Upgrade time, unfortunately

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade time, unfortunately

Well my mobo is effectively dead and as such I need to upgrade. I really didn't want to upgrade now, I was hoping to wait until the P45 mobos and the next gen video cards were released to see how things look.

I'm going to be re-using everything except for the cpu, mobo, and ram.

I have commented on tons of threads here about builds yet when it comes to mine I'm struggling to make the best choice. I just wasn't prepared to do it now. I have the go ahead to upgrade these parts but the clause is that I can't upgrade when the nehalms come out, this rig has to be solid for 2-3 years outside of video card upgrade. So I'm interested in your opinions?

The rig is for gameing first and some photoshop cs3. I'm leaning heavily towards getting a q6600 simply because I can OC it to keep up in games while benefiting from the other cores if and when needed. I like the 8400 as a second option but due to the length of time I need this for the quad is safer?

Motherboards are causing me no end of stress. Seeing as I need a solid base to last me two to three years I'm leary of going with the p35 boards, as great as they are. I have looked at a few x38 boards like the Asus P5E and the Gigabyte DS4 (though no were stocks it) but the new eVga 750i looks really nice and can OC well. The PCI-E 2.0 slots are a sticking point for me. I know currently that they are not needed but in 1.5 - 2 years they may be nice to have?

For ram I have been looking at the Crucial Ballistics 2x2GB pc6400 ram. It apparently will OC really well. My fall back is the OCZ platinum series.

My budget is $700 Canadian, I'm looking at buying from either:

http://www.ncix.com

http://www.directcanada.com

Best selection and prices for me plus only one tax instead of two.

Fire away, I will consider everything but benchmarks and facts sway me more then personal opinions. :)

Re: Upgrade time, unfortunately

Considering the situation you are in, would it be possible to just spend $75 on a cheap but usable motherboard now just to get you through till nelehalm?

For instance, look at these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%2475+-+%24100

That Gig. board got some great reviews.

Here it is for you:
    http://www.directcanada.com/products...cture=GIGABYTE
    $87.80

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

hey Longbow..check the Admin forum..I posted a reply to you about fry's..:)

Comment

ordered 2 of these..$$$ cheaper than newegg..also has rebate..
        http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5269577

$199.00 for Q6600
        http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5101696

Comment

Thanks Birdie, I will look into the admin forum soon. Those are some sweet prices but I fear that all the fees and duties to get them will eliminate any savings. :row__585:

Bamboo I'm thinking about that route as an option. However I know my wife and no matter how cheap I go this time she will say no to upgrading in anything less then two years. That is why I'm so concerned about getting the right mobo.

Comment

I actually explained things to my wife last time I did an upgrade, and she actually understood that it was either me spend $100 now just to keep the computer running or $1000 for a whole new system. And $100 is a drop in the bucket she will forget about in a year compared to the dent $800 will make.

On the other hand, you could actually pull off the cpu/mb/ram upgrade for about $400-$500 easily, since you can get the q6600 for close to $200 now, with a $130 or so motherboard, and under $100 for 4 gigs of RAM.

Are you sure you can reuse your OS?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I believe I can re use my OS. I don't think its an OEM, luckily. If I was just to replace the mobo I would need to find a decent socket 939 board.

I did some looking around and found I think a good solution:

Q6600 (retail) - $218
              DFI LP Dk X38 - $206.70
              OCZ PC1000 2x2gb - $118

Total with tax, free shipping and insurance is $573.30

I could trim some money from the ram and I still might, but the difference is rather small. The motherboard will OC like crazy, has a decent feature set and will handle all the 45mm processors if I go that route. Plus its pci-e 2. To get a decent p35 mobo I'm looking at around $140-$185 though the gigabyte starts lower down at about $90.

I might consider buying another 939 socket mobo and just holding off as well but now that I'm this far along why stop :icon19: Seriously though I could only find one and it was the same price as these and not a very good board at that.

Comment

Yeah, didn't know you were still 939. Ouch.
                How old is your Gfx. card though. With all the new goodies, sounds like it will be a bottleneck for you.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Currently I have an 8800gts 640mb. I think that it will do for now, no need to upgrade until the new cards are out.

Comment

One of my guildies reports an amazing amount of bang-for-buck for $200:

http://matureasskickers.yuku.com/topic/415
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I still can't see going AMD. I really want them to come back, but it just is not the time.
                      I am actually so tired of reading articles about their compatibility problems I just quit reading them. I still see the headlines in my RSS feeds though.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

What kinds of compatibility problems? (Might be worth starting a new thread on the subject.)
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

my gaming rig now is a 4600+ socket 939 with 3-gigz pc3200, 8800gts (the 340MB one) and dual 150-gig rappy's in the raid..all that in a micro LAN case..! and i get 100fps @ 1680x1050 with XP Pro SP4 32-bit playing CoD4...

socket 939 is still VERY viable...i do not have crysis, so I cannot say if it would even run, but it does CoD4 just fine

Comment

I am impressed that you feel comfortable putting sp4 on that xp box this early.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

LoL, Birdie is a microsoft theif, he stole sp4 :row__642:

I'm definetly not going AMD this time. I loved my amd64 3700. I was able to hit 250fsb and a bit higher no problem, 24/7 stable and cool with the right parts (it will most likely be up for sale soon :row__593:). It did a good job allowing me to play games up to COD4. It struggled a bit with Arma. However I usually go with what ever is the top chip at the time, currently the intels are there so I'm going that route.

I have pretty much made up my mind and Im going with the DFI X38 as the price isn't much more then a good p35 board and it will OC just as high as most p35's. It will also be a bit more future proof for me then the p35.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X