Vista is driving me insane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista is driving me insane

I had WAY too many problem trying to make 64-bit Vista work..so I went to 32-it Ultimate...everything seems fine, i get the drivers loaded, etc..but when i go to download something, for example Firefox, or even the google toolbar..i get it downloaded, clikc to install, but after a few seconds, a window comes up and says "So-and-so Program has stopped working"..

now this happens on virtually everything..on CoD4, the game installed, but when you click on multi-player, the same thing happens..when you click on the single-player, it works fine..

I cannot get winrar to install either, as well as gadgets for the sidebar..i try to install, and it "quits running"..i download and try to "run as administrator" and it says "not a valid gadget package"..and these were downloaded from Microshaft..!

Anyone got anything here for me? I am really frustrated, and really PO'ed at this whole scenario..

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks..!

Birdie :)

and yes, UAC is off, Windows Defender is off, Updates is off, even mamaged to find the spot where this DEP mess is, but there is nothing to really turn off there..

Re: Vista is driving me insane

Have you run windows update and made sure everything is current? The original vista install had some compatability issues. Updates quickly fixed those.

Comment

yep..it is as updated as it can get..I just cannot fathom why it will not let something run and most others not run..

I HATE MICROSHAFT..!!!

Comment

Ubuntu?

Comment

This machine was built to replace my current gaming rig..so I am screwed unless CoD4 will run on Ubuntu..but thanks brutha man..:)

Comment

What were your 64 bit problems? I'm betting that they're carrying over into 32 bit, and there was nothing intrinsically wrong with 64. (I figure my next rig will be Vista 64 Ultimate, since my current rig is XP 64 Pro.)

MS software is great when it works right. It sucks if anything goes wrong, because debugging it is a nightmare. Linux is the exact opposite. Sucks to learn it (for most "normal" users) but it's great for debugging when something breaks, because everything is exposed and there's lots of diagnostic data available to analyze (including the source code, should you need to add additional instrumentation).
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Thats strange Birdie. I know you don't want to hear it but I would suggest a re-install. Be sure to install with only one stick of ram in to start as that is a known problem. Second is this an upgrade Vista or an OEM version?

I have installed Vista 64 on a friends machine and had some issues but nothing like what your describing. I have vista 32 on my laptop and again the odd issue but nothing major. The vista 64 is a gaming rig as well and runs COD4 fine along with other games. The biggest pain in the but is the "runa as an administrator" crap (I'm logged on as the F#CKING Admin you MS idiots!! :row__523:)

Comment

I don't mind running as a mortal and using "run as admin" for the occasional software installation, but once I've escalated my rights to install something, don't keep pestering me with "are you sure?" messages.

And if I try to install something as a mortal, let me install it to my user space (ie. not in an area common to all other users) instead of forcing me to escalate my privileges. (But that's an application issue, partly coupled with Windows installer APIs.)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

64-BIT..it would not boot but maybe 1 out of 20 times..if you installed something that needed a "restart", it would never restart..would have to go back to "last known good" or "repair" from DVD..re-installed and started over with freshly reformatted raid at least 12 times..

32-bit...it booted fine, installed fine, let me install drivers fine, but would not let me download somethings, but other things were fine, would not let me install certain programs, like firefox, or the google toolbar, strange things happened in COD4..would start and run the single-player fine, but the Multi-player would "Stop Working".. I re-installed maybe 5 or 6 times...

but I am done with Vista for now..these were OEM disks that worked fine every time i needed them..have now gone back to good ol' XP Pro and will finish getting it "up to sped" tonite...

once i get this machine "going" I will continue to hash out my problems with the other versions on other machines..maybe eventually I will become familiar enough to know what to change to get it going right..

Comment

I've never had ANY problems with vista. : /
                    That sucks birdie.
                    Rollin' on Dubs...

Comment

just my luck brutha man...it seems to be holding strong as ever.. :(

Comment

i must have had good luck with vista and x64 because the extent of my problems are now solved, and they were minor problems with easy workarounds to begin with... couldnt watch streaming content with firefox... and couldnt run ArmA with more than 4gb installed... simple msconfig option change (now fixed with new patch) is all of your hardware 100% vista compatible? that is my only thought