4 gb of ram = 2.93 gb ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 gb of ram = 2.93 gb ?

Basically I just installed another 2gb of ram into my computer bringing my total up to 4gb (all the same type and make) however now windows systems properties say that I only have 2.93 gb, rather queer so I checked my bios and they claim that I have 3008 mb so 3.8 gb yes ?

Was wondering if anyone can help me understand this problem, am I really only getting around 3 gb of ram out of my 4 gb ?

Further information that may be useful, I dunno what to surgest.

Motherboard = ASUS P5B Deluxe
    Graphics = NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    OS = XP home edition 2002 servicew pack 2, 32bit

Any one have any ideas what is causing this?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

Re: 4 gb of ram = 2.93 gb ?

I believe theres an upper limit to ram under op XP 32 bit

Comment

You are on a 32 bit system and it can't address more than about 3.3 gigs or so, and maybe less depending on other factors.
      That is why a lot of us started using Vista 64, so we can use all the memory we could afford to buy.
      If you upgrade to Service Pack 3, it will show that you have 4 gigs installed, but it is just to help stop confusing people. You will still only be able to use the 2.93 it says you have now.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The addressing includes Video card memory (my understanding of it) There is a 64bit version of xp

Just curious do you have the ~768mb version of ur 8800? or 512?
        Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
        America's Army- -=No.Ob=-McLovin
        Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

I have the BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 version, so I am i not getting anything out of these 2 extra gb of ram then ? because i knew i wouldn't be able to get 4gb but I thought it would give me say 3.5 gb of ram, or so I was informed.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by † Disciple † View Post
            I have the BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 version, so I am i not getting anything out of these 2 extra gb of ram then ? because i knew i wouldn't be able to get 4gb but I thought it would give me say 3.5 gb of ram, or so I was informed.
            XP home or Profesional?

Also it would appear if you take 3.5g minus the 640 you have on video card, you end up at 2.9 so seems about right? If the limitations as i understand them hold true.
            Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
            Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

I have XP 4 1 gig sticks and a 512mb Video card.. and my RAM is showing as 3.25GB

Comment

OHHH and does your board have onboard video still enabled? You may be loosing a portion of your memory to shared memory of the onboard video.
                Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

WinXP 32-bit can address 4GB of memory, which includes RAM, video card and some other things like the paging file.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                    WinXP 32-bit can address 4GB of memory, which includes RAM, video card and some other things like the paging file.
                    turn off ur paging file completely, I dont use one at all with 2gb and seems to run fine so i bet you'll have no issue doing it with 4.

thanks sarc forgot about paging file.
                    Bf2142-TOOmuchMcLovin
                    Bf2-TOOmuchSEX

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                      You are on a 32 bit system and it can't address more than about 3.3 gigs or so, and maybe less depending on other factors.
                      That is why a lot of us started using Vista 64, so we can use all the memory we could afford to buy.
                      If you upgrade to Service Pack 3, it will show that you have 4 gigs installed, but it is just to help stop confusing people. You will still only be able to use the 2.93 it says you have now.
                      I just switched to service pack 3 and I still have it registering 3008 mb in bios and 2.93 gb in windows.

Originally posted by TOOmuchMcLovin View Post
                      XP home or Profesional?

Also it would appear if you take 3.5g minus the 640 you have on video card, you end up at 2.9 so seems about right? If the limitations as i understand them hold true.

I am using XP home service pack three, and how would I check about my on board video and paging file ?

Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't think the Asus P5B has onboard video so you don't have to worry about that.

For paging file instructions: http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm

If the BIOS is showing 3GB, one of the sticks of RAM may be bad. Try each stick by itself starting with the new ones you installed. Check that you can boot with each stick by itself.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Well I tried the new sticks seperatly and they both seem to be working, however when run one at a time with my 2 gb of original ram they both surgest that I only have 3008 mb of system memory in the bois and only 2.93 gb of ram in windows so I dunno why with all 4 they give exactly the same results.

Winston Churchill

Comment

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archiv...m-problem.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988
                            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Thank you for that scratch monkey, however that still doesn't explain why i only get 3008 mb in my bois when I have 4 working sticks of ram all with 1 gb. I understand now that I won't get all 4gb working unless i upgrade operating but still my bios seems to think one is missing.

Winston Churchill

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X