Macrium Reflect Free: Create a disk image without rebooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macrium Reflect Free: Create a disk image without rebooting

How many times have we all had problems with our computers, or tried to help people out after a system crash here in the forums.
    I have really been meaning to get started using a program like this that gives you an image of your drive, so if you crash and burn, you just reload the image and you are back in order (at least up to the point you made the image.)

This one is free, as is the really good one mentioned in the article's comments, but notice that that one is only updated to XP, not vista.

Everyone should try and have a back up image on hand, and if this one is as fast as it says, might be very little hassle to do even once a month or so.

Check it out:

Macrium Reflect Free: Create a disk image without rebooting

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Macrium Reflect Free: Create a disk image without rebooting

I don't know, but the Macrium website indicates the free version works with Vista:

http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

I'll have to give this a spin

Comment

sweet..! I know what I am doing when I get home this evening!

Thanks Bamboo.. :)

Comment

this is a big deal for most of us. I had given up on looking for imaging programs for vista basic and HP. this is an awesome find for ppl like me who deal with hundreds of computers on multiple OS'es and hardware.

thanks bamboo... will update after I put it through its paces.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by JAMerica View Post
          I don't know, but the Macrium website indicates the free version works with Vista:

http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp

I'll have to give this a spin
          Sorry, I was talking about the program they talk about in the comments, DriveImage XML, not working on Vista, though it is supposed to be a good program for XP. Yes, as the article says, Macrium Reflect is Vista and Vista64 ready.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
            who deal with hundreds of computers on multiple OS'es and hardware.

All I can think of is....YUCK..!:icon_eek:

Comment

yeah well......

I get crap for pay for it, so there are benefits.....

anyway, I dunno who this might help, but I just imaged my entire main hdd (80gigs worth) in 53 minutes and a 34gig backup file. I tried it on a Dell 1720 laptop with original partition structure in tact.

I have not tried to restore it yet, but I want to get this image restored to a larger drive, and I will be very convinced of its capabilities.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Way cool man..... I was using paragon exact image but I was having difficulty reading the information sometimes. The thing I liked about exact image was the ability to go in a view/transfer individual files and not just have to perform a complete restore. I used nero recently but I've heard it has some problems restoring. I'll give this one a try.
                "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
                "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

I need a free magical imaging software that's bootable. This, at least looks like it, needs to be in a live Winstall. Good find, though.

Comment

Omg man thank you for this! I'm gonna check this out right away

Comment

Well will wonders never cease.
                      Check out this just posted article
                      Free Today Only: Macrium Reflect Full Edition Normally $40

You have about 12 hours from this posting left to grab it if you want it.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

awesome..!! got it loaded on every single machine in the house!

Comment

The article was just published with a good tutorial on how to use the program, just in case anyone is still a little confused on how to do it.

How To Create Full Windows Backup by Imaging Without Using Norton Ghost

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Ok so i have a bit of a question. I just purchased a second HD (a WD SE16 640GB) and would like to move the contents of my current drive over to the newer faster drive, is there a way to make the new drive the main with all my stuff so I can use the second drive for what ever i like (linux mainly) without reinstalling Vista and all my other stuff, even though that might not be a bad idea if I had the time.

any thoughts, would a program like this be good for my task or do I need to something else.
                            Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

reaper - yes... this would be perfect to transfer your current OS to a new drive.

Also, as I stated in another thread, I just finished a repair and it went pretty flawlessly.

The first reboot hung at the scrolling bar forever. I hard rebooted and it started right up.

I had 77gigs worth of backup compressed into a 33gig image file. I created a restore cd (that booted in 30 seconds - VERY impressive) it saw the USB 750gig HDD that the image was on, and I had it check the image, restore, then verify the restore. The whole process took 3 hours, but I believe if I had just restored the HDD it would have been 45 minutes. Not bad for a 77gig transfer from a 50% compressed image.

Also, when this was a free install, it just gave a keycode. (I uninstalled and reinstalled after the trial was over just using the code it gave - and it worked.) So there is another question answered as well...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X