Read Full Magazines for Free with Firefox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read Full Magazines for Free with Firefox

I debated whether to post this or not, like if it would be worth it, but after just playing with it for the past few hours, I think some other folks would find it pretty useful too.

What it is, a magazine company has made all their current issues each month available in a digital format free for Iphone users. Well someone came up with a bit of a hack to trick their website into thinking your firefox browser was an iphone browser. It is actually very easy to do.

But for this write up if you don't really know much about what you are doing, I suggest you download a portable apps version of firefox.
    http://portableapps.com/apps/interne..._portable/test
    With that, you can install it in its own folder like on your desktop, and if you don't like it or this whole thing, or somehow mess it up, you just delete the folder and it is gone. Don't need to actually install it and mess up your current insulation.
    Plus you get to play around with the new firefox 3 that will be out next month and get to see how much faster and better it is.

Anyway, here is the original article I used:
    http://lifehacker.com/393296/read-fu...hout-an-iphone

Which linked to here:
    http://www.ismashphone.com/2008/05/using-firefox-w.html

Follow the directions on that 2nd link, and you will see how easy it is, just 3 copy and pastes and you are good to go.

Then you go to the site they mention (I think it is www.zinio.com/iphone, though that link will only go to the mags after you do the hack) and you get digital copies of all the magizines.
    This is not for kids to do, because Playboy and Penthouse are included in the list. And yes, I read the articles, as does my wife. :D
    But there are tons more, like popular photography, Esquire, U.S.News, a car mag like MotorTrend I think, and a bunch more. Really good quality once you click on the pages you want. Can even click on an article in the contents.

Let me know if any of you try it and think it was worth posting. I come across stuff like this all the time, and debate on if it is worth typing this all out.

Now get to hacking folks.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Read Full Magazines for Free with Firefox

Wow, very cool. Yes that was definitely worth posting. Here's the condensed version of how to get this to work with Firefox.
    • Install the User Agent Switcher addon.
    • Then under options create a new user agent with this - Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419 (United States) - as the user agent string.
    • Switch to your iPhone profile and visit www.zinio.com/iphone

Comment

I've got a t-shirt with a silhouette of the Playboy rabbit head and large text reading "I read the articles". :D
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        I've got a t-shirt with a silhouette of the Playboy rabbit head and large text reading "I read the articles". :D
        I've had a subscription off and on since I was 16, and I must admit that the only stuff I skip over in Playboy is the ads and the fashion crap. I read just about every article.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I am very grateful to you for this. I actually have 2 Ipod touch's, and it works very well with them ootb. thanks!
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
            I've had a subscription off and on since I was 16, and I must admit that the only stuff I skip over in Playboy is the ads and the fashion crap. I read just about every article.
            The pictorials are actually kind of boring, for the most part. It's a good political issue magazine but there are better sources for pics of cute nekkid girls.

I recall getting my stepwife a sterling silver rabbit head necklace one year for her birthday and it was one of her more treasured possessions.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X