Today's graphics cards: the value angle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's graphics cards: the value angle

Pretty good article I think many here would like to see, though if you are up and up on the up and up, you might already know a lot of this.

Link:
    Today's graphics cards: the value angle How much GPU does your dollar get you?

Here is what they come up with for the conclusion graph

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Today's graphics cards: the value angle

I didn't read through the whole article but the 9600gt SLi setup stands out as a great performer for good value. If the multi card drivers and game support keeps expanding SLi and X-fire may just be the way to go?

I would love to see the next gen cards thrown into the mix and see how everything looks. The dual card set ups may suddenly shoot to the right a good amount?

Comment

the 9600GT only 64 of these "Stream Processors"..whatever they do, while the 8800's have 112 and 128...

I am not sure what the heck they do, but it seems like the 9600's must be really lacking by comparison..

This only makes my decision that much harder...I simply do not know what to get. And this the last piece of the puzzle for me..I have everything else all sitting by waiting for a Vid card..

I need to know the best single card solution, and it needs to last me a couple years..

So what do you guys think..? 8800GTS..?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121218

Comment

8800GTS is one of the best single card solutions around along with the 9800GTX but that is just too expensive for the little gains in performance it offers
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I was just reading thru the article and I am amazed that the little 9600GT's in SLI keep on winning the "Frames per $$" category..

I would really not care to go SLI..as my board is either [email protected] or [email protected] each on the PCIe slots..so I do not think I could gain performance really..but I know so little about SLI these days..

Comment

If you are building a whole new system, and want it to last as long as possible, I would go with the 9800gtx if I was buying today.
            Here it is on sale

EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB PCI Express Video Card $269.99, May. 9 5 AM

With that said, birdie you have waited this long, and the new cards are right around the corner. If I were in your shoes, I would wait. But I know how the itch goes when all your parts are there just waiting. You could always go the EVGA upgrade route.
            Thinking just get the 9600 GT for now, since it is only like $130, and then come June upgrade to one of the hot new cards. Better yet, hold off as long as possible in the 3 month window and by that time the newness of the card prices will have come down, and get a good deal on one.
            Of course, then you would have to go EVGA's Nvidia, and who knows, ATI may blow everyone's mind and you will wish you had waited till the 1st week of June to find out.

You know I will be posting all the news as soon as I find out, and there isn't but like 25 days to go till the big show of the summer.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'd agree, 8800GTS or 8800GT hit the sweet spot. I don't think SLI is worth the headache you may bring upon yourself. If you go 8800GTS make sure it's the newer version w/512MB RAM.
              |TG|Melee
              Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...