Ideas on a "lost" folder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas on a "lost" folder?

OK: I've got a hard disk that used to have 2 partitions on it: I joined them together with PartitionMagic (and then had to do the registry edit to get that wmnt2002 error to fly away, oops!) I haven't been able to view the folder's contents since- The folder is there, and is showing the correct size, but I can't access it- it just shows as if a 60G folder is empty... Are there any ideas as to how to access that data again?

This drive used to be a Win XP Home (32b) system, and now lives in a XP Pro64 system, but I can't tell if that's a problem. It does not seem to be. I have done the permissions/ownership thing to death, and everything seems to be pointed correctly, but obviously, something isn't right.

I am close to abandoning hope (and really, I don't think there's much on there that isn't backed up someplace else, so it's not a huge issue) but I'd like to give it another shot, if anyone might know something tricky...
    OPS, the bacon is on you.

Re: Ideas on a "lost" folder?

Google up some file recovery tools and cross your fingers.

Comment

I have used easyrecoverypro in the past with very good results most UBCD's include a version
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

PC inspector ?

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by khaerus View Post
          OK: I've got a hard disk that used to have 2 partitions on it: I joined them together with PartitionMagic (and then had to do the registry edit to get that wmnt2002 error to fly away, oops!) I haven't been able to view the folder's contents since- The folder is there, and is showing the correct size, but I can't access it- it just shows as if a 60G folder is empty... Are there any ideas as to how to access that data again?

This drive used to be a Win XP Home (32b) system, and now lives in a XP Pro64 system, but I can't tell if that's a problem. It does not seem to be. I have done the permissions/ownership thing to death, and everything seems to be pointed correctly, but obviously, something isn't right.

I am close to abandoning hope (and really, I don't think there's much on there that isn't backed up someplace else, so it's not a huge issue) but I'd like to give it another shot, if anyone might know something tricky...
          I am guessing that it might be a security issue. The hard drive has to recognize you as the administrator. Try right clicking on the partition and I think one of the options will be security or sharing or something like that...make sure your user name is listed as an admin so you can access it. If not, try http://www.z-a-recovery.com/. The free version lets you search for pictures for free and also save up to 4 folders of info every search...best one I have tried...

Comment

Have you looked at the folder with the command line? That can give you more details than a folder view when things go wrong.

If I couldn't figure it out in Windows, I'd load it into my Linux box and mount it with the ntfs-3g filesystem.

As I like to say, Windows is great for when things are working right. But when things are broken, I find it much easier to figure out what's wrong in Linux.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X