Check this build for me...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this build for me...

Open to any and all suggestions. I'd prefer to purchase everything from www.NewEgg.com , but if you know of someplace trustworthy that has significant savings, I'm willing to split my order... My goal here is to get the most bang for my buck. I've bought the cutting edge stuff and three months later, I've always been disappointed in the amount of money I wasted on having the "best". I'd rather have the "2nd best" from a brand name that I know will last for years...

That said, this is what I have lined up because my computer keeps crashing and it's a good excuse for an upgrade:

WD 80G 7200 SATA $66

Muskin 2x512M PC3200 $140

ASUS A8V Deluxe w/ VIA K8T800pro $130

AMD Athlon64 3200+ Socket 939 RETAIL $215 OEM is $196. Is there a better HS/F for $15? (or is the retail HS/F not adequate?)

Sapphire Radeon 9800 "Atlantis" 256M $203 Never heard of this brand, nor of the "Atlantis" model. Anyone know anything about 'em?

Total is $769 w/ shipping. This upgrade should keep me plugging along for another 4 years without upgrading. Now I just have to come up with the money. I have a feeling it's gonna have to wait until after the holidays, but I thought I ought to start looking now... I almost destroyed my headphones by throwing 'em at the wall tonight during JointOps after the 4th time my 'puter locked up, so maybe I can convince the wife that this is an emergency...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Check this build for me...

I can speak to the Sapphire brand, at least. So far, I've yet to encounter problems with their Radeon 9000 I'm running. Nothing's even hiccupped at it.

And as to the RAM... I just got a stick of 512 Rosewill 3200 from newegg for $67, so you might be able to eke a LITTLE more out of that.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
      I can speak to the Sapphire brand, at least. So far, I've yet to encounter problems with their Radeon 9000 I'm running. Nothing's even hiccupped at it.
      Cool, that reassures me a bit!
      And as to the RAM... I just got a stick of 512 Rosewill 3200 from newegg for $67, so you might be able to eke a LITTLE more out of that.
      Yeah, I figure $3 extra is worth the lifetime warranty and a good name brand...
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

If you can wait until the new boards come out you can future proof yourself by getting a PCI-E board.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          I prefer maxtors now, they even have ones with NCQ which will speed up access once motherboards support it (intel only right now). WD are ok though i guess.

Crucial or Corsair for me..... Crucial currently have the lead with there ballistix PC3200 and PC4000. PC3200 will be fine.

Great choice ;)

AMD Athlon64 3200+ Socket 939 RETAIL $215 OEM is $196. Is there a better HS/F for $15? (or is the retail HS/F not adequate?)
          Again, great choice. I brought OEM but ive since found out that the OEM's are quiet old stock and dont overclock as well.... Retail heatsink is fine.

Sapphire Radeon 9800 "Atlantis" 256M $203 Never heard of this brand, nor of the "Atlantis" model. Anyone know anything about 'em?
          NO NO NO, this is a 9800, with 128bit memory bus, it is a BAD BAD BAD card. ok? BAD! lol... anyway.... What about a 6800 standard card? Much better bang per $$$ there.

Total is $769 w/ shipping. This upgrade should keep me plugging along for another 4 years without upgrading. Now I just have to come up with the money. I have a feeling it's gonna have to wait until after the holidays, but I thought I ought to start looking now... I almost destroyed my headphones by throwing 'em at the wall tonight during JointOps after the 4th time my 'puter locked up, so maybe I can convince the wife that this is an emergency...
          what about case and PSU?
          From Adam Webb

Comment

Yeah, the Sapphire's are 128bit, but the true ATI cards are 256bit. I got my 9800pro ATI with 128 megs for $200 several months ago at newegg, FYI.

Comment

it has nothing to do with the manufacturer... its because its not the pro or xt models......

proof:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-268&depa=1

but since they arent carrying this one... go for this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-247&depa=1
              or this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-289&depa=1

saffire and powercolor make the fastest ati cards on every model.......
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

its really pissing me off that X800XT and 6800ultras STILL havnt made it across to the UK in numbers bigger than 100......
                From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                  I prefer maxtors now, they even have ones with NCQ which will speed up access once motherboards support it (intel only right now). WD are ok though i guess.
                  Picked WD for warranty and faster avg. seek time. They're about the same price, though...
                  Crucial or Corsair for me..... Crucial currently have the lead with there ballistix PC3200 and PC4000. PC3200 will be fine.
                  I'm not going to overclock. At all. Ever. Any reason for me to get anything more expensive than the Mushkin?
                  NO NO NO, this is a 9800, with 128bit memory bus, it is a BAD BAD BAD card. ok? BAD! lol... anyway.... What about a 6800 standard card? Much better bang per $$$ there.
                  So a card with 256M running 128bit performs worse than a card with 128M running 256bit? OK. Maybe I'll look at a cheaper card, as well... This one just looked like a decent price. I figure I want to spend under $200 for the vid card...

what about case and PSU?
                  Gonna keep my old ones... I actually burned out a PSU about a year ago and upgraded to a 400W Antec, so that should work, right?
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

What about a 6800 standard card? Much better bang per $$$ there.
                    Like this: SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "100562L" -Retail $113 ?

I'm running a GF3 Ti500 128M right now, so I don't want to go much cheaper. I want a significant increase in performance. I'd like to be able to turn on some of the visual goodies in HL2!

If this sounds like a good compromise for the vid card, let me know, as I'm going to actually order it right away and get the rest later...
                    Last edited by CingularDuality; 11-12-2004, 11:32 PM.
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I am looking at upgrading too (have been for a few months) but I'm not very sure about picking compatable parts so I looked at overclockers.co.uk's bundles and saw this:
                      AMD Athlon 64 3500 Retail / Abit AV8 3rd Eye / 512MB Corsair PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit - Bundle (BU-032-OK)
                      http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...4_Bundles.html

Is there any point in getting this 3rd Eye motherboard rather than the standard AV8 or the Asus AV8 that Cing is looking at?
                      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

I'm not sure about the legalities of getting around your taxes and such, but if any of you Brits would be better off if I shipped you anything from over here, I'd be glad to help you out. I know Overlag is constantly complaining about the higher prices and lack of stock over there...
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Like this: SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "100562L" -Retail $113 ?

I'm running a GF3 Ti500 128M right now, so I don't want to go much cheaper. I want a significant increase in performance. I'd like to be able to turn on some of the visual goodies in HL2!

If this sounds like a good compromise for the vid card, let me know, as I'm going to actually order it right away and get the rest later...
                          no

i mean a nvidia 6800 Standard....ATI have nothing to compeat with that...
                          From Adam Webb

Comment

I'm not sure about the legalities of getting around your taxes and such, but if any of you Brits would be better off if I shipped you anything from over here, I'd be glad to help you out. I know Overlag is constantly complaining about the higher prices and lack of stock over there...
                            hell yeah, theres NO 6800ultras or X800XTPE over here, and because of that most shops charge over $800 for them......sigh..

CPU/MB/Mem is ok really though.

anything sent from the US will get a 17.5% VAT tax added, then 4% inport tax so it ends up almost the same (apart from these stupid gfx card prices)
                            From Adam Webb

Comment

anything sent from the US will get a 17.5% VAT tax added, then 4% inport tax so it ends up almost the same (apart from these stupid gfx card prices)
                              Are personal packages opened up and inspected so the taxes can be levied? Do you have to pay tax on gifts from out of the country?
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X