X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual video cards, any good ?

I have an Asus nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 512MB

This card is starting to go out of stock or not be sold anymore

I was thinking about getting another one at the end of this summer when the price is low and run two in dual, I have enough power (700W)

So are dual cards any good ?
    Does it actually double graphics power ?
    Is it a 'bigger bang for the buck' than just buying a newly released card ?

Thanks

Re: Dual video cards, any good ?

It does not double graphic power. The only time it is worth it is if you have oodles of money and want to buy 2 of the top of the line best card.

There may be some peculiar pricing at some point in the future that makes it worth it.

I know some people suggest getting 2X9600gt over a 8800gts.

The newer hybrid dual card set ups seem much more attractive to me. They allow you to mix and match cards, meaning you should be able to match your old card(future old card, not the old card you have now) with a newer generation card. Should be interesting.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
      It does not double graphic power. The only time it is worth it is if you have oodles of money and want to buy 2 of the top of the line best card.
      Actually, it helps a lot if you run at high resolutions greater than 1900x1200. I have two 8800gts's in SLi and I notice a difference at that resolution. Not so much when I drop it down though.
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I still run pretty well on one 8800GT at 1920x1200 though. The 8800GTS is a pretty powerful card so I don't think it's worth going SLI until you hit even higher resolutions and want to stay on cutting edge graphics with new games.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

As a few have mentioned, you won't really see the benefit of dual cards unless you're at the higher resolutions. What size monitor are you running?

If you don't have a large monitor then the question is do you plan on getting a larger monitor down the road? If you do plan on it then you might want to pick up another vid card now while they're available and inexpensive. That will save you from having to buy a newer more powerful card down the road.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

its a bit different for me its about recording
            My monitor goes up to 1440*900 and is a widescreen, I can play at this res comfortably
            for video making I have to drop some settings and go down to 1024*768, it still looks good at this res
            so if I get two cards, do you think I will be able to record at 1440*900 ?

Comment

SLI might not help video recording as much. The bottleneck there might be the harddrive. If you're running at a high resolution, each frame for the video will take more time to write to the drive.

How badly does your FPS drop when recording at 1440x900?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I would hold off on using 2 graphic cards, unless you plan on using two monitors. It is not worth the trade off of money versus performance. You are better off getting one really nice one. As for your power supply, you might be suprised to find out that 700w is not all that with 2 cards. You also have to be careful that the power supply has several 12v rails, if not you will have issues with 2 cards.

As for me, I am running 2X 8800GTXs and in hindsight, would not do that again. It is not worth it......
                "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

BigC, I don't think 2 monitors running affects the gpu that much if any. When I first started running 2 about 3 years ago, I asked around and then did some tests on my own, and didn't see any difference.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

SLI has never been a good deal from an economical standpoint. It should be cheaper (and give you higher performance) to sell the 8800 and pick up a 9800 series card, which should be out by then.

Comment

One word: POINTLESS, Also you will need a more than 700watts if you want to run those simultaneously.

Comment

You have more then enough power if you want to, but sli only helps certain games. If your going for the best bang for the buck wait around till the end of the summer and sell your 8800GT and get a GT200 series.

Comment

Originally posted by Raej View Post
                          You have more then enough power if you want to, but sli only helps certain games. If your going for the best bang for the buck wait around till the end of the summer and sell your 8800GT and get a GT200 series.
                          I thought the 8800GT need ~400 Watts to run full power each?

Anyway, If you REALLY want performance, I suggest gettign water colling system installed and OC ing you GPU and CPU.

Comment

The power requirements are listed for the entire system and the system those readings from usually include the highest end CPU, multiple harddrives, diskdrives, and peripherals.
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Do you really think a video card requires 400 watts of power, a washing machine uses like 500 lol.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X