Need experienced gamer input

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need experienced gamer input

I'd like to buy a gaming PC and I'm currently looking at these 2 specs- which, if you had the choice would you get

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9450 Processor (2.66GHz ,12MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz)
    Coolermaster Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU
    8GB DDR2 800MHz Memory (4 x 2GB)
    1000GB Hard Drive - SATA 2 with 32MB buffer
    512MB nVIDIA 9800GTX Graphics-DX10
    24" Widescreen LCD TFT Digital Display with internal speakers (DVI, 8ms)
    Blu-ray ROM Player / Dual Layer DVD Writer
    £1200 - $2,348.83

OR

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit
    CoolerMaster Centurion 590 Black Case
    4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
    Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
    ATI Radeon HD 3870X2 PCI-E x16 1GB Video Card
    SM245B 24" Wide 5ms TFT LCD Display Monitor
    DUAL FORMAT 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
    £1163 - $2,276.40

Both would have onboard sound as I'd only use with headphones (my MAC taking care of video/music etc)

Or if you know of a better spec at around these prices please feel free to put forward your personal choices

any advice would be appreciated

ta
    Capt.Magenta: "I have Captain Scarlet on the Interspace Radio Link, sir!"

Thank you, Captain Magenta. Your medal is in the post. Yes, it’s a chocolate one, just as you like it…

Re: Need experienced gamer input

Do you have links? Or are you building yourself?

And why is there such a range listed for the prices?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Its not a range. Its the conversion of Pounds to USD so us Americans can understand.

Comment

One question I would ask you is whether you are building/buying this rig to play today's games or tomorrow's. The E8400 seems to be the sweet spot in todays gaming but as COD4 has shown us, more and more games are going to be written with multiple cores in mind.
        From all the things I have read about SLI/Crossfire and multi GPU, single card solutions (the X2 cards from both ATI and Nvidia) is that right now there seem to have their fair share of problems. Whether it be driver computability or motherboard computability, i get the sense that they are way too much hassle. That being said, if you are planning on gaming at extreme resolutions, 1900 x 1200 and above, than the few problems might be worth it. I still think that single GPU solutions are the better choice right now and the 9800GTX is a strong candidate.
        You didnt mention the MOBO for either build so ill just throw this out in general. The Nvidia 7xx series mobos have massive, well documented problems with video playback. I have also read that the Asus Striker IIs suffer some similar problems. 2 BIOS "fixes" from NVidia have not seemed to solve the problem but since you stated that you have a Mac for audio and video this might not be a problem for you.

One final note, if you can afford to wait until the end of the summer to build your rig, you will probably be much better off. Right now the market is still being shaken up by the release of so many new products that if you wait, you will most likely save some money and be much better informed.

Comment

I think you'll have problems running the top system with a generic 550 Watt PSU. The bottom system doesn't even have a PSU listed.
          sigpic

Comment

I choose the first option

Nvidia and Blu Ray ftw

Edit: You are referring to the 9800 gx2 right?
            Last edited by Steamers; 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

I'd actually take the 3870. DirectX 10.1 support and it outperforms the 9800 GTX by quite a bit. It isn't as fast as the GX2 but it uses less power.

Originally posted by Steamers View Post
              I choose the first option

Nvidia and Blu Ray ftw

Edit: You are referring to the 9800 gt2 right?
              sigpic

Comment

His first selection would be grand if that was a gx2
                @Buckets sorry bout that mate I mispelled gx2 with gt2

Comment

Cheers guys - you've given me a bit to think about -
                  I'm playing a few games on my MAC at present but will have to buy a PC to play the most recent games
                  Capt.Magenta: "I have Captain Scarlet on the Interspace Radio Link, sir!"

Thank you, Captain Magenta. Your medal is in the post. Yes, it’s a chocolate one, just as you like it…

Comment

It actually also depends on which games you'll be playing, but both options will let you play current and future games with no problems!

Comment

or you can build an SLI system for around 1400, sans monitor ;)

my current list includes 2 Zotac OC'd 8800GTs, EVGA 750i FTW motherboard, the E8400 CPU, 2 x Western Digital 640gig drives, 4 gigs of Mushkin High Performance RAM, 750W Zalman modular PSU, Samsung 20x SATA DVD Burner, Tuniq 120 CPU Cooler and a nice NZXT Tempest case to put it all in.

With shipping it comes to just over $1400.

Comment

Originally posted by xrisonfire08 View Post
                        Its not a range. Its the conversion of Pounds to USD so us Americans can understand.
                        Ouch :( Can't believe I miss that. Thanks.

Please don't waste your money on a blue-ray drive if you can help it. So not worth it right now. If you are that hard core wanting to watch Blue-Ray movies, for the same price as a blue-ray drive for your computer you could get a playstation 3 and have all the extra features that that would offer.

And as for the 3870 vs 9800GTX, the 9800 beats it in every benchmark. Even the 8800GTX beats it. Might want to check your sources again. The 3870 is still a great card, dont' get me wrong. But if you are considering the 3870 it would make so much more sense to just wait a couple weeks and pick up the 4870, which should be head over hills better.

And as for the mac you have, is it an Intel mac? If it is, lots of people gaming with like boot camp and parrales and having good luck. Some reports are the game plays better on the mac, if you have one with a good gfx card.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The 9800 beats a single 3870 but the 3870X2 beats the 9800GTX, which are the two cards in his comparison.

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          And as for the 3870 vs 9800GTX, the 9800 beats it in every benchmark. Even the 8800GTX beats it. Might want to check your sources again. The 3870 is still a great card, dont' get me wrong. But if you are considering the 3870 it would make so much more sense to just wait a couple weeks and pick up the 4870, which should be head over hills better.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ah, was just going from the post above stating just 3870.
                            Also, looking at the 1st option, it is a bit tight with only a 550 watt PSU offered, and it is supposed to run a quad core, 9800GTX, large harddrive, and 8 gigs of RAM. It is in a cooler master case, which probably means a cooler master PSU. They are not known as a powerhouse PSU, which means it is probably only putting out ~500 or less when the thing really heats up, like during a game.

The 2nd choice doesn't list a PSU at all, but if it has a 3750X2, considering that GFX card has been known to use over 350 watts by itself, it better have a really good high quality PSU included. The 3870X2 is a fast card, but it also puts out a TON of heat, so you are going to want to look at how good a case that is, how many places for extra fans it has, and an aftermarket CPU cooler for sure.
                            Newegg reviews for it look decent, but says it only comes with 2 fans, but can hold 8. If you do get it, look around and buy a couple more of the best fans you can (look for a good compromise between high air flow and noise).
                            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...enturion%2b590

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I agree that you need a better PSU no matter the system you build.

I would wait for the new video cards to be released. The new 4850 is apparently faster then the current 9800GTX and costs less. Things may really change as far as price and performance over the next month. I wouldn't spend the money on a 3870X2 or a 9800GX2 at this point as the new cards may do just as well or better for less money.

I would strongly suggest you do some research on your 24" monitors. The most recent reviews I have read (about a month ago) said that most 24" monitors are not fast enough for gameing outside of a select few. The 5-8ms repsonce times are misleading or false. It had something to do with a technology that is available on the <22" monitors but not on the 24" yet. Either way make sure you do some more looking.

Your on the right track but unfortunately every part of the computer has particulars that need to be considered for gameing. :row__593:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X