No announcement yet.

Memory question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory question

Ok, here is one for all you memory gurus out there:

Which should I put into my system and run- 2 gig of Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-9136C5D (Running 1142MHz stock) or 4 gig Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO (Running 800MHz stock).

Which is more advantageous for a Vista 64 system? Which will better serve me for performance the larger ram or the less of, but faster ram?

BTW, I already have both but I am looking at using one or the other.

Last edited by TheBigC; 05-21-2008, 07:48 PM.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Memory question

As of yet, I haven't seen much improvement in the performance of the faster clocked DDR2s over the headaches of getting them to function properly.

Not having a setup as such, I can only go by what I read.

Without a doubt, the 4 gigs with vista 64 is better. Vista is a lot better at managing memory than XP, and even though it appears to use more, it gives it up a lot easier when it needs to, like with gaming.

For instance I am running at 1796mb of usage right now, with just firefox open (haven't closed it in a few hours). That sounds like a lot, but right now I could click on just about any shortcut and it would start up before I could blink. That is because Vista is keeping stuff in memory.

If you only run with 2 gigs, it won't be able to do that as well.

Also, I have had Crysis put me up near 3 gigs of memory usage, but it meant that Vista didn't have to empty any of the prefetch out to make room, so as soon as Crysis is quit, I can instantly start up any other program.

BF2 and ARMA both defiantly like having more than 2 gigs as well, and I have run both with only 2 gigs.

The speed difference will only give you maybe an extra 5% FPS in game if you did a 2 gig to 2 gig test comparison, but that would not be worth the overall pluses of the 4 gigs.

Also, that doesn't even take into account your FSB. Unless you are really overclocking your CPU, it will never be able to take advantage of that extra memory speed. The only way to use the speed would be lower your multiplier on the CPU and crank your FSB WAY WAY up, probably taking a loss on the CPU horsepower to get it up high enough to be running at 1:1.

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Here is my system and I haven't had problem except when I loaded had to use half of the memory to get Vista loaded. Then patched and no probllems since.

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
        Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
        Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
        DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
        Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
        Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
        CPU: E8400
        Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
        Hard Drive: 500G
        Case: Antec P182
        The Old Guy

Bamboo exlpained it well. Vista 64 will shine with the 4gb. Where as 2gb with a vista system might bottleneck slightly under certain circumstances due to the higher memory overhead of the OS, regardless of the ram speed.

More memory is always better than slightly faster memory.

Low latency and high capacity is better than higher clock speeds apparently.

I've heard of guys underclocking their RAM speeds to get a lower latency, as that's better apparently...
              Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed