Anyone used Skype?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used Skype?

So, a couple years ago I decided to drop my landline and go it only on cell. Was doing fine, and had like 1,000+ roll over mins.

That all changed the last month with all the crap that has happened from moving.
    For instance, I just sat on hold for over 1.5 hours (90+ mins.) with the IRS trying to find out why both the IRS and USPS both suck and can't figure out what a change of address means, and now our "Stimulating Package" is lost in the mail. To top it off, I sat on hold and never actually talked to a real person.

Along with all the other calls to customer service, I am now a couple hundred mins. over my limit, and want to look into skype, and in particular the thing where you can call other land phones.

Anyone out there in TG land have anything both good and bad to say about it before I spend $3.00 a month on the service?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Anyone used Skype?

Well I've used skype a lot for skype to skype calls. I'm in the same boat as you now though and I find myself looking into the unlimited calling subscriptions and the skypein number. As far as skype to skype goes, its been excellent. Sound quality is as good, if not better than landlines. No disconnects. I've only had a few, but they were related to my modem and not skype.
    I'm planning on purchasing skype unlimited, skypein, and a skype phone. Somewhat on the fence about the skype phone, but it does allow me to turn my laptop off and allow the phone to run skype.
    Sorry I didn't have too much to add, but from looking around, skype seems like the best and easiest solution to not paying a fortune for unlimited long distance through the phone company.

Comment

I use skype all the time. I got my mom and aunt on it so they talk to each other almost every day. Now that I live 14 hrs away, my mom talks to the kids 2 or 3 times a week. I also set everyone at work up on it, and we can have a conference call no matter where we are.

the skypein part makes searching for a business on the web so much better, as you can call from firefox or internet explorer.

I have it on a sony ux380n with cingular wwan, so I can sype most anyone from anywhere.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I started using skype a few years ago--when it was free...sigh. Since that time they have made A LOT of great improvements. I have cancelled long distance on my phone and I use skype exclusively for long distance calls. (not to mention 3 hour conference call while playing Guildwars with pals a 1000 miles away)
        Every now and then the quality is crappy, but I hang up and call back and the sound quality usually improves. Nonetheless, be aware that Skype can be fussy with some headsets. But other than that I have nothing but great things to say. I must say it feels awesome to answer Bamboo's question for a change :p
        fignut

Comment

Hey man, I am always learning new stuff here. Pretty much everything I have helped other people with is something I have read somewhere.

As an update, I am now on Skype, and got $10 worth of mins. Ended up on hold for another hour with the IRS, and then after a quick chat with a real person (about crapped my pants when they picked up) they put me on hold for another 10 mins.
          All total between yesterday and today I spent almost 3.5 hours on hold, listening to the same classical song over and over and over. Least the live lady I talked to was nice. If she had been rude or snappy I would have probably have flipped out on her, considering my cell bill will now probably need my "stimulation package" to pay it off.

Skype did work pretty well. Called my Mom (aawww......isn't that sweet) to test it out as well, and she said it sounded good on her end.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I use Skype occasionally. It can be a lifesaver if your landline/cell is tied up (or you're waiting for a important call), but need to make another call of your own.

It's also great when you need to call those international numbers but your cell doesn't have a international plan on it. :)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X