hdmi question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hdmi question

i am looking into getting a new monitor (24-30 inch) and one thing i am thinking of doing is connecting my PS3 to it with the HDMI cable, but if i have read correctly, sound travels through the hdmi cable, would i still be able to connect the regular cable (composite/component) to the ps3 and run that to my AV stack? do monitors with hdmi and built in speakers have the sound come out of those?
    powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Re: hdmi question

Yes. You just select the right video and audio settings on the PS3. I have my PS3 hooked up to my PC monitor hdmi to dvi, and RCA to speakers.

Comment

Yes the sound will come out of the speakers on the tv using hdmi it wont be surround sound of cource but it will work.
      |TG| Plude220

Comment

Omg 30' tv >.>
        and i'm still stuck at my crappy 17' colored tv lol

Comment

not a 30'' tv, a 30'' computer monitor

=P

im downsizing my ps3 and wii gaming from a 72'' 1080i DLP because when i asked my parents if i could take the TV when i moved out, they just laughed =(
          ps3 are impossible to play on a 480i TV (standard def) its a 24'' crt tv, but it only has RCA inputs (component/composite<-mix those up alot... not the green/blue/red but the yellow one for video)
          i squint so hard trying to read stuff that i get a headache and stop playing 5 min into what i started playing

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
          Yes. You just select the right video and audio settings on the PS3. I have my PS3 hooked up to my PC monitor hdmi to dvi, and RCA to speakers.
          so... i could get a hdmi-> dvi adapter and use my current 22'' monitor? its a benq something with 1680x1050, not quite big enough for 1080 but could i send 720p through the cable? what resolutions can monitors take through DVI, 'cause i know my ps3 doesnt have 1680x1050 as a choice =P
          powered by Windows 7

. . . .

Comment

You can just set the 1680x1050 at 1280x768 and it will be the most accurate res. If that isn't available then set it at 1280x720

Comment

Originally posted by Tonk View Post

so... i could get a hdmi-> dvi adapter and use my current 22'' monitor? its a benq something with 1680x1050, not quite big enough for 1080 but could i send 720p through the cable? what resolutions can monitors take through DVI, 'cause i know my ps3 doesnt have 1680x1050 as a choice =P
              The monitor needs to be hdcp compliant. DVI can support up to 38402400. I got one of these:
              http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Mine is also 22" at 1680x1050 and the PS3 automatically runs at 1080p on that. (I assume it's being scaled down.) It looks great.

Comment

The monitor can scale the input. A lot of PS3 games are 720p and they get upscaled by either the monitor (or the PS3 depending on your settings).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

why hdcp? it WONT work without it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824014105
                  that is my monitor... its 20.1 not 22 lol, but would that work with your cord?

from http://gear.ign.com/articles/699/699896p1.html
                  a review of my monitor
                  quote:
                  A sad weakness of the FP202W is the fact that its DVI port is not HDCP compliant, meaning that when AACS copy-protection (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) is fully enabled, the monitor will not be able to display content in full 1080p. Distressing as this is, HDCP compliance has not rolled out as quickly as it should have across the board, and there are a rather limited number of monitors on the market that support it. Sony and Universal have announced that their first releases for the new formats will not downgrade resolution on analog connections, which ameliorates the lack of HDCP on the FP202W to some degree. Nevertheless, if Hollywood studios insist upon full implementation of AACS and HDCP a year or two down the road, the FP202W will become incompatible with protected content.