X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless networking on Ubuntu Linux

Some context:

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
    That's just it, I don't understand much of anything at that link. That link assumes a basic understanding of linux, which I do not have. The only reason I even tried Ubuntu is because I've been told that I can do everything via the GUI now. I'm most definitely NOT a command line sorta guy...

I tried copying the code from that site and pasting it into the "Terminal" application, and it looked like it was working, but then it threw all kinds of errors at me and I figured I had guessed wrong and that there's something else I should be doing.
    Original howto link:

http://www.linuxwireless.org/en/user...devicefirmware

I googled for "ubuntu wireless firmware" and got this hit:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...20&mode=linear

So let's take it step by step. Which version of Ubuntu are you using? (I'm a Red Hat person running CentOS so I'll be flying somewhat blind here and need you to "drive" and tell me what you see.)

Can you get to the command prompt? Is there a /lib/firmware directory?

Have you downloaded the "tarball" (like a zip file) with the Broadcomm firmware? Do you have the "firmware cutter" program that extracts the firmware from the tarball and installs it where the Linux driver expects to find it?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Wireless networking on Ubuntu Linux

This thread may be relevant to my interests. I have the annoying 8187/8189/8197 Realtek wireless on my laptop, and I've never gotten it to function in Ubuntu. (Tried 7.10 and 8.04)

Comment

For Realtek:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571046&page=3

(I'm not doing wireless on Linux, and avoid it on Windows as much as possible, so don't know how helpful that is.)
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Open System > Administration > Restricted drivers manager. The firmware for the Broadcom should show up under "Firmware". Click the "Enabled" box and hit close. You probably need to restart X (ctrl + alt + backspace) or the entire machine.
        included for the sake of completeness.
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

I'm going to try to find time to update this thread and get my laptop working...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

You had a broadcom card right Cing? I think that the newest version of ubuntu has a new driver. I got a a big wireless performance increase when I upgraded.
            Retired 6th DB

Comment

I sorta-got wireless working on my laptop a couple days ago. I was forced to install x86 Ubuntu 8.04 to get ndiswrapper to function appropriately. WPA2 seems to work fine in roaming mode, but I generally need to keep re-adding the SSID and pass to connect with the SSID broadcast disabled on my router. Additionally, WPA(1) doesn't seem to function. It will connect for four seconds, then the signal guage will drop to 0, which stinks because I have a borrowed range extender that does not support WPA2. Where I need wireless, I must put the laptop in a specific spot to get the connection, though once it's live it seems to hold when I move about.

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator View Post
                You had a broadcom card right Cing? I think that the newest version of ubuntu has a new driver. I got a a big wireless performance increase when I upgraded.
                Ha!

I got it working by following the instructions in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=12

And then I promptly broke it by updating Ubuntu.

I'll mess with it some more later...

I have no idea how to do most of the stuff in the first post of that thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880218
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I had my wireless stop working in ubuntu not too long ago. It took me a while to realize that it had disabled the restricted drivers for the wireless after an ubuntu update. You can enable a restricted driver by going to the System menu and under Administration (I think) there should be a restricted driver manager. You click the checkbox for your drivers and it should work again.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Restricted driver manager? I don't see it.

Could you double check where you found it? Maybe I just need to re-download Ubuntu and start from scratch...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

That's where it is for me.

System > Administration > Restricted Driver Manager

I don't know much about linux/ubuntu so I wouldn't have a clue as to why it doesn't show up. It could be a separate package I downloaded with the package manager to get this feature but I can't remember.

Comment

Hmmm....
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

As an experiment, I try both the built-in network adapter of my laptop, and an external one. Both are USB devices and both are RealTek and use the same drivers. The only known difference is a slight change in model number. The 8197 is the Toshiba Laptop ID number -- the drivers don't even list it but the drivers work. It's apparently a re-numbered 8187 or 8189. I was just curious if the external one functioned, but not only did it function but it reported 7dBm greater signal strength (5x received signal) and it achieves my connection's DL limit, while the internal adapter stopped at 1/4th that speed.

Is this a driver or setting issue, or are built-in wireless adapters crappy by nature? Given the option I'd rather not use the external for the laptop since I would like to put a desktop in this location and letting it use the external adapter would be nice.

Comment

The restricted drivers manager was a separate package I downloaded. It can be found in the package manager search. It's pretty handy for enabling and disabling drivers instead of doing some command line stuff. I use it for my graphics (ATI) and wireless (Broadcom).

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                              The restricted drivers manager was a separate package I downloaded. It can be found in the package manager search. It's pretty handy for enabling and disabling drivers instead of doing some command line stuff. I use it for my graphics (ATI) and wireless (Broadcom).
                              When you say "package manager search", you're referring to the Synaptic Package Manager, yes? I find nothing by searching for "restricted driver".
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X