Windows XP Service Pack 3 kind of released today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Service Pack 3 kind of released today

So, Microsoft has been saying for a while that XP SP3 would be released today, the 29th, but it looks like at the last min. it was pulled due to some kind of bisnuess software not working right with it. It is a really confusing mess rightnow, so might just want to wait. I downloaded it, but am waiting to make sure they don't change something before I install it.

Bottom line is this:
    "In a post on the TechNet Forums earlier today, Microsoft Serviceability Release Manager Chris Keroack said a compatibility issue between the Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 has come to light. "In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web," Keroack explains. "We plan to put filtering in place shortly to prevent Windows Update from offering both service packs to systems running Microsoft Dynamics RMS.""

Links for more info, and to confuse you as well:

Windows XP SP3 now available... just kidding

Secret Pre-Release Details On Windows XP Service Pack 3
    (this is actually a really good article everyone running XP should check out)

XP SP3 vs. Vista SP1 - Which is fastest?

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Now Available

XP SP3 not generally available yet, after all

Update to above article
    UPDATED - XP SP3 available for download from Microsoft

Microsoft releases the long-anticipated Windows XP SP3 (updated)

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 kind of released today

http://tech.slashdot.org/tech/08/04/29/2018252.shtml
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hmm, MS application software breaks when an MS OS patch is released. Makes you wonder what non-MS software is going to break. And note that the MS application is not one that needs deep hooks into the OS. It's a retail business app.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Looks like xp Service Pack 3 is finally officially out. Everyone get to downloading :D

Link:
        Updates for Vista, XP Cleared by Microsoft After Delays

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

It is weird that my computer just now told me that windows service pack 3 was available. But I've found a lot of places say that don't bother installing it. Any advice? I know this is sort of a zombie thread, but I was trying to decide if I needed service pack 3. ANNND...

It is already in that "ready to install" que. If I shouldn't install it, trying to figure out how to keep it from saying "install me dumb<word>" all the time.
          "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
          Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I don't remember the specifics, but if you use AMD, do not install SP3...
            Skud

Comment

There was apparently some sort of coding bug in the initial release of SP3, but that has been fixed now. And it did affect some AMD based machines (don't remember the specific ones).

The majority of SP3 was performance tweaks for Windows XP and IE7. I for one have it installed on the AMD Athlon64 3500+ machine behind me. No problems whatsoever.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

64 X2 4200+ here...

I don't use IE7, so it can stay off my HDD :)
                Skud

Comment

There are also some minor "security fixes", but I never looked into it. I just went and got it and installed it.

Skylark, if you experience problems after installing it, just remove it (via Programs and Hardware in Control Panel).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Most sites said they saw a bit of improvements in windows speed after installing it. And the problems are fixed now. There was more than just IE tweaks.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I install service packs b/c they are all the hotfixes rolled up into one install. everything else is icing.
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

It's an all-inclusive patch, and I patched my AMD machine at home with the initial release of SP3 and didn't have any issues. M3A78-EMH-HDMI board and 5600+ X2
                        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

My boss has a high sensitivity to very small changes in speed, and noticed significant improvement on systems where he installed SP3.

(We make automation stuff with very high precision. Small changes in speed lead to huge changes in throughput over lots of parts, and he has a knack for knowing where to squeeze more performance out of a system.)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X