Extended Family/Model F.4
    Core Stepping B0
    Technology 90 nm
    Core Speed 2793.1 MHz
    Multiplier x Bus speed 14.0 x 199.5 MHz
    Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz
    Stock frequency 2800 MHz
    Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
    L1 Data cache (per processor) 2 x 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    Trace cache (per processor) 2 x 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
    L2 cache (per processor) 2 x 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    Chipset & Memory
    Northbridge Intel i945P/PL/G/GZ rev. 00
    Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
    Graphic Interface PCI-Express
    PCI-E Link Width x16
    PCI-E Max Link Width x16
    Memory Type DDR2
    Memory Size 1024 MBytes
    Memory Frequency 266.0 MHz (3:4)
    CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 4 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
    Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 16 clocks
    System
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    System Name Dell DXP051
    System S/N D56KPB1
    Mainboard Vendor Dell Inc.
    Mainboard Model 0FJ030
    BIOS Vendor Dell Inc.
    BIOS Version A07
    BIOS Date 01/08/2007
    Memory SPD
    Module 1 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 512 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
    Module 2 DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz), 512 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics
    Software
    Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
    DirectX Version 9.0c

What kind of ram/ new video card should i buy? I want them on the cheap. My current video card idles at 70C, and is giving me discolored pixels, as pointed at by thegreatnardini, who helped me along and diagnosed the problem. the two things i was looking at:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130316
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146568
    Good ideas?

Re: Getting New/more RAM, new video card.

First thing you need to do is find out how many memory slots you have on your motherboard. From above you have 2, but if you have 2 empty, (for a total of 4) that will be a big help for you.
    I did some google searches and dell.com searches and can't find any real info on your motherboard, so you may need to do a live chat with dell.com or call them.
    You need to know the max # of gigs your motherboard supports, the speeds it supports also.
    Find that out and we will be able to help you a lot more.

As for what you listed, those are not good choices.
    How much can you spend. Do you have a birthday coming up where you could get something from your parents? Have you run this plan for an upgrade by your parents yet?
    About what you posted, that is good memory, but your motherboard may support faster memory, and you linked to a 1 gig kit, but for a meaningful upgrade from what you have you are going to want to get 2 gigs if you only have 2 slots on the motherboard. Also, you can get faster 2 gig kits for cheaper than what you linked to, like for around $35.
    Find out the info I mentioned above and we will give you a bunch of options.
    Also, forgot to mention if you bought the RAM you linked above, it would downclock itself to a slower speed if you try and mix it with the RAM you already have. You would be better off taking the RAM you have in now out and putting in 2 new gigs of good memory. You just need to find out how fast of memory your motherboard supports.

The video card you linked to would crap on itself and die with as much PR as you play.
    For a card that is going to be a good improvement for you and PR, as well as some other games you might start playing, I think you should look at at least a 9600GT, which can be found for about $130 after rebates.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eForce+9600+GT

There are other cheaper options of course, but any new games coming out that you are going to want to play are going to choke on them. Games like Battlefield 3 and others would just be happy with a 9600GT. We have talked a lot about the cards here in the forum, so if you search for it you will see how much good stuff we have said about it.

So in the end for a good upgrade that will last you a good bit of time (year or so), you need to save up or talk your parents into about $150 plus shipping.

Tell you what, if you really try and have trouble getting the info from Dell, and you are serious you can get the money for an upgrade, I will do the chat with dell for you and get the info. But I am busy so please try youself 1st.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I think he has a Dell XPS 400 Bamboo, it should have 2 extra ram slots and a max of 4GB.

Comment

I actually physically cringed when I opened the link to that video card :icon_eek:

I can not stress enough the importance of investing in a decent video card. You can get by on a lower cpu and cheaper ram but if you cheap out on the video card its all a waste. The 9600gt would be a solid choice, there may be some price drops or deals in the near future with the next gen cards being released. Your best bet is to find benchmarks for any potential cards you want and also the ones just up the price scale to see whats what.

Comment

Haha Long Bow. I cringed too.
          I actually closed the tab and clicked the link again just in case the link messed up.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I think the BFG 8800GT OC would be good :)

Comment

Good to see you back Twiggy!

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

My parents a very sensitive with computer stuff- Anything that goes wrong with the computer is my fault. (according to them) My budget would probably be around 200$.
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130085
                Good deal?
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150280
                Im leaning towords this one...

Comment

An 8800GT would be great, and maybe a little better than the 9600GT, but you won't be leaving any room for your RAM upgrade. And NO NO NO on the 8600 in the 1st link. Not worth it even for the $50, compared to how much better the 9600 is.

Did you talk to Dell about the memory questions yet?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah-- These ones they said would be great for my system:
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231098
                    They would work well for my system, great price.

Comment

Who told you that? Dell? No way they told you G.Skill or newegg.com
                      Are you saying that they told you DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) would work on your motherboard?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah. They would never tell me to buy other then from their company :P.

Comment

Ok, so you and I just talked on TS and x-fire, and I talked to Dell support (brain dead as they are) and found out the fastest memory your motherboard can support is DDR2 667 (PC2 5300).

So here is a link to the memory you need:
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...07859&name=2GB

Those are all 2 gig kits of that speed memory, and pretty much any one of them will be fine for you. You are probably going to want to take out your old memory and just run these 2 new sticks at first. That is because 2 gigs should be fine for you, and if you put in that much older 1 gig of ram you have in there now, you new faster ram will get downclocked a lot to a slower speed.

As for gfx cards, the EVGA card you linked to looks good, but even better would be one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130328

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130329

Those are clocked faster than the other stock level one, and they are just a tiny bit more expensive, at $149 and $159 after rebates. Rebates are really easy to fill out, and your parents can help you with them if you need it. I got my rebate from EVGA when I got my last gfx card pretty quickly, and they have a website where you can keep up to date.

The thing is, for pretty much the same price in the end or $10 more, you can upgrade to an 8800GT, which would last you a bit longer (being able to play future games at a steady FPS). You will have to talk to your dad though because they cost more when you pay until you get your rebate.

For instance, this card
                          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814143117

You will have to pay $189 for, and then get a $30 rebate to cost $159, or the same price as the lower end card below.

Explain it out to your parents and they might go for it if you guarantee that you will be the one responsible for getting the rebate in on time, or the difference comes out of your pocket.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've decided on my card:
                            Great price, great card!
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130357

Comment

Just so you know that is a stock speed card. The one I linked to above is $20 cheaper, and going to be faster.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X