Vista + IE7 + WM11 + ASF = WTH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista + IE7 + WM11 + ASF = WTH

ok, so Microsoft Windows Vista plus Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 plus Microsoft Windows Media Player 11 plus Microsoft's ASF video format fails to play.

I use firefox and no one has ever complained until now, but when I started looking into it, every vista box I came to could not play an ASF file through IE. If the file is local, it plays just fine, and it even plays embedded inside FF2.

what am I missing here? This is not something I can just dismiss, as 70-80% of the traffic to the sites in question use IE, and 30-40% - and rising - are using Vista. This is about to be a very big problem for me.

I would just switch to another format, but comparing swf, QT, real, mp4, avi, et al, the quality does not compare. for a 10 minute asf file, the file size is under 10 megs and the quality is decent. (320x240 25fps, 100kbps, 64k mono audio, 100% quality) these setting are meager I know, but .asf just wipes the freakin floor with EVERYTHING else.

the same thing in swf is 8 times as big and horrible quality. nothing comes close. to get the size even close, the output is unwatchable, and to get the video close, the filesize is outrageous.

I need a solution, or a reason, or an alternative.

the biggest thing is that I have to fix the problem on the server end. I cannot expect the planet to do some hack in IE or convert to FF (i wish) or even DL the file first. I upload 4 or more videos A WEEK and need an answer. Please help.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Re: Vista + IE7 + WM11 + ASF = WTH

hell..i can't even get firefox installed..! so you are way ahead of me..

Comment

It looks like that *.asf file types should still be supported

If you download an ASF to a Vista / Windows Media Player 11 machine will it play if manually loaded?

The only thing I can think of is you might have to configure the mime-type on the server if its not already a default.

Configuring Mime Types IIS6

Configuring Apache (With .htaccess)

Other than that I would suggest a Flash player playing videos encoded by Flash 8 codec (On2 VP6). Converting the entire system could be lots of work.

Good Luck.

Comment

yeah, it plays on the computer.

sorry, I should have included that. mime types are right... even checked against msdn site.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

After consulting my friend Google,

It looks like there are additional ActiveX restrictions when running Vista + IE7 through "Protect Mode"

http://xyzzy-links.blogspot.com/2007...-of-vista.html
          http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...rotected-mode/

I'd look into the security settings on these machines, more specifically items tied to ActiveX. Could play around with Protect Mode, Internet Security Level settings, as well as adding the domain(s) to the Trusted sites.

Wish I could be more help, but I don't have a Vista machine at the moment

Comment

well....

I was really hoping that this was the answer, but UAC is off on my computer already, and according to IE, protected mode is already off...

Comment

Wierd. Sounds like some stupid quirk. You running all the latest versions?

Comment

it is every computer I try it on... it seems to be a problem w/ IE, but I cannot fix it on every computer. I was hoping for a way to code the webpage around the bug. I am pretty much at a wall on this one.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X