Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Upgrade

Hey kids,

In the near future I'm going to have $50-$75 to blow on a RAM upgrade for my computer. I'm presently running on 256MB PC3200 DDR400 stick on a MSI KT4VL motherboard, WinXP Home operating the system.

I figured I can go to pricewatch.com and look up generic RAM, or I can ask here and see if anyone knows of better deals on RAM that might have a lower chance of sucking.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Re: RAM Upgrade

Are you keeping your old stick or tossing it? If you are keeping your old module and adding another then just get the same kind. Your RAM speed would drop to that of the worst module. If you ask me, memory advertised as having low address select timings is overrated anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
      Are you keeping your old stick or tossing it? If you are keeping your old module and adding another then just get the same kind. Your RAM speed would drop to that of the worst module. If you ask me, memory advertised as having low address select timings is overrated anyways.
      Well the general idea behind "upgrading" is to "make it better than it is now".

If someone has a plan that involves both ditching the old stick AND staying under budget, I'm all ears. My presumption, however, is that the old stick will stay.
      [volun2]
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.

Comment

I see I didn't read your post quite right. When it comes to price I don't know the best place to go. I'd say a local shop with friendly return policies if possible in case your new and old parts don't play well together. As for brand, if you are mixing with generic RAM, I'd get generic stuff to go with it and not bother with more expensive names. Kingston value RAM seems to have the best price near here.

I'd imagine your mainboard doesn't use dual-channel RAM so that should be fine.

Comment

ill sell you 512 of rosewill for 70.00. I think its either 2700 or 320, but either way, unless you got a 200 fsb chip, it will work.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I personally like my Kingston 256k RAM
            I have 2 of the same kind, adding up to 512k (actually.. it registers at 528k AND 511k..wierd)

But it is kingston 256, and i bought it for around $70US

Comment

Would it be safe to assume that I don't have said higher-speed FSB chip if I've done nothing to the mobo? How would one go about ensuring this were the case?
              [volun2]

Comment

Post your CPU model and we can tell you what FSB the chip runs. Whatever RAM you get you'll still notice a big improvement over 256MB.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                  Post your CPU model and we can tell you what FSB the chip runs. Whatever RAM you get you'll still notice a big improvement over 256MB.
                  Athlon XP 2100+, according to my sales invoice.
                  [volun2]

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                    Athlon XP 2100+, according to my sales invoice.
                    I believe that's on a 233 FSB so even PC2100 is good.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

score one for sarc..... hes right... 2100 would work
                      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X