Looking for a Good Gaming Monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Good Gaming Monitor

My 19" 50 pound monitor is on its last legs so I'm in the market for a replacement. So far I've been looking at some of the Dell Ultrasharps, but I was wondering what other widescreens in the 20" - 22" range people might reccomend for gaming. Any thoughts?

Re: Looking for a Good Gaming Monitor

Acer & Samsung both have a nice set of moderately priced LCDs in that size range. I use Samsung at home and my company uses Acer. Haven't had any problems with either.

Comment

I have the 24" Dell and really like it. I play mostly COD4 and don't have any problems.

Here are my spec
      Motherboard: EVGA 780i
      Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
      Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
      DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
      Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
      Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
      CPU: E8400
      Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
      Hard Drive: 500G
      Case: Antec P182
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

I have heard good things about most of Dells monitors though I have never seen one.

My advice would be to read some reviews and learn what the different features mean. Don't rely on the 5 of 5 star ratings for a monitor from the store. Every body "LOVES!!!111!" their new monitor after only using it for 30 seconds and posts up a rating. Some monitors need to be tweaked, some are ultra fast but have poor color and some are just right.

When I bought my first LCD it had all the specs to be a good gaming monitor. Sure it didn't ghost but the color reproduction was horrible (especially blacks and greys). I returned it and got a monitor more suited to photo work with excellent color. I do get the odd bit of ghosting in really dark areas but everything else about the monitor makes up for it.

Be sure that you can return what ever monitor you buy, thats the best advice I can give you.

Comment

I have also read some good reviews for the Gateway LCDs. There is a 22 and 24" at bestbuy that you can go put hands on, just remember that in store, screens always look like crap! They are all running off the same system.
          I bought my Acer 22" when it was on sale for like $199, and even though it looked horrible in the store, looks great as I type this.

You never did mention how much you want to spend, but if I had had a bit more money at the time (I was building a whole new computer), the Samsungs always get good reviews and they look amazing.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Im in love with my Samsung 226BW http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/d...LS22MEWSFV/XAA
            22", 2ms response time (grey 2 grey), 3000:1 (dynamic) contrast

I would look around, research what you are looking for, and check out some reviews to see what others think.

Comment

If money isn't really a concern, then get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ight%2bds-263n

Comment

One more thing to add would be to stick with a 22" monitor. I believe that the 24" monitors are lagging a bit compared to 22" ones. That may have changed but that was the sense I got about two months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  There is a 22 and 24" at bestbuy that you can go put hands on, just remember that in store, screens always look like crap!
                  Thats a severe problem for me, as i'd get a new monitor to replace this 10 year old NEC MultiSync 95 CRT to get some resolutions beyond 20481536, however, EVERY time i see LCD screens, whether they be in store, on someone's computer, etc, the quality of text and color depth leaves so much to be desired vs my CRT. That and i work with screen resolutions from 320x480 to 1600x1200 normally, so most LCDs and widescreens at that would have major problems scaling down the screens, and i have trouble finding a lower-priced monitor with a good native resolution (especially widescreens, when most games, etc i play won't take a widescreen format).

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                  <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                  DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

i have a BenQ, it is a very nice 20.1'' and i have never had a problem in the 1.5 years i had it, they are pretty nicely priced and have tons of features