apps, and run even better in multi core apps.
              I like you also built my rig to last I hope 3-4 years (my last one went over 5). But I still find my self every so often 2nd guessing myself and wondering what an 8400 would do in my computer, cause I could overclock it close to 4.0, up from the stock 3.0.
              But, I built a rig that I hope is ready for future games, not really current (don't like many current ones actually, bit burned out on them). I am looking forward to ARMA 2, Alan Wake, FarCry2, Battlefield 3 (maybe), all of which have said they will be multi-threaded (though just guessing about BF3, which may end up being crap anyway.)

Well, my fingers are tired, so crashing for the night. And feel free to ask questions, only way to learn man.............

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I think I start every thread this way now in the tech forum. Bamboo makes some great points :row__593:

I would say unless your going to be a die hard overclocker then save some money on the mobo. The X48 isn't supposed to be great for the money, the P35 apparently overclocks better then X38. I would suggest getting a nice mobo in the $150 range that will support 1066 ram or higher, supports the new 45mm quads (note some mobos support only the new 45mm duals so be sure to check the manufacturers website) and PCI-e 2.0 (though I don't know if they make a p35 pci-e 2.0?). If the new P45 is a good as they say it may be worth the wait? Its tough as the new stuff will be so pricey at first.

I would go with eVga as well because if the new cards come out soon you could use the 90 day step up program to get a nice new card :row__523:

You seem like your on the right track.

Comment

I looked some on newegg, and I didn't find any p35 pci-e 2.0 boards.
                  I think that is one of the major selling points of the p45 boards.

The new stuff will be a bit pricey, but no where near what you were planning to spend in your 1st post.

About the memory. A lot of ASUS motherboards support 1066 memory, but mine still required some BIOS tweaking even though the box said I wouldn't have to.
                  In all honesty, I would probably just get some really low latency DDR2 800 if I were to do it over again. I have the same memory as you put in your wish list above, but I have 4 gigs of 1 gig sticks. Back in OCT. they didn't have the 4 gig kits.
                  Something with either:
                  Cas Latency : 4
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2508081&name=4

Cas Latency : 5
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2516065&name=5

And by getting one of those 2x2gig kits, it will leave you 2 open RAM slots, so a couple years down the road when you are going to be wanting 6-8 gigs of RAM, you will have the room to expand.
                  I will say though that I am very happy with my RAM, though I did have to RMA a kit, but Corsair went though a bad patch for a few weeks, and lots of other people got them too. They look to have fixed the problem now. I say go for the 1066 only if you plan to do some overclocking for sure.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Today some news came out about new p45 ASUS boards.
                    Linky:
                    Two Asus P45 motherboards pixelized

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have a p180 and a p182 and I really like them both. I perfer the P182.
                      The Old Guy
                      kin3
                      sigpic

Comment

So, here is my latest swing at the ball...Did a lot of reading. The x38 appears to have more of what I want in a mobo, and I will wait a bit but not sure how long until the p45 comes out. I might be able to save a little dropping the raptor, getting a less expensive case, and even going down further on the mobo. I would really like the p45/E8500 set up but how long and much? Thoughts? And how about what I have now?

Mobo Asus Maximus Formula x38 $279
                        http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...300&CatId=3488

RAM Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) $89
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148069

CPU E8400 3.0 $199.99
                        http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...=CP1-DUO-E8400

GPU EVGA 8800 GTS 512 mb KO Edition 678 MHz Core, 1944 Mem, 1728 shader $244
                        http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...403&CatId=3585

Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 $179
                        http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...568&CatId=1510

HD 1 WD Raptor 150 GB $169
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136012

HD 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB $99.99
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148288

Optical Asus 20x w/lightscribe $34.99
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135156

PSU Corsair 620HX $169
                        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139002

$14639.97 before Rebates

After MIR not sure yet.
                        Last edited by StevieRay; 05-08-2008, 10:13 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Originally posted by StevieRay View Post
                          $14639.97 before Rebates

After MIR not sure yet.
                          Are you buying a car? Just joking, but your total price is a bit off. I'm guessing you meant 1463.97

Comment

As for the CPU, the e8400 vs e8500, check this out
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115036

Newegg finally has them in stock, and for $80 more than the e8400. Just not worth it for only 1.6 clock speed. If you have money to blow, by all means, but with the economy the way it is, that is $80 in gas money. And sense you are geting a good MB, you could run the e8400 way over that and still be safe.

And what OS are you going with. It dosn't say, and you only have 2 gigs listed for memory. A rig like this deserves more. Especially with the kits only running at $50. That is an AMAZING deal!!!!

Make sure you add in some aftermarket thermal paste. I forgot mine when I ordered and had to wait 3 VERY LONG days to build mine because of it. And if you plan on going with an aftermark cooler, best to do it now in case you get one that you would have to remove the motherboard to install.

Like the change on the Power supply. That is the one I have and am very happy with. The one you had before does not have mod. plugs/cables, which allow for a much neater and better airflow case.

And an option on the raptor is drop it down to the 74 gig size, since it is pretty much only for the OS and games, and that extra money would pay for your extra RAM.

I have a p180 and a p182 and I really like them both. I perfer the P182.
                            And you guys roll your eyes everytime I say it, but so does Kin :D
                            When it is that good, you try and let people know :D

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Looks good. I was battling with the mobo decision and decided on an X38 after everyone told me to get a P35. The future scares me :row__581: I would make sure to check on clearence with that mobo and cpu coolers. Some boards now have such robust NB coolers etc. that there can be issues. The thermalright 90 may be a good choice as it offers exceptional cooling but isn't as large as the 120 version.

I would fully agree with Bamboo, go with the 2x2gb for ram. The 2gb sticks may not OC as high but the crucial ballistics apparently will hit 1066 speeds with 5-5-5-12 timings @ 2.0-2.2 volts, which should be good.

Keep your eyes out for BFG's 8800GTS as I have seen them on sale in limited quantities for $199.

One last thing; I see you have two different stores listed. Make sure the shipping costs don't kill your savings.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X