Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD or Pentium

AMD 64bit 3000 or P4 Prescott 3.0GHZ

I can get them both for same price but can anybody persuade me to go one way or the other? Is the 64 bit any use at the moment? Will the 1mb cache on the P4 be noticable opposed to the 512 amd? Which does the job better hypertransport or hyperthreading?

Ive read many reports and can come to no conclusion, which is the better chip?

Re: AMD or Pentium

http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/10492/?o=140

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread27071-1.html

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1425123

I'd go with AMD, personally... Plus you get a free copy of Windows XP64 since they're running an open beta.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would go with AMD as well because of the 64-bit capability. It's not much use now but it will come in handy later.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
        I would go with AMD as well because of the 64-bit capability. It's not much use now but it will come in handy later.
        The 64bit capability itself isn't of use, but it makes for an overall faster processor, even running a 32bit OS...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

When I researched this in early Sept. I went with an A64 2800+. You will want to get a socket 939 system though (and perhaps PCI express).

For gaming A64 is best. If you care about heat or noise (ie power consumption) A64 is best.

Oh and hypertransport and hyperthreading are not comparable.

Hyperthreading is a technology that allows the P4 to execute two software threads simultaneously, so it can help for software that is compiled for P4 with hyperthreading. For games, it doesn't help much.

Hypertransport is a high speed interconnect that is basically part of the A64 system architecture. You don't need to think about it much because its really an internal technology. What you should know is that it enables the memory controller to be on chip with the CPU core, rather than on the motherboard in another chip. This is part of what gives the A64 its real-world performance gains. It is also why A64 motherboards are so cheap (less Northbridge function).

Comment

also try to get an NForce 4 chipset.... pci express, serial ata raid, 3gbps, gigabit ethernet, only one chip onboard (no sounth and north bridge) 7.1 sound, AMD64 or sempron socket A ready.......

P4 is at the top of its platform life.... A64 is at the beginning.... more life out of the mobo with amd.....
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
              also try to get an NForce 4 chipset.... pci express, serial ata raid, 3gbps, gigabit ethernet, only one chip onboard (no sounth and north bridge) 7.1 sound, AMD64 or sempron socket A ready.......
              Do you know of a board that has all this yet? I know they're supposed to be out soon, but I haven't seen one.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Athlon hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                  Do you know of a board that has all this yet? I know they're supposed to be out soon, but I haven't seen one.
                  I believe nForce4 has been released but the boardmakers don't have any products out yet. ATi is also releasing a comparable chipset very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
                    I believe nForce4 has been released but the boardmakers don't have any products out yet. ATi is also releasing a comparable chipset very soon.

nvidia makes the best chipsets by far........

I like ati for video, but they need work still on the chipset market.....

and no, they are due out dec. 1st.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Vap0r
                      AMD 64bit 3000 or P4 Prescott 3.0GHZ

I can get them both for same price but can anybody persuade me to go one way or the other? Is the 64 bit any use at the moment? Will the 1mb cache on the P4 be noticable opposed to the 512 amd? Which does the job better hypertransport or hyperthreading?

Ive read many reports and can come to no conclusion, which is the better chip?
                      Athlon 64 3000 by far slaughters the Prescott. nForce3, or wait for nForce4 if you want the S939 board and all the goodies.

The best combination thus fars seemed to be:

Athlon64/nForce3/GeForce 6 series

I dunno what ATI was thinking releasing the X800 Pro to compete with the GeForce 6800 GT when it only has 12 pixel pipes as opposed to the GT's 16. And I don't know what Intel is smoking releasing the Prescot at speeds lower than 3.6ghz (where it gets smoked). The Northwoods at 3.6 and lower smoke the Prescotts.

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

Final problem is the graphics card, I thought I had it covered until I discovered the ATI X600 Pro, PCI express version. I may be a bit dumb on this but the Pro has 256MB and the X6000XT has only 128 but the latter is more expensive. What does it have that the Pro doesn't?

Comment

Picked my upgrade, a few week or so I'm gonna get this little lot -

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 512Kb
                          Radeon X600XT 256MB PCI-E DVI-I VIVO
                          Asus S939 K8T800PR Deluxe

Not many motherboards on the market at the minute so I'm not sure that the above is the best. I understand the nForce4 will be out soon but I assume they will be out of my budget for a good while.

Comment

amd

no contest

A64 3000/3200 (90nm
                            Asus A8V
                            gfx card will be a problem since the UK doesnt have any of the top end cards yet. Best card you can get is probably the 6800gt, as wolfman said, the x800pro is hurt by having only 12 pipelines... also a 6800 can be overclocked to ultra speeds normaly
                            From Adam Webb

Comment

Definately read this article at AnandTech.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X