Dual Xeon question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Xeon question

I came across two Xeon workstations today. Both are dual-capable, but only have one processor each, 3.4ghz, 64-bit processors each. They are both the same speed, but different stepping. Does this matter, or can I put them both in one machine and use them for a dual Xeon fast machine? The board in it supports PCIe 16x, and DDR2-3200 ECC Registered memory (there was none in it).

Re: Dual Xeon question

i think you can try to boot without damage.

unless they are differet fsb/multiplier, then no... you can't use them together.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

They're both 3.4ghz, 800mhz FSB processors, with the same multiplier. Apparently they're not from the same batch, and therefore have a different stepping (one is F4A and the other is F43, according to their respective bioses). They both boot in their respective motherboards with 2gb of Registered ECC in them.
      I'll try booting it with both in one of them and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Ok, so it required them to be in the machine in a certain order (apparently one is "lesser" than the other), and then it would boot, and then I installed XP......wow is it fast. Funny thing....shows up as 4 processors in task manager. Was running Spybot S&D while having several other things open.....had only 30% processor usage.

Comment

Xeon is hyper-threading (HT) and hence shows up as a dual-core. (It's not quite a dual-core, but does use the SMP features of the OS.)
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X