Which 24 inch LCD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 24 inch LCD?

I'm about to pull the trigger on this and trying to narrow down my choices. I started looking at Samsung, which has received the best reviews in the past, and found that they had 3 models to choose from:

245T
    245BW
    2493HM

Alas, I don't really understand what the difference is in these models.

I also see that LG now has a 5 msec 24 inch model, and I'm wondering if I should consider it instead.

Principal uses will be gaming (WoW, ETQW, BF2) and programming.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Which 24 inch LCD?

Here is a good review I just read day before yesterday or so, and it is part to so your should be able to refer to part 1 as well

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth.../24inch-2.html

It is pretty tech heavy, but they do look at one of the Samsung you mention above.
    Just make sure your gfx card is good to go in the horsepower dept.

And like I have posted before, everyone still raves about the Dell one that is like $600.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have the 2493HM. It's a great monitor so far. The brightness is brilliant and the viewing angles are great. I haven't really noticed any problems with ghosting but few LCD's these days have that problem.

It has some great features like HDMI and pivoting. Apparently there's software that will automatically rotate your desktop when you rotate the display but I haven't installed it.

The only issue is the buttons. They are touch sensitive so it's odd turning on the display and making adjustments. The labels are very dark so you don't know where to press unless you look closely. Also, don't bother with the built-in speakers. They sound like crap but you can hook up something else to the headphone jack for better sound.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks, also found this review of the other models:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...ay/24inch.html

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

From reading the earlier review, the 245T looks to be the best of the Samsung list, with a PVA screen (wide viewing angle, fast, response time compensation) and lots of video inputs (so I can use it for the media center).

Comment

This is what I have and I really like the Dell 24".

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
            Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
            Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
            DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
            Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
            Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
            CPU: E8400
            Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
            Hard Drive: 500G
            Case: Antec P182
            The Old Guy
            kin3
            sigpic

Comment

From reading through that article it looks like the TN panels without the reaction time compensation are being falsely advertised. The box says 5ms but the average is 13ms, thats a big difference and a noticable one.

The non TN panels seem to be the winners in the 24" size currently.

Comment

Actually, my understanding is that any specs you see advertised like response time and contrast ratio should be taken with a grain of salt.
                For one, the ms response time is usually gray-to-gray, and not black-to-black, which would be a truer test.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Here's a new review of 24 inch LCDs from Anandtech.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3302

So Kin3 you really like the 2407? From that review, the Dell 2408 looks pretty good. I was looking at upgrading from my Dell 2001FP. I guess it's identical to yours except it has an improved color gamut and additional input options.

Comment

I love my Dell 24" HC... I use it for not just my computer, but its also hooked up to my Wii, Satellite, PS3, and the USB hub/media reader just ROX!
                    Oyee

Comment

There are actually a few 24" models in different price ranges that DELL offers right now.
                      The newest one is supposed to have fixed a lot of the negatives from last models, but it is the most expensive. THere are rebate cupons if you know where to look, like:

http://www.techbargains.com/

Go there and type in like 2408WFP in the search. I think they are all expired, but new ones come out like every week or 2 weeks.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I know what I'm spending my stimulus rebate check on. Glad to help our economy out.

Comment

Yea I really like mine. I do photo stuff so I bought a Spyder 3 to calibrate the colors and everything looks great. I have no problem gaming at native res. Just enjoying my decision.
                          The Old Guy
                          kin3
                          sigpic

Comment

am looking to get a 24" to use as 2nd monitor/tv/movie watcher..was leaning towards that cheap westinghouse that has a 2ms refresh and hdmi input..

anyone tried one of these..?

Comment

There are some reviews out for it, but it is just average. Make sure you understand it is not a true 2ms refresh, that is just a marketing pitch.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X