X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel slashing desktop CPU prices

Link:
    Intel slashing desktop CPU prices

Intel is planning some price cuts in Q3 and at the same time they're planning on launching more quad-core and dual-core models, Digitimes reports.

The Core 2 Quad Q9650 at 3GHz will be launched at US$530, if you’re buying 1,000 units of course, whereas the Core 2 Quad Q9550 will get a price cut of 40%. It’s currently priced at US$530, which means that in Q3 it will set you back just US$316.

After the Q3 changes, the only 65nm quad-core CPU that will still be on offer from Intel is the Q6600, and it will be priced at US$203, a price cut of $21.

Intel will launch the Core 2 Duo E8600 at 3.33 GHz, priced at US$266, whereas the Core 2 Duo E8500 will drop from US$266 to US$183, and the E8400 from US$183 to US$163.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Intel slashing desktop CPU prices

Thats a nice price on the 8500. The $530 price tag is a little steep for that new quad core. Especially when you pit it against a Q6600 at $200; does the extra $330 dollars get you that big of a performance jump?

Comment

New update out this morning on price cuts for dual cores like the e8400 for $159....

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=7554&Itemid=1

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I hate building a computer just to have the rices come down shortly afterwards, makes me so mad. But at least now a 45nm quad core is looking more promising and I may get rid of my E8400. A lot of people think it would be a waste for me to do that but I think it woouldn't, what you think Bamboo?
        Keep the E8400 or get rid of it and get a Q9450, possibly the Q9559 when the prices drop?

Comment

I think you should wait for the moment.
          You chip is still really good, and if for some weird reason you find you need more go, you could easily run at 3.5 safely just upping your FSB.

About Christmas time I would revisit the idea though. By then a bunch of new games will be out that should make use of 4 cores, and if you are playing any of them maybe Santa will drop a quad in your stocking.

For instance have you seen the new videos from FarCry 2? The first hands on reports are saying it is kind of like a first person grand theft auto shooter.

Check this out:

Making Far Cry 2's Africa
          Far Cry 2: No Girls Allowed
          Far Cry 2 Brings GTA Sandbox to the Serengeti

also, ARMA 2 is supposed to be, and Stalker 2, which looks so much better than Crysis.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I might be able to take advantage of the price drop for the E8400 if I don't buy before Q3. :)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yeah, bamboo I was thinking maybe Santa would be nice enough to drop one in the stocking. I was not talking about any sooner cause the Boss(wife) may not allow me to get one any sooner since I just built this computer not that long ago, she is always crying I can never be satisfied with what I have anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by msdz View Post
                Yeah, bamboo I was thinking maybe Santa would be nice enough to drop one in the stocking. I was not talking about any sooner cause the Boss(wife) may not allow me to get one any sooner since I just built this computer not that long ago, she is always crying I can never be satisfied with what I have anyway.

I know that feeling......lol
                |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X