Ten Reasons Why Vista Isn't That Bad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Reasons Why Vista Isn't That Bad

Yes, Vista still has it's problems, but this short article explains why and the comments other readers left are pretty good as well.

Ten Reasons Why Vista Isn't That Bad

Just posting for those that still ask about it.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Ten Reasons Why Vista Isn't That Bad

I enjoy Vista. I've had the odd problem here and there but nothing serious. I think SP1 and last few have really made a difference.

I think people have problems due to older equipment most times. Drivers not being updated to include Vista.

Comment

I use x86 Vista Business SP1 on my Latitiude D630 for work, x64 Ultimate SP1 for my DVR at home, and XP SP3 as my home computer.

My experience so far is that occasionally, still, my laptop will not Sleep when it's supposed to (lid closed, or selecting Sleep) and the resolution when hot-docking gets messed up at least twice a week (meaning two days a week), and then of course... it occasionally has bouts of non-indexing non-defrag related disk activity that just boggles my mind. However, I otherwise don't mind Vista on that machine and I need to really get under the hood as it becomes more and more prolific among my clients, so....

As a DVR... it works WONDERFULLY. I feel guilty for not getting it running as a MythTV box, but honestly, I put DAYS of troubleshooting and research into MythTV and never got it to run quite right (and my remote wouldn't work even though I have the infamous PVR-150). Whereas it took less than 1.5 HOURS to load up Vista, configured the guide and both tuners (PVR-150 and the HVR-1600 Dual tuner which DOESN'T work with Myth...), and start watching and recording shows. We really enjoy the MCE part of it.

In relation to the article, I do pretty much spot-on agree with all of the points, and counter-points. The DVR would get laggy with 1GB of DDR2-800 (2x512) but now that it has 2GB... it works MUCH better.

According to a lot of reports and reviews I've read, ReadyBoost doesn't offer any real advantage unless you have 512-1GB of memory or less, and regardless of how much memory you have, some things actually SLOWED DOWN with ReadyBoost. I noticed squat improvement with a 1GB thumbdrive.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I'll switch to Vista full time when I get a new CPU. An old single core just can't handle it. The 10% game performance drop they see is typically around 50% for me.

If you've got at least a dual-core CPU and 2GB a RAM, go for it, works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Satertek View Post
          I'll switch to Vista full time when I get a new CPU. An old single core just can't handle it. The 10% game performance drop they see is typically around 50% for me.

If you've got at least a dual-core CPU and 2GB a RAM, go for it, works great.
          No truer words. I can vouch for that, too... my temporary "go-between" when my 3.2 P4-HT blew up and when I bought my 2.2 Athlon 42 (now have 2.8 X2) was a 1.8 single core Opteron... I tried Vista on it for a little while... and even with 2GB of RAM... did not run well at all.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Vista is like an expensive family car. Kinda like a Lexus SUV. It's comfortable, but it takes a lot of resources and is a bitch to fix when it breaks. It seems like the people who are complaining are the ones who tried to put the body of the Lexus on the frame and power train of their Ford Fiesta.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Had my PC for about a month now with Vista Ultimate x64, and no horror stories to report.

The closest thing to a horror story would be the day I accidentally deleted my Raid config... But that was a BIOS thing, not OS.

And I have to complain about Vista Audio. From my Klipsch 2.1 from 5-6 years ago, Vista thinks my Subwoofer is just a continuation of full-range Left and Right channels, allowing about 0 configuration abilitiy. I've tried numerous drivers but every one I use wants a completely separate Sub line. Which, again, is like me trying to throw older tech at a newer OS.

I have been wanting surround sound for quite a while now anyhow, but I'll miss these monsters on my desk.
              RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

I know Vista isn't a complete mess, but just the idea that such an article needs to be written about your OS is a bad sign.
                "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
                -- Red Forman

Comment

Originally posted by RedForman View Post
                  I know Vista isn't a complete mess, but just the idea that such an article needs to be written about your OS is a bad sign.
                  Every OS needs this kind of article. There is not a great OS out there.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    Every OS needs this kind of article. There is not a great OS out there.
                    Agreed. I'm a big Linux fan, but it's anything but perfect. Ease of use is not its primary focus. It's lean and mean, and is good on lower-end hardware. Vista is best deployed on expensive high-end hardware.

One gripe I have with MS is the hardware bundling rules that make it almost impossible for a hardware vendor to offer alternatives. (I don't know if it's still in place, but there was a rule at one time to disallow shipping the hard disk with a boot manager that allowed one to boot both Windows and an alternative.)

Imagine if you went to the hardware store and the screwdriver vendor said the store couldn't sell you a prybar or a knife at the same time as a screwdriver. One could imagine that everyone would just use the screwdriver for prying and cutting, because of the hassle of needing to make a separate trip for a more appropriate tool.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Good find Bam. Would +1 you if I was still a SM. :)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I need to find out how to get my other comp running vista to increase my downloads of Newsbin files

Comment

VegaBond, I don't understand. You OS shouldn't have that much to do with how fast you download a file.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by VegaBond View Post
                            I need to find out how to get my other comp running vista to increase my downloads of Newsbin files
                            Are you talking about the speed of downloads or how many you can have running concurrently?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yep, the big value of 64 bit is the larger amount of addressable memory and the larger number of registers. It won't affect your bandwidth.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X