Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• friend's pc

hey all,

My friend is building a PC. Its his first PC therefore he doesnt want to spend no more then 800 bucks on it. He will be doing some gaming, but not a lot. Any suggestions on what he should get?

Re: friend's pc

Originally posted by _Ender_
    hey all,

My friend is building a PC. Its his first PC therefore he doesnt want to spend no more then 800 bucks on it. He will be doing some gaming, but not a lot. Any suggestions on what he should get?
    Does he need a keyboard/mouse/moniter/case/OS? Or is he upgrading an existing computer? I can't tell if "it's his first PC" means the first time building his own, or the first PC he'll own...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

He has nothing. I thought "its his first PC" would of given it away :P

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
        He has nothing. I thought "its his first PC" would of given it away :P
        Dude, it's 2004... I was really hoping you were talking about the first one he's ever built...
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Just look at pre-built PCs with a minimum of bundled stuff (definately not a digital camera, web cam etc) and pick one with a semi-decent graphics card (not onboard) and not a sempron or celeron chip and don't pay for extended tech support/ insurance/ 'free' credit etc. If its a first PC I imagine he will just want it to be guaranteed to work out of the box with a minimum of fuss.
          Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

a sempron 2800 performs only slightly worse than the same athlon..... if you get the 754 version, then upgrades to full 64 bit are posible later.... I would definately look into 64 bit capability, even if it would be a future upgrade. no use dropping the money now only to do it again in a year.... just get a 754 sempron and then he can upgrade to a 3700+ later.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm
              Someone has to do it, it might as well be me.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                Just look at pre-built PCs
                Yeah, for a first PC, this is probably the way to go.

Or have you build it for him, but that would depend on how good of a friend he is. When the video card explodes 3 days after you build it, that would put a bit of a strain on the friendship...
                Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

www.dell.com

I haven't bought brand name in 8 years, but if I did have to: it would be a Dell.

Comment

This is a loaded question. Far too little to go on, so here's some questions to ask:

Does he care if it's pre-built? Does he want to build it himself?
                    What games does he plan on playing? What performance does he expect to play at?
                    What else does he intend to do?( Encode video/audio? Office work? )

If it's just a computer, I'd go the pre-built route(probably from Dell). If it's slightly more than that, look at cheap stuff through newegg from companies YOU trust. I say you because you'll be the one he comes asking for help from when something goes wrong, and you might as well be comfortable with the components you recommend. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X