Any SHUTTLE XPC owners out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any SHUTTLE XPC owners out there?

Hey Folks... I have this Shuttle XPC (Shuttle SD32-G2-SV-V1 Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel 945G) with a Intel C2D 4300 Cpu... I am currently running a PCIX 7600GTO Cards...

Now it is upgrade time... and I am assuming the MASSIVE 250 Watt shuttle Power supply won't support a new DX10 Video card... I do see there is an Upgrade supply out there for like $90.00 that will give me a sweet 300watts.. (Sarcasm!) ... Do we think that 50 watt jump will work to get me to a Decent DX 10 card (ex. 8800 or a 9600)? Or would an ATI card get me similar performance at less POWER usage...??

Or should I just gamble and thow in a 8800/9600 and hope for better power usage then the 7600gto becasue of better engineering and design?? ;-) (Hey..I can always hope!)
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: Any SHUTTLE XPC owners out there?

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

Comment

Good stuff Sord... thanks
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

One thing I would add is that Shuttle PSUs are very efficient and can usually be compared to other PSUs 50w-100w greater than itself. For example a 250w PSU on a shuttle can do the work of a 300w-350w regular system. I have a SB61G2 v3 shuttle (which is about 4 years old but thats an entirely different issue) that has a 250w PSU and I am able to overclock my 6600gt which recommends at least a 350w PSU. I talked with ppl at shuttle about whether or not putting the 6600 card in my system and they said that they have had reports of people running SLI on just their 400w PSU. I have found independent reports and posts that say the same thing so my bet is that putting a 350w PSU in your system will let you use the latest cards. My only concern would be if they actually fit...

Comment

Originally posted by Tarthkin View Post
          I have found independent reports and posts that say the same thing so my bet is that putting a 350w PSU in your system will let you use the latest cards. My only concern would be if they actually fit...
          Thanks for that info... I know that they make a 300 Watt PSU for my unit (at the $90 mark....for 50 extra Watts..) but I don't think the bigger ones shuttle makes would fit or work..

And yeah..the only room I have is for a SINGLE Slot solution with a Very small FAN/cooling solution... (any suggestions on this?)

It does seem impressive that in the generation of the 500 W ps a simple 300w from shuttle will do the work just as well... I guess quality is the ticket... a Cheap 600w is not as good as a quality 300 watter..
          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder

Comment

Originally posted by peardog View Post
            Thanks for that info... I know that they make a 300 Watt PSU for my unit (at the $90 mark....for 50 extra Watts..) but I don't think the bigger ones shuttle makes would fit or work..
            Your right, 300w is the largest the older XPC cases can go. Newer ones ship with 400w PSUs but the sizing is different.

Originally posted by peardog View Post
            And yeah..the only room I have is for a SINGLE Slot solution with a Very small FAN/cooling solution... (any suggestions on this?)
            Your going to be looking at 8800gt models and 9600gt models for nvidia. I know there has been lots of discussion on the differences between these two models as well as links to independent reports of performance. Heres a link to a 9600gt test:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/129...ted/index.html

Comment

I own and use a Shuttle XPC as my gaming rig almost exclusively.
              If you're worried about the PSU being outclassed, consider I have my Shuttle configured thusly:

An Intel Core 2 Duo 6850 CPU
              4 GB of Ram (2x2GB kit)
              CL SB X-Fi soundcard
              500GB WD SATA2 HDD
              and a BFG GeForce 8800 GT GPU

It's quiet, stays relatively cool despite only having one 120mm fan, and the PSU can handle all those power hungry bits including the Dx10 Video card.

The only problem you might have is in your choice of video card. Since space is at a premium in the tiny cases it is impossible to install a GPU that normally takes up two expansion slots of space (one for the card, the other for the heat pipe) UNLESS you don't ever want to use the PCI slot. I decided I did want to use a dedicated soundcard since I wanted to save the ~15% or so of CPU power that it would take to process sound on-board. Tarthkin's GPU suggestions are worth considering.

sigpic

Donate Blood. Ask for a gun and a bucket.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X