No announcement yet.

UK planning to monitor and record every phone call, web page, and email sent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK planning to monitor and record every phone call, web page, and email sent

This is very bad news!!!

Home Office plans to create 'Big brother' database for phones calls, emails and web use

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: UK planning to monitor and record every phone call, web page, and email sent

Im in the middle of re-reading 1984 and it is really scary the things that have come to pass that Orwell only dreamed of in the 50's when he wrote this...

Comment

Re: UK planning to monitor and record every phone call, web page, and email sent

Oh no, my terrorist plot is thwarted because my E-Mail confirming where I will pick up my trusty piece of Semtex will be recorded among 3 million other E-Mails sent that day.

Damn those clever Government people.
      Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

God bless technology!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

1984 is a great book.

Read it, or the thought police will come knocking.

Originally posted by linked article
          every web page visited by British citizens
          Expect to see some government agents on TG soon!
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Yh, I'll have to check it out.

It's weird, when people say it, I kinda think, "Ah well, it doesn't matter, and it will help to catch the people tryna kill us (or just put them in jail after...)," but now I feel like it's a huge invasion of privacy.

Besides, Govt guys can't understand 1337/gangster/terrorist speak, so I don't think this will help them much, except to know who's on pron.

Comment

m4yb3 1 c4|\| h45 j08 w17h g0\/7 45 1337Sp34k t|24n5l4t0r?

Comment

Haha nope.. This will only make terrorists start using teamspeak for their conversations...

and I love living in America where no politician could ever get away with somesort of treachery like this... Wait a minute....!?!?
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Hate to tell ya, but my understanding is they can and do monitor teamspeak and ventrillo.

My old squad leader in another clan said he had 2 guys show up at his door after a conversation on ventrillo when the guys were joking around, and of course talking about bombs (they were also in game). We all decided to mess around and start saying buzz words, and he got pissed and left saying he didn't want them coming again (he was the registered server renter).
                  I dont' know for a fact he was telling the truth, but he doesn't usually joke around about those things.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

That's just BS. Talk about violation of privacy...

Comment

I don't like the idea... Way to many issues and problems will be created not solved by this. That said, I am happy that the article said that they can only get the info with a court order, so people will have (hopefully) some protection from the state.

What I don't understand is why people are even considering such acts? I understand the need to collect information to protect lives, but still, find someone of interest THEN get a court order, this is going in reverse. Here people are found, then the Government gets a court order just so they can say they have one.

England already has one of the most elaborate CCTV networks in place to monitor almost every inch (or rather centimeter) of public streets and open area's, now cyberspace too? Things like this remind me of Hitler and his gestapo, Stalin and the secret police of the KGB, Saddam Husein and his revolutionary guard, Kim Jong-il, and heck almost any other political dictator ever to walk the face of the earth.

The worst part is people who sit idly by and say well I'm not a terrorist so I have nothing to worry about...

Did you know that Stalin was considered to be the 'hero' of his people? He signed the death warrants for thousands, set millions to work camps that were considered 'threats' to communism. Yet the people in those camp would write letters to Stalin asking for his help, unaware that he had sent them there to die. They thought they were the victims of corrupt camp workers, they were right. Yet the corruption came all they way from the top, and the the people were completely unaware.

I do understand the need to protect human life from acts of aggression but we have to be careful not to go too far.

~ Draken

Comment

As long as the information does not fall into the wrong hands then I am not bothered. I am all for people cracking down on such things.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
                        Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Disciple View Post
                          As long as the information does not fall into the wrong hands then I am not bothered. I am all for people cracking down on such things.
                          thats my attitude too

if they are taking it to the UK parliament then I suspect they just want to legitimise what they are already doing. Kind of like when they put forward a law where M15 can legally burglar peoples houses to place bugs, like they hadn't been doing that all along

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                            England already has one of the most elaborate CCTV networks in place to monitor almost every inch (or rather centimeter) of public streets and open area's, now cyberspace too? Things like this remind me of Hitler and his gestapo, Stalin and the secret police of the KGB, Saddam Husein and his revolutionary guard, Kim Jong-il, and heck almost any other political dictator ever to walk the face of the earth.
                            I honestly think the CCTV systems here are way overrated.

I've said his before on this forum and I'm not trying to make a statement about me as a person, but I know from first-hand experience that large level crime (not terrorism or acts against the state) is carried out much often on the streets without any police action being taken. The amount of CCTV is not nearly as bad as most people seem to think it is. (I've never seen the figures myself but they may also include speed cameras. There are much more speed cameras about than CCTV I think i can assure you that.)

Until someone's actually lived here, I don't think they can understand how it is, so it's not quite like the Gestapo or the Cheka (still remember secondary school history :D).

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                            The worst part is people who sit idly by and say well I'm not a terrorist so I have nothing to worry about...

Did you know that Stalin was considered to be the 'hero' of his people? He signed the death warrants for thousands, set millions to work camps that were considered 'threats' to communism. Yet the people in those camp would write letters to Stalin asking for his help, unaware that he had sent them there to die. They thought they were the victims of corrupt camp workers, they were right. Yet the corruption came all they way from the top, and the the people were completely unaware.
                            Yes...while you'll also remember that there was no freedom of the press, anyone that said anything negative at all, even the slightest, was killed, and basically if you didn't kiss Stalin's ass, you died, whereas satire and free press (no entirely, obviously) are still going strong and things like strikes and protests would be unheard of under Hitler and Stalin.

I think I'll wait a while before I dust off my old AK and form a group of rebels.

Honestly, I'd much rather have our situation of lower crime being watched more, than being watched less, and having my country being a hotbed for just about every huge organised gang in the world (as well as huge amounts of low level street crime, which is probably almost just as big here TBH) form Yakuza, to Mafia, to Triads, to the Nazis and white supremacists, to the rates of crime from gang culture of Latinos and Blacks in some of the worst areas in places like L.A. and New York (to name just a few places) to Eastern Europeans.

Comment

Don't you trust your government? How can it protect you if it doesn't know everything about you?
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X