Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some quick help with selecting a motherboard...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some quick help with selecting a motherboard...

Okay, in no way am I a "noob" when it comes to hardware. Just thought I throw that out there for some of the newer posters.

I'm trying to finalize my internal hardware list for my next system and unfortunately, the motherboard I had originally selected is no longer available anywhere online (might be discontinued).

I'm trying to find a new motherboard and have quickly narrowed down my options to four potential boards. Unfortunately, I've never had a recent Intel board as part of my builds. So I need pros, cons, and whatever issues people have run into with Intel boards.

Here are my choices:

If you guys want to recommend another board, please keep the following in mind:
    • Must Have: Dual-Channel memory support
    • Must Have: 1333 FSB support for C2D (No O.C. mode to achieve this)

I plan on ordering before July 3rd even rolls around the corner. I'm trying to take advantage of the various free shipping offers and trying to give myself enough time to troubleshoot if need be.

Advice/Recommend away! :row__690:
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Need some quick help with selecting a motherboard...

I have used Gigabyte boards exclusively for all the systems I've built in the past like 10-ish years. I've only ever had one problem, the fan on the northbridge went out on a system I had like 8 years ago. Their boards are quite reliable, and usually aren't too expensive either.

Here's a list of some boards that should meet your specs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=4%u00d7240pin

This is the board I have in my system currently:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128059
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Acreo, you didn't mention what your budget for the MB is, and what kind of computer you are building. The first 2 you linked to above are boards with built in graf. Are you building a Home Theater PC?
      If this is a game rig, you are going with a dedicated gfx. card right?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Check out TomHardware site. They have some recent builds to look at.

www.tomshardware.com/us/
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
          I have used Gigabyte boards exclusively for all the systems I've built in the past like 10-ish years. I've only ever had one problem, the fan on the northbridge went out on a system I had like 8 years ago. Their boards are quite reliable, and usually aren't too expensive either.
          +1

I've also been using Gigabyte exclusively for years now ever since my last ABit board crapped out on me.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
            I'm not quite ready to go back to Gigabyte. The current system I'm using was on a Gigabyte board from several years ago. I had nothing but problems with memory on it since opening the box. Several RMAs did nothing to help either, but have me throwing away dollars on s/h.

From what I've read on various tech forums, people still have issue with the touted D3 series with all kinds of memory from the basic value line of Corsairs and Kingston to the ones preferred by overclocking enthusiasts.

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
            Acreo, you didn't mention what your budget for the MB is, and what kind of computer you are building. The first 2 you linked to above are boards with built in graf. Are you building a Home Theater PC?
            If this is a game rig, you are going with a dedicated gfx. card right?
            Sorry, was in a hurry to post this.

I'm building a gaming rig. As for budget, I don't want to spend more than $120 on the motherboard.

I don't really care if there's built-in graphics. It usually either fails or doesn't fail. No biggie to me since I'll be using a dedicated card.

Onboard sound is a must at this junction, b/c the sound card I want puts me out of my budget of $600-650 for: mobo, cpu, ram, hdd, gfx, and vista.

The other parts for this system are as follows:
            • Core 2 Duo E8400
            • 2 x 2 GB of RAM (brand and such would be determined by the motherboard...)
            • eVGA 8800GT (more power than a 9600GT and fits inside my case)
            • Seagate 250 GB HDD (16 MB Cache)
            • Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

I found 3 more ASUS boards (on a suggestion from a friend):

People are intermittenly reporting DOAs on all three of these boards and failures within the first 6 months. All of ones I've read are recent. It has me concerned, even though I'm running a low-end ASUS with no problems.
            Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I would say go for the Gig boards mentioned above, or ASUS.

If I was buying right now at that price point, I would pick between these 2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128345

In the end, I would go with the ASUS because reviews are always good and I love mine. It also has the new express gate that I have been talking about a lot here in the forums. It lets you boot up a very small version of Linux if you want right at the beginning instead of or along with Windows. So you can have internet up in less than 5 sec., as well as other apps. It will even let windows load in the background, so you can do stuff while waiting for Vista to boot up.

Yes, it is $135, a bit over the $120 I know, but it is the cheapest ASUS p45, and going with P45 you are going to have those feature to last more into the future than a p35, which you could get for cheaper.

If you want some p35 options, post back and I will review back through them as well.

Looked around a bunch of other places, and zipzoomfly has the Asus P5Q for $125

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...dlist=celebros

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I have an Asus p5n-E SLI board, and I would not recommend it at all..I am going to replace it, more than likely, with the XFX 790i board.

Comment

Again, I constantly hear people have way more problems with nvidia chipsets then intel.
                  Birdie, that board is an Nvidia SLI board.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

With some help from Bamboo, eVGA Tech Support, ASUS Tech Support, and various technology forums, I've narrowed it down to the following parts (for reference):
                    • ASUS P5Q Mobo
                    • Core 2 Duo E8400 (3 Ghz)
                    • 2 x 2GB of G.Skill RAM (DDR 800)
                    • eVGA 8800GT Superclocked vs. eVGA 9600GT OC
                    • Seagate 250 GB HDD (7200.10 series)
                    • Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Two things still on my mind:
                    1. ASUS P5Q Mobo
                    This thing is outta my price range already by quite a bit, but Bam has me convinced that the PCI-E 2.0 and features set of the P45 is worth the extra cost 4 years down the road when I'll still be using this rig.

2. eVGA 8800GT Superclocked vs. eVGA 9600GT OC
                    I'm still waiting on Bam's assessment on this, but he is out grocery shopping.

If any of you have input on which of these cards are better, speak up now.

NOTE: The 9600GT OC I have listed has a core clock of 740 Mhz, so it should not be confused with the usual 9600GT with a core clock of 650 Mhz.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I like that setup. The one thing I'd change is to go for a much bigger drive. I'm told that Conan takes almost 40 GB installed. Games will only get bigger, and drives are relatively cheap. Or put all your games on a USB2 or eSATA external drive. (That can make it easier to wipe and reload the OS.)
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The First PC I built was a Gigabyte board. Ran great for a few years then total failure...

Since then my current build is an Asus, and no problems to report. I am also thinking about building a new PC myself and already know that I will be using an Asus board first and foremost. However I will add that the Asus tech support is a little lacking when there is a problem. My brother in law is a Network Admin/Company PC Tech, so he tends to build 5 to 20 new PCs a month and last I knew he was Asus exclusive. (With the exception of terminals, there he uses some integrated CPU/Mobo combo)

From the last post I have to say you look to have a nice setup in the works

~ Draken

Comment

Okay I've gone ahead and ordered the following parts:
                          • Core 2 Duo E8400 (3 Ghz)
                          • 2 x 2GB of Corsair DDR2 800 RAM
                          • eVGA 8800GT (512 MB)
                          • Seagate 7200.10 HDD (320 GB)
                          • Vista Home Premium x64 (w/ SP1)
                          • 3 x 120 Masscool Case Fans (to replace the 4-pin Antecs)

Special Thanks: Bamboo (aka "Food of the Panda")
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You are going to be loving the new rig. You will get goose bumps when you see your FPS in FRAPS for the 1st week.:icon20:

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              You are going to be loving the new rig. You will get goose bumps when you see your FPS in FRAPS for the 1st week.:icon20:
                              Seeing how I can't use FRAPS on this old machine, I might just use it on the new one. :)
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X