Tiny XP Rev 09: Windows XP with cuise control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny XP Rev 09: Windows XP with cuise control

I've posted about XP install tricks before, but this one about sounds like one of the best

Link:
    Tiny XP Rev 09: Windows XP with cuise control

Make sure you read the comments for this one, but I agree with the posters. I feel like if you actually own a copy of XP, you should be able to do with it what you want. Should be allowed by microsoft if you have a product key.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Tiny XP Rev 09: Windows XP with cuise control

OK, so is this available from anyplace that I can trust?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

From what I have seen a lot of these "stripstreamed" DVD's of XP have

a) Build in CD keys
      b) Cracked software
      c) 1 step installation - No hitting the "Next >" button

I have not dealt with TinyXP at all.. It seems more "legit" than the ones I have dealt with. There website http://tinyxp.com is slow, so I haven't looked into it much.

Using an alternate disc to install the software should be fine. I may look for an alternate Vista disc as I am getting sick of removing sticks of RAM so it doesn't BSOD during install.

If companies provide disc's that don't work properly, or are a nuisance to install I think it's natural for people to look for an easier way. They have their money, why should they care. Think of it as a pimped out backup copy.

Comment

I dunno about illegal.

I need to dive into the Eula again.

I would think as long as you install your own CD key and they leave the eula intact that it would still be technically legal....

depending on what they change I guess......

I'll get back to you on this one.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Well I just loaded it on a 40 gig partition I had.

I did this just so I can play with Tiny XP as well as load a clean system without junk just for my games. The load was nice and easy and I selected the option to load XP without WMP or IE or a few other things and it all went smooth.

I then loaded up my Omega and XFi drivers, loaded up Steam and loaded up CS:S and played a few games. No more lag spikes for me.....

I dunno whats wrong with my normal XP but this just runs very clean...

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I have made my own slipstreamed disc of XP with no problems using NliteOS. For the most part most you can find and download do have the cd-key already embedded which is not a good deal cause they can end up blacklisted.
            My old computer I ran a vary lite XP to overcome the fact the old computer was SLOW. It helped out a lot and I really recommend a person that does a lot of gaming to go with something like that to help performance issues. Making your own allows you to add or remove what you want, like the latest video drivers for your card and then remove all the generic video drivers from the disc. You can also add Firefox or whatever and usually can find on the NlitOS web site the instructions for adding or removing all the stuff you want.

I have also seen there is a version for Vista called Vlite as well. I have not tried it yet and am a little nervous about it cause I the feedback I read in the forums. Does not seem real trustworthy YET. Maybe I will break down and try it soon.

I was also told you can minipulate how to install the O/S as long as no actual changes are made to the O/S itself. Which technically you are not doing anything with the O/S itself, it is the other applications and programs that are installed during the O/S install that you are making changes to. I am not sure though.

Comment

I was trying to get my USB Flash to boot a BartPE-based XP build the other day, but with no luck. It seemed to be a problem with the Flash booting aspect. The BIOS support for booting Flash varies a lot, and is a lot more well-defined for CDROM.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

So, I've given up on Ubuntu for my laptop and want to put XP back on it. I thought TinyXP might be ideal, but it seems that it's in no way legal, so I was looking for other ways to streamline the installation and thought I'd let everyone know about Nlite and Vlite: http://www.nliteos.com/
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
                  From what I have seen a lot of these "stripstreamed" DVD's of XP have

a) Build in CD keys
                  b) Cracked software
                  c) 1 step installation - No hitting the "Next >" button

I have not dealt with TinyXP at all.. It seems more "legit" than the ones I have dealt with. There website http://tinyxp.com is slow, so I haven't looked into it much.

Using an alternate disc to install the software should be fine. I may look for an alternate Vista disc as I am getting sick of removing sticks of RAM so it doesn't BSOD during install.

If companies provide disc's that don't work properly, or are a nuisance to install I think it's natural for people to look for an easier way. They have their money, why should they care. Think of it as a pimped out backup copy.
                  Hmm, I haven't looked at TinyXP at all recently, but I sure hope they don't have a fixed CD key. I would want to use one of my own.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

XP runs reasonably well on my Asus One, but there's never a problem with trying to slim it up more...
                    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

To bring this back up. I have XP pro on my laptop and it came with the lap top, would I be able to install TinyXP on another computer legitamently
                      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Well if you have a XP CD key that is not in use, you should be able to.

The question is if TinyXP allows you to use your own CD key or if it uses a "cracked" version of XP with a fixed (or randomly generated) CD key.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My laptop is still in use (even though its battery is broken and will not charge)

would that restrict me?
                          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Hmm, well (legally), if you don't plan on fixing your laptop again (or installing some other OS on there), then you can use your lappy's CD key on the other machine with TinyXP.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Hmm, well (legally), if you don't plan on fixing your laptop again (or installing some other OS on there), then you can use your lappy's CD key on the other machine with TinyXP.
                              YAY!!!!!!! someone gets it!!!!!!!

you are absolutely correct. wiping xp from that computer does free that key for use on another computer (this is the caveat with OEM restrictions that allows for upgrading to a new computer)
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X