Should I get 4gigs of ram?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get 4gigs of ram?

Well I'm upgrading my mobo and video card for my birthday and wanted to know If I really need 4 gigs of ram to last me a years worth of gaming. I would like to play Haze, and the new BattleField and any other DX10 games.

Re: Should I get 4gigs of ram?

If you have a 64-bit OS, then yes. If you are on 32-bit, your useful ram will max somewhere between 2¾GB and 3½GB, because a chunk of your RAM address space is tied up by system devices.

I'm stuck in the 2¾ loser bin. >_> I'm considering seeing if Wine can run everything I need and moving to Ubuntu. Or at least dual-booting.

Comment

Yeah I knew about the OS deal, but I was just wondering would I really need 4 gigs or just stick with 3gigs.

Comment

it is worth the few extra $$$ to get 4. you WILL be able to use it later, why not get it while the prices are cheap.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Unless, by the time he uses it, some other motherboard plus memory and CPU is cheaper. This market moves so fast that it doesn't make sense to buy ahead.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

extra ram is always a good investment. Even after DDR3 is the standard, ddr2 will still be in demand, and just like DDR1, prices will go up. the $35 investment today could easily bring double or more next year.

People who don't upgrade constantly will be more likely to squeeze every bit of performance out of their outdated motherboard, which means they will need DDR2 and supply will be way down.

In the mean time, you get to use the ram... YAY!
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Yeah I was thinking about getting 2gigs of DDR3 but the motherboards for DD3 are the high dollar. I don't have a job so I only rely on what my mother gets me for my bday =)

Comment

dont forget its not just the capacity (size) of the ram but also the speed, for example, swapping 1gb of pc5300 for 4gb of pc2100 will expand the range of software you can run and increase the number of programs you can run simoultaneously but it will also effectively slow your system down.
                Pax Romana

Rufus

Comment

I bought 2 gigs to mitigate any future price increase. I got mine for $25 and recently have seen 2X1 gigs for $10. So my hope is that while I may have spent 20 dollars more than I had to I may have saved myself money when the time comes that I really need that extra RAM.

Whatever happens $25 isn't that big of a loss, so I thought it was a good idea.
                  |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by RUFU5_MAXIMU5 View Post
                    dont forget its not just the capacity (size) of the ram but also the speed, for example, swapping 1gb of pc5300 for 4gb of pc2100 will expand the range of software you can run and increase the number of programs you can run simoultaneously but it will also effectively slow your system down.
                    those speeds do not live on the same standard.

DDR = pc2100
                    DDR2 = pc5300

the hit from slightly slower (4200 instead of 5300) is negligible compared to the benefit of double the amount. you will still see a faster computer with 4gigs of 4200 over 2gigs of 5300.

but in essence, yes faster ram = faster computer - kinda.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X