Server Specs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Specs?

I was curious as to what the hardware/software and WAN specs of the POE2 server are? I am buying a server from dell and I want to make sure what Im buying will be able to handle a full 64 player server for hosting a LAN party here in town. :D

Re: Server Specs?

OoOO well first, does wolf use dedicated? Or do they run mulitple games per server? specs change quite a bit.

If your running a lan, then bandwidth on a wan are not really important as you'll get your moneys worth on Local.

the one below on a server site, seems to go with about what I'd expect from my past experience though i never tried to host a game that large, I've ran with quite a bit less hardware for a 40 man server before
    "One of our most popular machines, the Dedicated Ultra is pitched just right for the medium-sized clan who are looking for a mid to high-end specification. Coming with 64 voice comms slots, a minimum of 120GB HD space and 2GB of RAM this dual-core beast is definitely one of our..."

IMO
    dual 2.6ghz 2gb ram, sata hd with the best random seak time you can find(this part is oppinion) I believe that a better seeking drive, overpowers high thru-put drives with lower seek times.

below is from above....
    Estimates Of Server Capacity †:
    2 x 40-player Battlefield 2142 servers or
    2 x 64-player Battlefield 2 or
    4 x 32-player Battlefield 2 or
    Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
    America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
    Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

that sounds about right, it will be for a LAN game, but the only reason I asked about WAN is beacause my old co-worker from Miami and his brother in Tampa, FL would definetly want to be in on it. Server specs are going to be Dell PE SC1435 with 2 quad core opteron 2.0GHz chips and 4 gigs of ram for now. Drives are 2 80GB SATA 2. I know that sounds like alot, but from what it seems like to me, BF2 will only see and therefore utilize one cpu or one cpu core. But in the mean time I could put a nice dent in TG's folding project! :D

Comment

Originally posted by MrShawn305 View Post
        that sounds about right, it will be for a LAN game, but the only reason I asked about WAN is beacause my old co-worker from Miami and his brother in Tampa, FL would definetly want to be in on it. Server specs are going to be Dell PE SC1435 with 2 quad core opteron 2.0GHz chips and 4 gigs of ram for now. Drives are 2 80GB SATA 2. I know that sounds like alot, but from what it seems like to me, BF2 will only see and therefore utilize one cpu or one cpu core. But in the mean time I could put a nice dent in TG's folding project! :D
        That set up could run approximately 5 servers :P lol hell you could virtual machine it, 1 per processor (your need more ram though) and then only one server could ever crash at 1 time. lol

Yeah just put the unused processors all infinity on folding lol. 4gigs i'd say forego the swap file. Less read writes to hd, better throughput :P Works on gaming/vent server comp run great and i'm only 2 gigs of ram.

The a wan connection with an upspeed of at least 50kbps will suffice for your out of towner, though...set your inbound router up for port fowarding to the server for inbound connection from your buddy.
        Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
        Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

That will work! We use virtual iron at work for our VM's and ive seriously been considering doing that, but like you said, need more RAM. Hell, Kingston DDR2 667 ECC is only $75 a gig right now on newegg!! So ill upgrade to at least 4 more. I can get up to 32 in it but then were talking well over $1K just in ram. I figure 2 gigs per core would be a good balance between cost and performance and it will come out to about $900. The guy we get net from at work is selling us 2 T1 lines for $300 a month!!! 8O And the service is great. BTW who founded TG? Its by far the best gaming server I have been on PERIOD. Keep up the good work ladies and gents!

BTW is the TG server windows or linux? If linux what distro?

Comment

i gave good advice? (Shock) lol :P good luck with the project :)
            Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
            Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

The PoE2 server is running on a quad-core box right now, with the FFoW server, I believe. It's a Windows server.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

sweeeeet! The only thing I am worried about with the VM is the overhead from all the OS's running... Ill just have to test it out and see. Ill install it in one of the racks at work and mess around with it. Thanks for all your help guys! One more thing...you guys wouldnt happen to know how many games you are running on the one server do you?

Comment

The guy we get net from at work is selling us 2 T1 lines for $300 a month!!! 8O And the service is great.
                  What's a good way to go shopping for bandwidth like that?

I'm currently getting 1100 down and 384 up ADSL for my company through Speakeasy for I think about $125/month, and that was tough because we're so far from the CO. (My boss is a good negotiator and twisted some arms to get them to wire to some closer nexus point.)

I'd love to double that, and get faster upstream to make it easier to push large files to our partners. (We provide passworded "web folders" over HTTPS for that.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

We got ours through McLeod USA but they got bought out by Paetec so I dont know what new service is going to go for. I honestly dont know how they search for it, this was implemented before I started working here. I know thats definetly a steal for 2 T1 lines!

Comment

My bad, I just checked the invoice and we're paying $75/month for the ADSL. And that includes static addresses and Speakeasy's server-friendly ToS. (I'd love to get FIOS via Speakeasy.)

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Thats a decent price for that speed with static IP. How many IP's did they include?

Comment

Thats a decent price for that speed with static IP. How many IP's did they include?
                          http://speakeasy.net/business/adsl/

That says you get 8. We're using 2.

Comment

Nice, look at ADSL2, 15 down and 1 up for 149.95 a month. Not bad

Comment

businesses get ripped off so bad..i get 15MB down and 1.5MB up at the house, plus all HD channels, an HD PVR, and every single movie channel charter has for $128/month including taxes..i wish we could get 1/2 as good here at work..our DSL is garbage and they get raked over the coals for over $100/month...!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X