Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total system crash when playing SOME games.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total system crash when playing SOME games.

I was playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 when my computer COMPLETELY turned off. When I got back into the game it did the same thing only this time it was as soon as I entered the main menu. I worked on fixing this for a while thinking it was a problem with only that game. A few minutes ago I tried playing COD4 and it did the same thing when I was about to enter an online game. After this, I tried CS:S and it worked fine. So... I am thinking something in my system is reaching its breaking point with some higher-end games. However, I am not sure what is going on. I would appreciate some help.

SYSTEM SPECS
    ----------------
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 640MB (old version)
    E6600 Core 2 Duo @ stock 2.4 Ghz
    2 Gb of DDR2 800 (Corsair XMS)
    X-Connect 500w PSU (has had a faulty bearing for a long time)
    Gigabyte Mobo (I can't remember the type, but I am fairly sure it isn't the issue)
    Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM
    ----------------
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
    #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Re: Total system crash when playing SOME games.

Is it switching off or resetting? Do you have to press the power button to turn it back on? If so, it is probably the power supply.

Comment

Sounds like a overheating issue. Go into your bios and check your cpu, gpu temperatures.

Comment

I would agree with Draeh, usually when a system is under a load it draws more power, and if you have a faulty power supply, it may not be able to handle the load and will shut down. Although it could also be an overheating problem as well, make sure your heatsinks and fans are not plugged with dust.

Comment

I had this problem when playing higher end graphics games...

It turned out that i took my computer apart and looked around. It was pretty dusty. There was a layer of dust between the CPU fan and the heatsink. After removing the layer of dust between the two...i haven't had any problems. The motherboard has an automatic shutoff feature to protect the Processor when it gets too hot. This could also answer if it just started happening. Gotta keep them PC's clean!

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
            Is it switching off or resetting? Do you have to press the power button to turn it back on? If so, it is probably the power supply.
            I would describe it as restarting. I am not required to press the power button to turn it back on.
            The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
            83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

your 8800 GTS won't yield to COD4 mate
              and yes, is your computer having proper ventilation?
              does it shut down only when the computer has run after a few hours or does it shut down when playing games right after you opened it in the morning?

Comment

Well it doesn't matter how long he has it on if its overheating if the cpu kicks on going full load and it can't get enough heat off it will just restart so it won't kill your processor.

Comment

It doesn't matter how long it's been on, it still crashes. I am going to de-dust it soon; I have had the dust-off dust for a long time, but I never got around to using it.

I

Comment

Yeah I guess. I've experienced this problem of his sometime ago. I found that the reason was because my graphics card wasn't inserted fully into my agp slot. I just took it out and installed it firmly and viola problem solved. Hope this helps if it's not an overheating issue

Comment

Originally posted by Steamers View Post
                      Yeah I guess. I've experienced this problem of his sometime ago. I found that the reason was because my graphics card wasn't inserted fully into my agp slot. I just took it out and installed it firmly and viola problem solved. Hope this helps if it's not an overheating issue
                      That makes no sense...

Comment

to you I think

Comment

If your video card wasn't all the way in,it wouldn't show you a picture in the first place.

Comment

yes that's a logical way of thinking it if you're someone who hasn't experienced it

Comment

So I dedusted and it seemed to help, but the problem came back. Now after reading some other posts on various forums about people with similar problems, I think it's probably a memory error. I am burning a bootable disk of memtest+ and I am going to see if it turns up anything.

I

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X