X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Testing 2GB versus 4GB of Memory on Vista 64-bit

Link:
    Game Testing 2GB versus 4GB of Memory on Vista 64-bit

Thought some folks here would like to see this. I wish they had used BF2 as a benchmark, because I know it goes way over 2gigs of RAM when I play that.

Of course with Vista actually being much better at memeory management than XP, it will just cut back on other things to make room for BF2 running if you only have 2 gigs, but I like being able to exit the game or alt-tab and it be like I wasn't running BF2 at all.
    I know on my old XP, after you exited BF2 it was about a 15 sec. wait till you could actually do anything on your computer again, and double clicking a shortcut too soon made it take even longer.

I also like that they pointed out about the load times. I have been surprised about how quickly crysis will reload after you die. It is just a flash, and you are back.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Game Testing 2GB versus 4GB of Memory on Vista 64-bit

So for current games it's not much of a difference if any in fps. I think Supreme commander is one game thats documented to easily break the 2gb barrier. Perhaps it would be better to test with it?

Overall your system would benefit from 4gb if you have a lot of apps running while gaming, say like fraps, TS, admin software, xfire

Comment

Re: Game Testing 2GB versus 4GB of Memory on Vista 64-bit

i run 8gb on my system with pagefile turned off.. so im never queuing for information off my hard drive unless i open a file, or load a new map, and even then, my raid setup is smoking fast (compared to my old computer) at 70+MB/s more ram indeed makes your system work better, you may not notice the difference while playing a game (increased fps) but alt tab times are less than a second, and OS resources arent banked on the HD when the game is active, and when you alt tab, game info AND OS info are still in the mem instead of swapping them to the page file