Help! FPS Spikes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! FPS Spikes

Alright, hello everone. I have run into a problem with my computer. I'll post the specs down below, but here is the lowdown. My ping is fine, and I have tested it on different games, and different servers (ArmA, CSS).

Anyway, what happens is that once I have started up a game, about a minute later the FPS starts to spike. I get around 150-200 FPS regularly, and then these spikes bring them to around 7-15 fps. I re-applied the thermal paste to my CPU, and it still occurs.

Also, the core temp is 43C and while playing a game it jumps to around 75C

Computer Specs:
    Mobo: MSI K8N
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
    Processor: Intel Core Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
    Ram: 2 Gigs
    Operating System: Windows XP

Help!

He who believes he knows the ending of things before they begin is either a very wise person or an idiot. Regardless, he is unhappy for he hast drove a knife into the heart of wonder. -Osten Ard

Re: Help! FPS Spikes

what kind of cooler do you have for your CPU and did the fan die
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1424&CatId=493

Looks like that, not sure if its that exact one though...

And no it didn't die, can still use the computer, just the FPS spikes.

He who believes he knows the ending of things before they begin is either a very wise person or an idiot. Regardless, he is unhappy for he hast drove a knife into the heart of wonder. -Osten Ard

Comment

Are the spikes at a certain entraval? Like do they happen every 5 mins, 10 mins.?
        You also didn't say if the spikes come and go. Like do the FPS drop, then come back, then drop again, or do they just stay low.

Have you tried shutting down all your unneeded processes in the task manager?
        It almost sounds something like an antivirus kicking on and off.

The quickest way to get to the bottom of it is to get a 2nd monitor and plug it into your video card. Your 8600 supports dual monitors. Keeps some resource monitors going in the 2nd monitor while you run around in the primary. You will be able to watch what actually happens when the spikes occur.
        If you dont' have a 2nd monitor, borrow one from a friend, or you can usually find free ones here:
        http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites.html
        Just go to the one closest to you, I think this one
        http://boise.craigslist.org/
        and search the free section or just search for CRT. A quick look shows a 19" for $10, but usually a couple times a week you will see some for free.

If you need some help finding some resource monitors, let us know.

I really think though that shutting down all unnecessary processes in the task manager should do the trick.

Also was just thinking could even be either overheating or power supply not giving the gfx. card enough juice, causing it to cut back.
        When was the last time you blew your case out with a can of compressed air? Especially the heat sink on the gfx card.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The spikes do occur at intervals, when I counted it was 20 second interval when the spikes start up. It speeds up to 7-9 second intervals after that. They do come in and out.

I have tried shutting down most process in the task manager, I have around 50 in there, so I really don't know what I need or don't need.

I cleaned the heat sink and gfx card with compressed air when I put new thermal paste in.

How do I check to see if the gfx card is getting enough power?

I have a second monitor, whats this resource monitoring? Is it just opening up the task manager and looking at the processes?

Also, I have been playing before this for around a year on this comp...

Comment

I suggest making sure everting that is not needed while playing is completely sgutdown, such as anti-virus and other programs. Then do a complete clean up of the computer, disk cleanup and defrag. Maybe anti-spyware and adware scanners as well. You must also have the graphics turned down some instead of running recommended settings to get 150-200FPS, I mean that is way up there for the card and processor you are running. Turn the eye candy on some to get down to maybe 90FPS. Aparently it must be something you had downloaded or installed knowingly or not that is causing this problem if you have played for almost a year without issues. So that is the reason to make sure all background task that are not needed are shutdown and checking for virus's and spyware. I guess the PSU could be crapping out on you to cause this though.

Comment

When I was on XP I used to use a program like this one
              http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...artClose.shtml
              that shuts down all but the most necessary processes with just a click, and then lets you start them back up again when you are done gaming.

As for the resource monitors, there are tons out there, with task manager being the one that comes with XP.
              I prefer this much better one from microsoft
              http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx
              I think it does it automatically, or there is a setting, but anytime something big kicks in, it will show up with a red line though it. So you could game with it open in a 2nd monitor and if you see something light up red at the same time your spikes hit, your have a winner.
              I used it to find a nasty virus/trojen on a buddy's computer because a process would light up red at the same time the pop up windows would happen, even though the process was named after another common .exe

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Ditto Bamboo's recommendation on Process Explorer. It's the "professional grade" version of Task Manager, and I use that when I'm developing code and need much more detail than TM can provide. For example, I often set the lower pane to display DLLs so I can see how a particular DLL got loaded. (There's also a nice utility from the same group called Handle.exe that shows all locked files and what process owns them.)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                  I suggest making sure everting that is not needed while playing is completely sgutdown, such as anti-virus and other programs. Then do a complete clean up of the computer, disk cleanup and defrag. Maybe anti-spyware and adware scanners as well. You must also have the graphics turned down some instead of running recommended settings to get 150-200FPS, I mean that is way up there for the card and processor you are running. Turn the eye candy on some to get down to maybe 90FPS. Aparently it must be something you had downloaded or installed knowingly or not that is causing this problem if you have played for almost a year without issues. So that is the reason to make sure all background task that are not needed are shutdown and checking for virus's and spyware. I guess the PSU could be crapping out on you to cause this though.
                  CSS is easily run on my computer on high graphics w/ 150-200 FPS. I have to tone ArmA down to get playable gameplay however.

Could be something I downloaded, but I don't remember downloading anything recently.

The reason why I thought it could be my CPU is because this has happened before. When i built my computer, this occurred, and the heat sink was not properly put in. After we did that, it worked... but not in this case. Also, when I start up the game everything runs fine... then the processor heats up and jumps a little bit then goes back down, which I thought was causing the lag spikes.

Also, I tried the 'SmartClose' program which took out half of the processes, but the lag spikes still occured. I am trying the Process Explorer right now, hopefully it works for me.

I am also keen to downloading some Spyware removal and anti-virus removal. Does anyone have any good free suggestions? I know Spybot S&D is good for spyware, but I don't know any for viruses.

Thanks for all the input so far, its way better than trying to do nothing.

Comment

run a program like Coretemp that records your temps to a text file over a long period while you game, and that will show you if it is your CPU.

Also helpful if you have a 2nd monitor is Speedfan program (google it)

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      run a program like Coretemp that records your temps to a text file over a long period while you game, and that will show you if it is your CPU.

Also helpful if you have a 2nd monitor is Speedfan program (google it)
                      Yep, already did the core temp thing, it gets up to 78 C while running a game.

Comment

Really?
                        Are you using an aftermarket cooler? How good is the air flow through your case? That is pretty warm for a 4500

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I posted it earlier, thats the closest I know of what it is

Comment

Sorry, missed that.
                            That looks exactly like the stock Intel one. How is the air flow in the case?
                            And might want to look into upgrading that cooler either way.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

One big fan in the back, one in front, one on side.

http://www.coolermaster.com/products...detail&id=2908

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X